• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby in Buenos Aires by 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Super 15 is by far the best Rugby competition I have seen, but this may be because the Reds have won it every year:lmao:

I like the conference system, but would like to see a longer season. But as an Aussie I realise that this will damage the domestic comps in NZ and RSA

The Argies as our SH broer now and needs our help just as we helped Aus rugby with the S100. Find it strange when Rebels supporters post like that. Myself hate this S100 competition from the start and still do.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
it's 6000km from buenos aires to cape town and 8000km to durban. that's comparable to playing in Pakistan if you were a western force fan. the distance is just as massive for a 'domestic' competition. imagine if an aus team had a game against the bulls one week and had to play in argentina sometime in the next two weeks, jet lag would kill them. the same issues come up when people sugest japan (which already has it's own pro league anyway) or US, too far and too expensive. if they have to be involved, then have a continental cup with them after our own domestic competitions are wrapped up.

NZ is closer to Buenos Aires than it is to Cape Town by the way though...

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Did you think the same way when they change a much better S14 to the S15 one year back?

I think you are misinterpreting me, due to my poor choice of wording. I am not against further expansion within the current three countries, to say, a S16 or S18. My key point is that further travel outside the current 3 countries for regular competition is impossible. The logical extension of argentina coming into the super rugby comp is that they eventually grow the number of teams in it. There is no way that model could work long term. It would end up with south africa and argentina playing in one half and nz and aus in the other half. You could not make 4 fully workable conferences flying between countries without destroying players.

The Rebels are within the current three nations system, travel is no different to any other aussie east coast state. In fact, much easier for our conference overall.

I agree we need to do everything we can to foster other countries, but i think the change from 4 to 5 aussie teams, as opposed to including another whole country in the comp is two completely different kettles of fish. The idea of them coming and playing in the Aussie conference is something I agree to on principle, but the implications of that for the long-term future of the competition seem odd. They would be away from home the whole year, and where do you expand from there? Maybe it could be a temporary stop-gap until their own comp when pro?

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Have a team based in Antarctica, will be a good stop over point for teams doing the long hop from NZ to Argentina or South Africa etc etc... :)

No prizes for guessing what would the team nickname or mascot be...

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Have a team based in Antarctica, will be a good stop over point for teams doing the long hop from NZ to Argentina or South Africa etc etc... :)

No prizes for guessing what would the team nickname or mascot be...

Lol. Interesting idea. Do eskimos have a haka equivalent?

Edit: Oh wait, that'd be the north pole. Bah.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
This is what i see happening SH rugby. Super rugby effectively changes its structure from a league to a continental cup and countries go to their own domestic pro leagues with qualification spots up for grabs for the 'new' super rugby.

Currie Cup
Top 4 teams

ARC (current super teams + extras)
Top 3 teams

ITM Cup
Top 4 Teams

Argentine Primera Rugby (new nationwide Pro competition)
Top 3 Teams

Japan Top League
Top 2 Teams

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I know for a fact that the USAR is very interested in establishing a West Coast Super Rugby franchise, they actually put through an EOI last time but were informed that Melbourne was the team that was going to get in but were encouraged to apply once again in 2015. Set up a Americas conference or even two. One South another North (this could actually happen, there are serious investors looking at a viable means to introduce professional Rugby to Nth America). Eventually we can probably expect to see Super Rugby evolve in 5 or even 6 conference playing internally with the best 2 or 3 teams moving onto a finals series.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
wow never heard that before. i like the sound of foreign teams and would like to see a Pacific Islander or argentinean team based in aus as well if we continued with the current format. If they were played internally, i would be unsure of persisting with a conference system though instead of just separating the nations. Would each union be allowed to adapt their conference to their needs if it was still the same cup? For example, would the South Africans be allowed to have promotion and relegation as they currently do in the currie cup and NZ would probably want to do the same. I'm thinking tribalism might be encouraged if each country had their own competition like in europe.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
USA, Canada and Mexico should be left to develop in their own biosphere. Same as Japan is never gonna be included. The (future) Quad Nations are all that is available and viable right now.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
wow never heard that before. i like the sound of foreign teams and would like to see a Pacific Islander or argentinean team based in aus as well if we continued with the current format. If they were played internally, i would be unsure of persisting with a conference system though instead of just separating the nations. Would each union be allowed to adapt their conference to their needs if it was still the same cup? For example, would the South Africans be allowed to have promotion and relegation as they currently do in the currie cup and NZ would probably want to do the same. I'm thinking tribalism might be encouraged if each country had their own competition like in europe.

