• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1: Reds v Rebels

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
You’d have to assume they’ll go in a bit underprepared - but then I’ve been reaching a lot of bad reports about an extensive injury list for the Rebels. Squad depth might get an early test.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
It makes sense that Tate McDermot comes on for the second half, as he has not played in a trial game & will not have match fitness

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Post-covid fitness is going to be an interesting one to watch all season, for all teams. Everyone that I know who's got it so far has had ongoing fatigue/reduced level of fitness for anywhere from a couple of weeks to still now a couple of months later.

Reds by 5

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I tend to agree Reg.

But maybe there is some logic that if Thomas or Jeans can get through the first 50 - 55 they can give him 25 - 30 at the end against tired opposition. Especially if the Rebs are depleted and the bench is a bit weak.

Personally I’d rather he start but it’s nice that, on first viewing, Jeans seems to be a genuine contender for the back up half role.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Teams:

REDS (1-15): Dane Zander, Alex Mafi, Taniela Tupou, Angus Blyth, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Angus Scott-Young, Liam Wright (c), Harry Wilson, Tate McDermott (c), James O'Connor, Filipo Daugunu, Hamish Stewart, Josh Flook, Jordan Petaia, Jock Campbell

RESERVES: Josh Nasser, Harry Hoopert, Zane Nonggorr, Ryan Smith, Fraser McReight, Spencer Jeans, Hunter Paisami, Lawson Creighton

REBELS (1-15): Cameron Orr, Jordan Uelese, Cabous Eboff, Matt Philip, Ross Haylett-Petty, Sam Wallis, Brad Wilkin, Michael Wells, Joe Powell, Carter Gordon, Glen Vaihu, Matt To’omua, Stacey Ili, Lachie Anderson, Reece Hodge

RESERVES: Matt Gibbon, James Hanson, Sef Fa’agase, Thomas Nowlan, Tamati Ioane, James Tuttle, Raymond Nu’u, Young Tonumaipea

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Creighton and Jeans set to debut off the bench.

1. Dane Zander – Norths
  2. Alex Mafi – Bond University
  3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
  4. Angus Blyth – Bond University
  5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto – Souths
  6. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
  7. Liam Wright (c) – Easts
  8. Harry Wilson – Brothers
  9. Tate McDermott (c) – University of Queensland
  10. James O’Connor – Brothers
  11. Filipo Daugunu – Wests
  12. Hamish Stewart – Brothers
  13. Josh Flook – Brothers
  14. Jordan Petaia – Wests
  15. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland

1. Josh Nasser – University of Queensland
  2. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
  3. Zane Nonggorr – Bond University
  4. Ryan Smith – Brothers
  5. Fraser McReight – Brothers
  6. Spencer Jeans* – Bond University
  7. Hunter Paisami – Wests
  8. Lawson Creighton* – Brothers

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
REBELS (1-15):
Cameron Orr,
Jordan Uelese,
Cabous Eboff,
Matt Philip,
Ross Haylett-Petty,
Sam Wallis,
Brad Wilkin,
Michael Wells,
Joe Powell,
Carter Gordon,
Glen Vaihu,
Matt To’omua,
Stacey Ili,
Lachie Anderson,
Reece Hodge

RESERVES:
Matt Gibbon,
James Hanson,
Sef Fa’agase,
Thomas Nowlan,
Tamati Ioane,
James Tuttle,
Raymond Nu’u,
Young Tonumaipea

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Lots of Rebels names out - no Fa'amausili, Leota, Hosea, Hardwick or Kellaway. Even coming in a bit off the pace the Reds really should put this side away.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Surprised by a few names in that Rebels lineup, seeing Fa'agase on the bench and Wallis starting. I had to google who Raymond Nu'u was.

It's a pretty lightweight/ball fetching back row with Wilkin, Wells & Wallis.. Which will be interesting seeing the Reds left off McReight.

Both teams below their best, but still enough firepower to put on points and big hits.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Apart from Kellaway (which is a big apart) thats about the best backline on paper, possibly Vudogo on the bench, Leota, Hosea and Fa'amausili are big losses.
edit: actually a better team than i expected having watched training on Tues am

Last edited: