• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Pre-Season Trial: Waratahs v Brumbies

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Did anyone who watched get a sense of the tackling? Any cards or are players going low?
No cards but a few penalties for marginal high shots. No out and out head highs from either side. I thought the referee was being pedantic on some of his rulings. Certainly seemed to like being in the spotlight, unnecessarily so imo.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
People probably want to know how the various Hookers performed.

All were pretty good and I think there was only one lineout steal by the Brumbies off Latu's throw in the game. Lonergan was the pick of the 2s for his stronger work around the park, but interestingly, the Brumbies showcased another youngster of promise in Bowron. Think he played U18s last year. Big lad and busy in open play. Lineout throwing on the mark.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
How did the Brumby 12 candidates look?
Wallaby Way answered this when he said;
Tua and Sapsford were pretty disappointing...they need to get their hands on the ball more.
Truthfully, hard to draw any concrete conclusions as I don't feel there was enough from either to say one way of the other. Tua looked a little passive for me, needed to inject himself more.

I actually didn't mind watching Edmed at 12 for the Tah's (before he shifted to 10) and wonder how much they might try him there this season. He's a little on the smaller side, more in the To'omua vein than some of the larger 12's running around, but there is a nice solidity about his play and defensive reads.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Debreczini so far outpointing Donaldson in the 10 spot.
That will throw a name in the mix when it comes to the business end of the season. How did he go? I used to like the way he took the ball to the line and kicked strongly. Lolesio will come under pressure.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
People probably want to know how the various Hookers performed.

All were pretty good and I think there was only one lineout steal by the Brumbies off Latu's throw in the game. Lonergan was the pick of the 2s for his stronger work around the park, but interestingly, the Brumbies showcased another youngster of promise in Bowron. Think he played U18s last year. Big lad and busy in open play. Lineout throwing on the mark.

Actually thought Latu played well. His throwing was good, looked straighter than some of Lonergan's (his first one in the second half didn't look square to me). He was solid off the back of the rolling maul for his try, industrious in squaring up in the line defensively and generally had a solid performance. He's a solid step up from Tom Horton.

Mahe played ok. Dropped a ball he shouldn't have, but otherwise performed his role well, was dynamic in getting involved. He's still a little unpolished at times, not always clinical, but he brings a nice energy about him and seems to keep improving.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
That will throw a name in the mix when it comes to the business end of the season. How did he go? I used to like the way he took the ball to the line and kicked strongly. Lolesio will come under pressure.
I thought he played well enough, but I think people might be edging towards hyping him a little. The Brumbies play off 9 so much, I'm not sure he was even first receiver more oft than not. Didn't really setup anything specific I can recall. He kicked well. There was one 50/22 and a chip over that had a nice bounce back which was good, but he also had a punt over earlier in the game I felt he put a little too much on the I believe Jorgensen collected well. He dropped the ball when he ran into 15 (Meredith?). Ran at the line a time or two to no effect. He is a big step up from Iona, has a nice big frame similar to a Jordie Barrett with an equally big boot which will be a nice addition to the Brumbies game.

I actually thought Andy Murihead had some really nice touches.

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)
I thought he played well enough, but I think people might be edging towards hyping him a little. The Brumbies play off 9 so much, I'm not sure he was even first receiver more oft than not. Didn't really setup anything specific I can recall. He kicked well. There was one 50/22 and a chip over that had a nice bounce back which was good, but he also had a punt over earlier in the game I felt he put a little too much on the I believe Jorgensen collected well. He dropped the ball when he ran into 15 (Meredith?). Ran at the line a time or two to no effect. He is a big step up from Iona, has a nice big frame similar to a Jordie Barrett with an equally big boot which will be a nice addition to the Brumbies game.

think people might be edging towards hyping him a little

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Actually thought Latu played well. His throwing was good, looked straighter than some of Lonergan's (his first one in the second half didn't look square to me). He was solid off the back of the rolling maul for his try, industrious in squaring up in the line defensively and generally had a solid performance. He's a solid step up from Tom Horton.

Mahe played ok. Dropped a ball he shouldn't have, but otherwise performed his role well, was dynamic in getting involved. He's still a little unpolished at times, not always clinical, but he brings a nice energy about him and seems to keep improving.
Latu did play good. As I mentioned, all the hookers seemed to play good. I don't think there was a crooked throw or overthrow called all game. The Brumbies did come away from a Tahs lineout with the ball on one occasion and as far as I recall that was off a Latu throw in, but maybe it was just a case of being outjumped I can't be sure.

What did you think of the performance by Liam Bowron late in the game?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Not wanting to hype Jack D up too much, but he controls a game much better than any of the other prospects at 10. His kicking game keeps an opposition under a lot of pressure and his passing game had support players threatening the line on occasions. He did take the ball to the blindside near his own goal line and set up a run by a couple of suuport players to take it to around the halfway line.

I reckon he will be a valuable addition to the Brumbies, but I'd really like to see the team go with two play makers, Lolesio at 10 and Debreczini at 15. Not sure if that will happen but it would open up a lot more opportunities to attack when in possession imo. It would be too much like a continuation of MacKellar's game plan to have Jack at 12 in my view, and all oppositions are familiar with that approach. I'd like to see Larkham mix it up a bit and make some changes to reflect his own ideas and personality, but there is little opportunity otherwise when the forward pack is stacked with Wallabies and the outside backs are pretty well set in concrete - Ikitau, Wright, and Muirhead. 10 and 15 look to be it if he wants to do something different this year.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Not wanting to hype Jack D up too much, but he controls a game much better than any of the other prospects at 10. His kicking game keeps an opposition under a lot of pressure and his passing game had support players threatening the line on occasions. He did take the ball to the blindside near his own goal line and set up a run by a couple of suuport players to take it to around the halfway line.

I reckon he will be a valuable addition to the Brumbies, but I'd really like to see the team go with two play makers, Lolesio at 10 and Debreczini at 15. Not sure if that will happen but it would open up a lot more opportunities to attack when in possession imo. It would be too much like a continuation of MacKellar's game plan to have Jack at 12 in my view, and all oppositions are familiar with that approach. I'd like to see Larkham mix it up a bit and make some changes to reflect his own ideas and personality, but there is little opportunity otherwise when the forward pack is stacked with Wallabies and the outside backs are pretty well set in concrete - Ikitau, Wright, and Muirhead. 10 and 15 look to be it if he wants to do something different this year.
“Not wanting to hype Jack D up too much”….after 1 trial… I think you are.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
think people might be edging towards hyping him a little
Clunky phrasing on my part :) ... but the general chatter I was getting on his performance (not just here) felt a little overstated from what I saw (he seemed to one of the few names the game commentators seemed to know during the feed). I do look forward to seeing him in an actual SuperRugby game again and then we'll get a true sense of where he's at. It's good for the Brumbies the have a solid second 10 option.

Latu did play good. As I mentioned, all the hookers seemed to play good. I don't think there was a crooked throw or overthrow called all game. The Brumbies did come away from a Tahs lineout with the ball on one occasion and as far as I recall that was off a Latu throw in, but maybe it was just a case of being outjumped I can't be sure.

What did you think of the performance by Liam Bowron late in the game?
There was one with a really tight camera angle for which the throw looked a little crooked out of the hands, but it was hard to see with how it was framed so it was probably fine. Haven't gone back to watch.

Liam came on in the last 10mins of so? He looked serviceable. Seem to recall a decent scrum, lineout plus him hitting a few rucks... on back of a rolling maul towards the end. I remember thinking he looked a little on the taller side?

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
“Not wanting to hype Jack D up too much”….after 1 trial… I think you are.
Two games LB. He was just as influential in a trial against the Tahs at the end of last year. Took control of the game in the first half then, and only after being replaced for the second half did Jack Bowen then take charge.

EDIT : What impresses me most about his performance is his composure and apparently has more time for decision making and execution. I'm sure we'll get to see him in the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) teams from time to time.

Last edited:

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)
Two games LB. He was just as influential in a trial against the Tahs at the end of last year. Took control of the game in the first half then, and only after being replaced for the second half did Jack Bowen then take charge.

EDIT : What impresses me most about his performance is his composure and apparently has more time for decision making and execution. I'm sure we'll get to see him in the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) teams from time to time.
Totally agree definitely pick of all 10 s on the day.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Whether Debreczeni was the best 10 on ground or not is definitely coloured by the two contrasting styles of the teams. The Waratahs were controlling the game from 10 and seeking to run the ball either to the outside backs or to midfield forward pods in the centre of the park (especially when the ruck was close to a sideline). The Brumbies kicked a lot, as usual, so they didn't run off 10 much. This was despite a couple of really nice breaks - the blindside breakout in the second half worked a treat.

But it was a trial. Trials, particularly the first of the season, are about getting things you want to do in the season established in the secondary players so they can come on seamlessly if they are called up. Additionally, neither team would have wanted to show off their gameplans with them playing for real in a month. In the first few minutes Nadolo had a couple of really effective runs, but I don't think he touched an attacking ball thereafter. Someone obviously decided that they didn't want the Brumbies seeing anything more of him.

I saw enough from both teams to think they are probably going to pretty tough to beat all year, but then its only the first trial!!!!

I was quite impressed with Taleni Siu, he looked like he belonged. Its an area where the Tahs are weak, so I'm hopeful.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
All very true Hawko. but with Eddie Jones there, wouldn't the more senior players have wanted to show a bit extra in front of the Wallabies coach and selector?

Nadolo did look good early. Also impressed with one of the props but don't know his name (not Holz or Tet Faulkner).

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
All very true Hawko. but with Eddie Jones there, wouldn't the more senior players have wanted to show a bit extra in front of the Wallabies coach and selector?

Nadolo did look good early. Also impressed with one of the props but don't know his name (not Holz or Tet Faulkner).
Maybe you saw the Brumbies as being totally dominant everywhere, but the game I watched was fairly even. If your comment applies to both teams then some of the senior Brumby players didn't want to impress Eddie either.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Tahs ran in some decent tries despite this thread suggesting only one side was playing

Nice to actually see that second try from the Tah's (my BarTV feed crapped out around then). Really nice hands from Mahe to Tet.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Great finishing by Toole. Beautiful skill. Looked out in that first try but classy either way.