• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby: Rd 2. NSW Waratahs v Crusaders, Sat Mar 2

NSFW vs Cantabs

• I hope they both lose.

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • When Death Stars collide

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • NSW for the massive upset here.

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Cantabs dynasty in tatters.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • TATTERS.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Melbourne? Wut? They blew all the $$ now they're getting handed more?

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Cantabs by 60

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • not watching this *****

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Never been a real Hanigan fan but acknowledge he made a physical impact off the bench. Looks like he’s been on the roids as appears super buffed. Hopefully that result will add 5000 to Fridays gate at Allianz. Surely the Tahs deserve a crowd of 20,000 for the Highlanders game.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
What a great game! Lots of players standing up. I'd said they have the squad and players to put in performances better than they had been, so it's great to see so many players, play to their potential. Whatever they've done to flick the switch, they need to continue it.

First defensive error aside, Edmed was fantastic in that game. I'm not sure if it was him or the coaches who told him to flatten up, but how great was it to see him play flat and hard to the line, so different to that Reds game and you can't question the kids commitment.

Gordon was likewise great and back to some of his best which we haven't seen in a while.

Holloway I thought had an outstanding match.

Players like Bell, Hanigan, Walton, Sinclair were all excellent. I'm loving that boot on Walton and it's great to see him continuing to grow from those Waratah A's games he was showing up for all those years ago after his injury setbacks.

As for the Crusaders, I felt like they were rather off and that 9/10 axis really wasn't working. I'm not sure this performance was representative of their best, but you can only play what's in front of you. There is also still much in that game that the Tah's will look back on and know they could do better. Some dropped balls, defensive errors, missed kicks or things that didn't stick that mean't they left some points out there and/or let the Crusaders back in. The scrum likewise still needs some tweaking, though I agree that to my eyes I'm not sure Pickerill was getting that one right all the time.

With some players still to return and others now getting more game time, hopefully the squad will only get better.

Next up Highlanders, who I thought played some good Rugby this weekend so it'll be a good challenge. I'd love to see the boys get some real momentum with another win, especially at home, but for now I think I'll just enjoy this feeling :)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So have only just watched the replay. How bloody awesome. Crusaders a rabble and a far cry from last year but that’s a memorable win for the Tahs when you factor in last week’s performance, the injuries and the pressure they (coaching team in particular) were under.

individually the 4, 5, 6 and 7 were outstanding. I think they won the game. I want to see a lot more of FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) at 6 because that’s a strong wallaby candidate there.

love the unheralded centre pairing and then the impact of Hanigan and Reilly in particular from then bench was outstanding.

but then the two under the most pressure. Gordon and Edmed. Fantastic games by both. Best I’ve seen Tane play. Bravo. And then Gordon played the captains knock and was an awesome leader.

such a great weekend of rugby. Big result for the owner of the two licenses - RA.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
individually the 4, 5, 6 and 7 were outstanding. I think they won the game. I want to see a lot more of FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner) at 6 because that’s a strong wallaby candidate there.

but then the two under the most pressure. Gordon and Edmed. Fantastic games by both. Best I’ve seen Tane play. Bravo. And then Gordon played the captains knock and was an awesome leader
Yep, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) was immense. I also liked Gordon's nous to check when HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was due to come back on before kicking for touch, knowing FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) would come back on too.

Gee Gordon can sniff an interception a mile off when he's on his game

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So have only just watched the replay. How bloody awesome. Crusaders a rabble and a far cry from last year but that’s a memorable win for the Tahs when you factor in last week’s performance, the injuries and the pressure they (coaching team in particular) were under.

individually the 4, 5, 6 and 7 were outstanding. I think they won the game. I want to see a lot more of FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner) at 6 because that’s a strong wallaby candidate there.

love the unheralded centre pairing and then the impact of Hanigan and Reilly in particular from then bench was outstanding.

but then the two under the most pressure. Gordon and Edmed. Fantastic games by both. Best I’ve seen Tane play. Bravo. And then Gordon played the captains knock and was an awesome leader.

such a great weekend of rugby. Big result for the owner of the two licenses - RA.
Interesting comment on FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) Reg. I think he had an excellent game yesterday, as did Hanigan when he came on. Interesting just how the 6s line up for the Tahs in future games. Excellent depth in FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner), Hanigan and Swinton.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yep, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner) was immense. I also liked Gordon's nous to check when HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was due to come back on before kicking for touch, knowing FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner) would come back on too.

Gee Gordon can sniff an interception a mile off when he's on his game
It will be nice to watch Hanagin and Lee-Warner sharing 80 minutes, both work hard and provide that 3rd lineout option

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting comment on FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner) Reg. I think he had an excellent game yesterday, as did Hanigan when he came on. Interesting just how the 6s line up for the Tahs in future games. Excellent depth in FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner), Hanigan and Swinton.

Swinton hasn't played great since returnig from nerve damage

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I did like to see a proper backs move for Wilson's try runners inside and outside channels running effective lines created defensive hesitation

Also, it is great to see a real 12 who can pass & kick, Walton has had a shit run with injuries and now we get to see what he can do

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Swinton hasn't played great since returnig from nerve damage
With FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) and Hanigan there I’m not fussed on Swinton at all. He’s still a liability with behaviour as well. Added form of Sinclair lets Holloway be another option if needed at 6 and get Miles into start before Swinton.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I did like to see a proper backs move for Wilson's try runners inside and outside channels running effective lines created defensive hesitation

Also, it is great to see a real 12 who can pass & kick, Walton has had a shit run with injuries and now we get to see what he can do
He’s a proper 12. Not a 15 or 10. He’s a genuine centre. We’re better off around Aus with genuine centres and not manufactured big wingers. Blokes like Flook at the Reds are the same

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Did Joe Schmidt have a coffee with the Waratahs coaching team this week?

Waratahs just needed to believe. Once a few things started to go their way, the body language and energy improved. The belief was palpable but it comes off the back of young men like Walton and Jorgensen who are winners.

It’s a lesson for all Australian teams and players. Stop dropping your heads when something goes wrong and switch your heads to the next play. Win the next play.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Holloway, Hangian and Lee-Warner are all realistic 6 options for the Wallabies. All three had excellent games.

Holloway's lineout work is his biggest attribute.

Lee-Warner had a great workrate and was impactful through the first half.

I thought Hanigan's performance off the bench was one of the better half hour contributions you're likely to see at Super Rugby level. Lots of involvements and so many of them were highly impactful. Very impressive.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Did Joe Schmidt have a coffee with the Waratahs coaching team this week?

Waratahs just needed to believe. Once a few things started to go their way, the body language and energy improved. The belief was palpable but it comes off the back of young men like Walton and Jorgensen who are winners.

It’s a lesson for all Australian teams and players. Stop dropping your heads when something goes wrong and switch your heads to the next play. Win the next play.
I'd like to see more of our teams move from putting in confidence performances though. Too many seasons filled with an excellent game here or there backed up by a less stellar performance the week after. The boys will need to park this one and set their sights on the Highlanders. But there is no doubt that psychology is a big part of sport.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Forwards really did lay a great platform. Particularly in defence where they harassed the hell out of the Crusaders.

But I did enjoy watching the performance of the rather unheralded centre pairing. I thought Walton and Wilson played terrific alround games. It is great to see an increasing number of well rounded centres in the Aussie game across the franchises who can kick, pass, run & tackle as needed/suits the situation.

A couple of classy touches from Jorgenson too.