Was told that by the CEO of USAR himself, Nigel Melville. Additionally, I think that's the way the conference will go that way where both the CC and ITM will over time incorporate into Super Rugby so they play their seasons internally (we get our domestic competition) and then move onto a united finals series.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
USA, Canada and Mexico should be left to develop in their own biosphere. Same as Japan is never gonna be included. The (future) Quad Nations are all that is available and viable right now.

The USAR board are actively seeking professional opportunities for their players both present and future. This is the best way they have decided upon. Even suggested approaching the Pro12 (formerly the Magners League) to see if they could get an American team in that competition as well. Mexico are a very long way from being competitive against the likes of the US and wouldn't make a good developmental fit.

A

Army_Gav

Would be good if they hosted a Churchill Cup game in Mexico. Spark a lot more interest in the game, perhaps Gringoes vs Jaguars?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
The USAR board are actively seeking professional opportunities for their players both present and future. This is the best way they have decided upon. Even suggested approaching the Pro12 (formerly the Magners League) to see if they could get an American team in that competition as well. Mexico are a very long way from being competitive against the likes of the US and wouldn't make a good developmental fit.

We should host some of their young players at our Academies, I would imagine there must be some strong units if they are from an American Football background. The main thing is they dont take our kids spots, but are as an extra

W

wikman

What about something like in the EPL although instead combine the Currie Cup ITM and an Australian competition to make a division below the super rugby competition. Such as the bottom 2 or 3 teams in the Super 15 get relegated into the division below and the top 2 or 3 are put up into the Super 15.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
What about something like in the EPL although instead combine the Currie Cup ITM and an Australian competition to make a division below the super rugby competition. Such as the bottom 2 or 3 teams in the Super 15 get relegated into the division below and the top 2 or 3 are put up into the Super 15.

and where will the money for this been generate from?

W

wikman

I'm not saying now or in the near future, but in the expansion of 2015. Would need a lot of work to get going but would be worth it and improve level of competition.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Interesting but unlikely. Too many vested interests among the current stakeholders I'd imagine as well as it could make some the logistics of travel more of a nightmare than an extended Super Rugby championship. For that to have happened it would have had to occur at inception. My bet is on the conference system providing the framework for any future expansion. I think we'll over time definitely see more teams enter each of the pre-existing conferences and new conferences added to the competition to grow into new markets. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to one see a 5 conference system with as many as 8 teams in each conference.

Each team will play one another twice within their own conference (so effectively the ITM and Currie Cup for or Kiwi and SA brothers) before the top 4 from each progress onto Heineken Cup like series. Knockout system until a champion is crowned or something like that. If it ever gets there I'll be bold and suggest the likes of the NRL will have to be very nervous regarding talent as a competition of this magnitude would certainly draw quite a significant TV deal alongside sponsorship.

W

wikman

Interesting but unlikely. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to one see a 5 conference system with as many as 8 teams in each conference.

Each team will play one another twice within their own conference (so effectively the ITM and Currie Cup for or Kiwi and SA brothers) before the top 4 from each progress onto Heineken Cup like series. Knockout system until a champion is crowned or something like that.

I agree it is unlikely although it would make more interesting rugby games and pit teams against those of the same level. Also whatever expansion method is undertaken it is going to be good regardless as its more rugby to watch. However the 5 conference system you proposed could make the season very long and the public interest would no doubt fall after the initial hype over the new season.

Status
Not open for further replies.