• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby RD 8: Rebels v Force

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well excitement for last 7 minutes but yet again another dire game by these two sides.

In summary:

Rebels backs always look threatening with ball in hand but lacked control

Force scrum dominated rebels

Force lineout mess with poor lineout throwing

Force backs rarely look threatening in attack and to me Godwin and TK not great playmaker centres whilst McGregor I don’t think super rugby standard

Well done to force for win as keeps it open but even if force or rebels make finals can’t see either threatening reds or brumbies

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I enjoyed the game, nothing wrong with a defence (or 2) being better than the opponents attack.

Seemed to have plenty of running and passing but the defence was just too good.

There was plenty of running and passing by both sides lb, but very little drawing the defence and passing to players in space. I don't think it was a particularly good defensive game by either team, and surely was horror attack.

Neither side got much above club level I'm afraid.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
When you come back into top tier rugby it pays to have a squad that presents the best opportunity to build for the future and win now. It's been a struggle but we are still in it. Stop being such an entitled knob.

Totally agree.
How easy it is to forget that the WF lost 7 out of 8 local players who had been developed from local Perth Club rugby when the WF was axed <4 years ago.
RA also instructed the WF NOT to recruit from other Super Rugby teams in both 2020 and 2021.
Where else were the WF expected to go but OS?
The best of the local lads are already in the squad.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rebels made far too many mistakes to be considered a good Super Rugby team. Poor lineouts and To'omua's long passing over the sideline gave away possession that was desperately needed to make up for their inability in attack. The replacement 1/2 botched both passes back to Hodge in the pocket after full time.

I'm biased in favour of Hodge so this may be a coloured view - Anstee had plenty of room and time to avoid cannoning into Hodge's knee after the final attempt at field goal.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
When have the Rebels ever, and i mean ever, performaned as a team to the ability of their composite parts?

And that from a supporter of a team that often ran on with >12 Wallabies, and always promised so much but delivered so little.
Despite having a player remuneration package that was often >$2 million more than any of the other Aussie franchises.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I really liked Godwin's game. He played very well and helped us get more width. Considering it was the first back from injury, I was impressed. Thought Tom Robbo had a solid game too.
Godwin to me with Tk not a good combo as neither great playmaker centre’s that will exploit space or make something happen and hence force backs rarely look like scoring

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would just like to see anstee play 80 mins as definitively continues to make impact from bench

I reckon you'll see it when he bulks up a bit more.
I don't think his shoulder will currently last 80 minutes.
I like the way that he's beeing blooded into the XV game.
Especially as he provides good Lock and BRow coverage.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
And that from a supporter of a team that often ran on with >12 Wallabies, and always promised so much but delivered so little.
Despite having a player remuneration package that was often >$2 million more than any of the other Aussie franchises.
Yes bunch of talented individuals rather then a talented cohesive team. Continues to make me wonder whether wessels right person for the rebels

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Godwin to me with Tk not a good combo as neither great playmaker centre’s that will exploit space or make something happen and hence force backs rarely look like scoring

Still a work in progress. The Force team now compared to the team in 2 years will be very different. It's a shame Rugby Australia's decision to axe the Force has resulted in many of our promising local players departing for other opportunities. The team now is as good a mix of loyal Force players, local and international players. Force fans are in it for the long hall, lets build it the right way and become the best in Australian rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Totally agree.
How easy it is to forget that the WF lost 7 out of 8 local players who had been developed from local Perth Club rugby when the WF was axed <4 years ago.
RA also instructed the WF NOT to recruit from other Super Rugby teams in both 2020 and 2021.
Where else were the WF expected to go but OS?
The best of the local lads are already in the squad.

Got to think back to reds and where they were a few years ago to where now as takes time. I think recruitment wise force did well as improved the squad from last year with good mix of os, oz and senior players. As long as keep improving the squad and have a core of young players developing heading in right direction.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Yes.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rebels made far too many mistakes to be considered a good Super Rugby team. Poor lineouts and To'omua's long passing over the sideline gave away possession that was desperately needed to make up for their inability in attack. The replacement 1/2 botched both passes back to Hodge in the pocket after full time.

I'm biased in favour of Hodge so this may be a coloured view - Anstee had plenty of room and time to avoid cannoning into Hodge's knee after the final attempt at field goal.
Bloody oath he had heaps of time to pull out. It was so late I was at the game I was already up the aisle and had to check what had happened on my phone. Shows the lack of pride and passion that nobody stood up for him.