• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Draft

Super Rugby Draft

• stupid seppo style rubbish

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • sounds like fun

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Kiwis will have a cry about this

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Go Blues

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Nothing can save Super Rugby

• I don't like this idea

• I will wait to see if it works or not then pass judgement like a Monday morning quarterback genius

• a bunch of foreigners in my team? GTFO

• I like pole

• pole4life

• Total voters

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)

OK, all current soup rugby players names go in the hat.

Pick your Top 24 draft picks if the draft was held today.

12 teams, say, 2 rounds.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I assume the players get to choose whether they go into the draft or not? If not I can see a few not taking the risk of ending up somewhere they don't want to go & instead looking at Japan or Europe where they'd at least have some control. If so what if no current AB & Wob put their hands up?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wrote this in the Brumbies thread why I think the draft is a bad idea.

The issue with a draft is it could be thing that tips a player over to the NRL/overseas if they don’t want to sign with a club they don’t want to play/live in.

I believe this is partly a reason why the NRL doesn't have a draft either. It only works in the AFL and the 4 American big leagues because that's those players' only options to play.

Draft great for everyone but the players and when the players have leverage - not so great.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Also one of the key components of the US drafts is set salaries depending on the draft positions. I can’t see rugby implementing that, wouldn’t be very fair if someone was leaving a 100-300k on the table along with signing for a team they don’t want to play with.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I wrote this in the Brumbies thread why I think the draft is a bad idea.

I believe this is partly a reason why the NRL doesn't have a draft either. It only works in the AFL and the 4 American big leagues because that's those players' only options to play.

Draft great for everyone but the players and when the players have leverage - not so great.
Yep qwerty what I have said for years,(and I believe anyone who thought about it would see the problem) it I would bet NRL, NH clubs would love it to be brought in, that's why I just laughed at the turkey from AFL who was spouting off about it because he works for Sky TV.
But as Dismal says this is just a fantasy draft fun thing.
So for the Canes, we will take Jordie (not looking at present Canes players) I would be drafting probably Fletcher Newell and Samisoni Taukei’aho guessing we only allowed a couple each.