• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Pre-Season Trial: Waratahs v Brumbies

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Saturday 4 February
Kick-off: 6:30 pm
Exies Sports Club, Griffith

Eddie's going to be there!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reg, I had started a thread covering all the trial matches, thinking that there would be benefit in having all the information about teams and results, including those relating to NZ teams, in the one place. However, if it is better to separate them, then perhaps the previous thread needs to be amalgamated with this one. Most of the comments were related to Brumbies I think.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The first half side looks the best available. Good to see Swinton back.

Assume Bell, Porecki, Hooper, Gordon, Holloway and Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) are all rested and the rest injured.

Hope they give us an update when HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Foketi, Perese, Walton, Harrison will be ready to play.

Attachments

• C6B8252D-DBD5-49B8-A543-511727CFBDFE.jpeg
    C6B8252D-DBD5-49B8-A543-511727CFBDFE.jpeg
    731.9 KB · Views: 145
  • B87D1F55-D2D2-42F6-AC88-D1793ECE7ED6.jpeg
    B87D1F55-D2D2-42F6-AC88-D1793ECE7ED6.jpeg
    890.8 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Harrison, Bell and Perese were on Waratahs social media running yesterday. Also seen HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) doing some strength work a while back.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
The first half side looks the best available. Good to see Swinton back.

Assume Bell, Porecki, Hooper, Gordon, Holloway and Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) are all rested and the rest injured.

Hope they give us an update when HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Foketi, Perese, Walton, Harrison will be ready to play.
“Wallabies Michael Hooper, Jake Gordon, Jed Holloway, Izzy Perese, Foketi, Dave Porecki, Angus Bell, Nawaqanitawase and Harry Johnson-Holmes were not considered for the first trial. All bar Johnson-Holmes are expected to be available for the first round of Super Rugby.”

This answers a couple of those from SMH article.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Don't know about Tua's eligibilty, but saw a report he is interested in playing for the Wallabies at some stage.

Brumbies' players I'll be particularly watching in the trials :

Fred Kaihea (LHP) - a couple of seasons behind Slipper and Sio didn't see much opportunity, but reports say he's particularly strong in open play. Set piece will be of interest;

Charlie Cale (No 8) - very strong JID Cup season last year and I believe finished as top try scorer. Looks to be very quick and has good footwork;

Tamati Tua (No 12) - came from NZ's NPC last year so expected to have the talent to make a statement at SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) level;

Corey Toole (No 11) - World 7s player of the year last year I think and a star at 15s in the JID Cup comp previously. Looking to see him step up to Super Rugby level;

Declan Meredith (No 15) - Down from Cairns so very little known about him, but he performed particularly strongly at fullback in a trial match against the Tahs late last year. Looks to have a lot of promise.

I am surprised to see Nick Frost listed for the second half. After his impressive and high workload efforts on the EOYT I expected he would be rested until next week.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Was the HSBC Rookie of the year and ‘Impact player of the year’ which sounds an awful lot like the MVP.

The Impact Player is a statistical thing they have at every event. They add up carries, offloads, line-breaks and tackles.

Ireland's Terry Kennedy won the World Rugby 7s Player of the Year Award in 2022. Toole was a nominee along with Nick Malouf and Fiji's Kaminieli Rasaku.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Was the HSBC Rookie of the year and ‘Impact player of the year’ which sounds an awful lot like the MVP.

He was only a nominee, Terry Kennedy was the world sevens player of the year:

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
How tall is he? He's an interesting prospect but part of me wonders if he'll go the same way Hutchison did and struggle in 15s if he's too short/not getting the same space. Rebels no doubt didn't help the development.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Someone is here mentioned there was an injury of some sort. Hopefully not related to the same knee and he'll be available for round 1. He played some good footy for BoP late last year and looks to have physically got stronger.

Hope a lot of the players left out of this week's trial at least get into one prior to Round 1. Even if its 30 mins it definitely helps to blow some rust off