• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 4 Reds v Drua, Suncorp Satdium 12/3 @ 6:45pm AEST

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
even better, this is how they named their team for Pacifika Round

Queensland Reds v Fijian Drua, Suncorp Stadium at 6:45pm AEST:
  1. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
  2. Josh Nasser – University of Queensland
  3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers – Tonga
  4. Ryan Smith – Brothers
  5. Angus Blyth – Bond University
  6. Seru Uru – Wests – Fiji
  7. Fraser McReight (c) – Brothers
  8. Harry Wilson – Brothers
  9. Kalani Thomas – University of Queensland – Maori
  10. James O’Connor – Brothers
  11. Josh Flook – Brothers
  12. Hamish Stewart – Brothers
  13. Hunter Paisami – Wests – Samoa
  14. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland
  15. Jordan Petaia – Wests – Samoa
  16. Matt Faessler – Brothers
  17. Feao Fotuaika – Sunnybank – Tonga
  18. Zane Nonggorr – Bond University – Papua New Guinea
  19. Connor Vest* - University of Queensland
  20. Tuaina Taii Tualima – GPS – Samoa
  21. Spencer Jeans – Bond University
  22. Lawson Creighton – Brothers
  23. Mac Grealy – University of Queensland

In honour of Queensland Rugby Union’s Pasifika Round, eight players will proudly wear the flag of their pacific background on their jersey which will be signed and auctioned off after the match to raise further funds for UNICEF Australia’s Tongan Recovery Appeal in response to the explosion of the Hunga Tonga Hunga Ha'apai underwater volcano and subsequent tsunami earlier this year.
I think the jersey auction is a great initiative and cause. They could expand it by including the non-playing squad members as well - without numbers. Any idea how the auction will be conducted? I couldn't see anything on the Reds website.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I just realised Daugunu wasn’t selected again.

Is he injured too?
I think he's just been crap honestly.

It'll be telling if he is down training with the Doggies next week, although unsure if Reds players are in a bubble?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

It'll be telling if he is down training with the Doggies next week, although unsure if Reds players are in a bubble?
Surely you’re not suggesting he’s slipped behind Creighton and Grealy in the pecking order.

I really can’t see why he is getting so many knockers. His stats in the first game vs the Rebels were the best of any winger in the comp. He was quiet in the second game, but we had almost no ball and certainly didn’t play in any way expansively. I’m a bit lost why he is attracting so much stick.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Surely you’re not suggesting he’s slipped behind Creighton and Grealy in the pecking order.

I really can’t see why he is getting so many knockers. His stats in the first game vs the Rebels were the best of any winger in the comp. He was quiet in the second game, but we had almost no ball and certainly didn’t play in any way expansively. I’m a bit lost why he is attracting so much stick.
Not necessarily better as a winger - but he offers no versatility on the bench.

Creighton covers 10/15

Grealy 11/14/15

At his best, Daugunnu is a game breaker, but he hasn’t played like that consistently since 2020 imho.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
it's not like Campbell has been dropped, he is still in the starting team

Jock has been shunted out of his best place for contributing to the Reds, to a slot where his specific strength are backed off. This after probably the greatest performance at 15 over three rounds across Australia.

For an erratic Petaia with no clear claim on the 15 role at the Reds.

Adam, I get that you support Petaia - but is very definitely an enigma.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Doubt he's that crap. Petaia has been gifted 15. Jock's performance has bee too good to ignore. Daugunu needed to pick up his performace.

It's an odd scenario and for me, not our best starting 15. Daugunu needs to do better, but he's a better winger than Jock. Jock is I think easily the form 15 in Australia. And possibly an adequate winger.

Go figure.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Jock has been shunted out of his best place for contributing to the Reds, to a slot where his specific strength are backed off. This after probably the greatest performance at 15 over three rounds across Australia.

For an erratic Petaia with no clear claim on the 15 role at the Reds.

Adam, I get that you support Petaia - but is very definitely an enigma.

All I said was Campbell is still in the starting team.

People are carrying on like he has been dropped. We won the Super Rugby GF with Jock on the wing last year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dru what are your thoughts on the Petaia at 15 Jock on the wing selection? Your three posts in a row and numerous others previous leave me unsure.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
All I said was Campbell is still in the starting team.

People are carrying on like he has been dropped. We won the Super Rugby GF with Jock on the wing last year.

No people are not carrying on like Jock has been dropped from the starting 15. What they are doing, is carrying on, like the form 15 in Australia has been removed from the role for a golden haired boy.

Adam, we often have different POV on these things but rarely have differences in the opinions on the fundamentals. Can't you see what I am saying here?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Dru what are your thoughts on the Petaia at 15 Jock on the wing selection? Your three posts in a row and numerous others previous leave me unsure.

Reg, at some point you are going to have to explain your thoughts on this forum. Is it a forum for Reg endorsed views or is it a rugby forum? A lot of your input is utter quality, and then you drop back into Reds official mode. It has me confused.

I love Petaia and think he'd make a great FB. Right now though, we have the greatest FB in Australia. Period. The conversation can and should stop there.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
No people are not carrying on like Jock has been dropped from the starting 15. What they are doing, is carrying on, like the form 15 in Australia has been removed from the role for a golden haired boy.

Adam, we often have different POV on these things but rarely have differences in the opinions on the fundamentals. Can't you see what I am saying here?

With comments like this “golden haired boy” and other ones made yesterday, I feel like you’ve taken an exception with the player over a decision made by coaches and requested by the Wallaby coaching staff.

i honestly don’t get the criticism towards Petaia over this issue nor do I think Campbell playing wing is the kick in the guts it’s been made out to be

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yep the conversation should be around why would you move your best performer in a particular position for someone who many hope will be a superstar?

Jock’s not likely to get a wing spot for the Wallabies, so moving him to the wing for the Reds is somewhat of a demotion if not technically being dropped.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
With comments like this “golden haired boy” and other ones made yesterday, I feel like you’ve taken an exception with the player over a decision made by coaches and requested by the Wallaby coaching staff.

i honestly don’t get the criticism towards Petaia over this issue nor do I think Campbell playing wing is the kick in the guts it’s been made out to be

OK, I think Jock deserves more support. I don't think it is "a kick in the guts" but I do think he is being accommodated (only), due to superior performance across the Australian franchises, into a role that is less likely to allow him to shine. For a less proven player who is supported by the WB coach. Who I doubt has this request as current on the back of recent Jock performances. The WB coaching staff input in this is frustrating. It's completely opaque, which btw means you are guessing (albeit my guess is the same).

Let's see how it pans out.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg, at some point you are going to have to explain your thoughts on this forum. Is it a forum for Reg endorsed views or is it a rugby forum? A lot of your input is utter quality, and then you drop back into Reds official mode. It has me confused.

I love Petaia and think he'd make a great FB. Right now though, we have the greatest FB in Australia. Period. The conversation can and should stop there.

Have your views absolutely. But you’ve made the same point numerous times already including in three consecutive posts.

We get it. You think Petaia isn’t living up to the ‘hype’ and that moving the stand out Australian fullback to wing for this game is unfair and bewildering.

Let’s move on now.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
I like that there is a skull next to Mcreights name instead of (c) - A note on the captains curse I imagine.
Yes, it's getting a bit silly really. Reminds me of a few years back when the appointment of a new No.10 would be quickly followed by appointments with an orthopod and / or physio.