• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Pre-Season Trial: Waratahs v Brumbies

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Maybe you saw the Brumbies as being totally dominant everywhere, but the game I watched was fairly even. If your comment applies to both teams then some of the senior Brumby players didn't want to impress Eddie either.
Definitely applies to both sides.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I reckon he will be a valuable addition to the Brumbies, but I'd really like to see the team go with two play makers, Lolesio at 10 and Debreczini at 15. Not sure if that will happen but it would open up a lot more opportunities to attack when in possession imo. It would be too much like a continuation of MacKellar's game plan to have Jack at 12 in my view, and all oppositions are familiar with that approach. I'd like to see Larkham mix it up a bit and make some changes to reflect his own ideas and personality, but there is little opportunity otherwise when the forward pack is stacked with Wallabies and the outside backs are pretty well set in concrete - Ikitau, Wright, and Muirhead. 10 and 15 look to be it if he wants to do something different this year.
Once White returns at 9, both players will get limited opportunities to run the backline. White is where the Brumbies control the game from and he makes 50+% of the plays. Lolesio, Debreczeni or both isn't going to make much difference.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Once White returns at 9, both players will get limited opportunities to run the backline. White is where the Brumbies control the game from and he makes 50+% of the plays. Lolesio, Debreczeni or both isn't going to make much difference.
That's one viewpoint, and is MacKellar-esque. Don't you think Larkham might change things up a bit? He's quoted in today's Canberra Times as saying he wants a more attacking style which will include more ball running but retaining a kicking game when required. Sounds ideal for someone like Debreczini and maybe an unleashed Lolesio.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
That's one viewpoint, and is MacKellar-esque. Don't you think Larkham might change things up a bit? He's quoted in today's Canberra Times as saying he wants a more attacking style which will include more ball running but retaining a kicking game when required. Sounds ideal for someone like Debreczini and maybe an unleashed Lolesio.
Larkham can only be good news for a 10 at the Brumbies … the wingers will be happy too!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Maybe his coaching style has changed but Larkham’s previous stint as coach of the Brumbies had them playing an even more forwards oriented game then they did under McKellar.
Yeah, it was like Jake White never left

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Maybe his coaching style has changed but Larkham’s previous stint as coach of the Brumbies had them playing an even more forwards oriented game than they did under McKellar.

I never understood the Larkham ‘attack coach’ hype, both the Brumbies and Wallabies backs were poor in attack with him as the attack coach. Why he was ever promoted to Wallabies attack coach baffled me.

ironically, the defence of the Brumbies was quite good when he was backs coach

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe his coaching style has changed but Larkham’s previous stint as coach of the Brumbies had them playing an even more forwards oriented game then they did under McKellar.

Peter Hewat obviously deserves a lot of credit as attack coach under McKellar, as that Brumbies team early in 2020 looked like the complete package...

Broken record Slim - Hewat would be someone I'd like to see back in Australia.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Peter Hewat obviously deserves a lot of credit as attack coach under McKellar, as that Brumbies team early in 2020 looked like the complete package...

Is he any relation to Reece Hewat, the flanker?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would say basically no chance that Peter and Reece Hewat are related.

Peter was born in Northern NSW and Reece was born in South Africa.

They did both go to Nudgee College though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

There is something about backs who lacked, let us say, the natural talents of the top players, but got there through being students of the game, that they become good attack coaches,

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Absolutely @fatprop in terms of coaching experience they have been developing those skills for at least a decade more than some others because of the nature of their player development. First person that came to mind was Rod Kafer. Some will say he only got as far as he did because he was in the Brumbies system, but he also had to be able to make it into the Brumbies system. Kafer may not have coached a lot but I think would have been a good hands on coach if he had chosen that path more permanently.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah, it was like Jake White never left

If I remember right the Brumbies scored the most tries out of all the Aussie teams in 2012/13?
He certainly enforced a policy of dominating up front and at set piece but the backs had plenty of fun once they got the ball.