• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 9, 2018 - Waratahs vs Reds - Saturday 14 April @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I miss the old days we would be pages deep into the Foley v Quade debate by now!
Waratahs’ playmaking is really a combined Foley/Beale package. Foley is so much better when Beale is there to give him the freedom to take on the line and loiter in the wide channels.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Had issues with internet so missed quite a bit of this game, but the parts I saw it looked like a bad team beat a terrible team. Did I miss much - worth watching the parts I missed again?

Hooper and Naiyarovovo along with Kepu and Rona and some decent pack performances got the Waratahs there. Foley (conversions aside) and Beale looked error ridden and took plenty of wrong options which cost them points.

For the Reds, I liked Daugunu and Timu had some nice touches. Not much sure what else to say. Either they learn to score or it's going to be a long year. NFI how the Reds are putting together their starting team or even a coherent game plan on attack.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
A lot of aimless kicking from NSW which was strange because they looked good when they ran it. Reds pack didn't dominate like a lot of people thought they would, and backs lacked penetration. A bonus point win after s Rebels defeat is a positive. NSW are over achieving but might get a reality check when they face the Canes and Landers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Reds couldn't get any ascendancy in the forwards or at set piece which was meant to be their area of advantage. Waratahs did well in these areas and the scrum looks light years ahead of the start of the year.

For the quality of the Reds locks I thought Hangian was close to the best lock on the field. Wells had an outstanding hour for the Tahs at 8. Setting up the Tahs first try his most notable involvement.

The Beale and Rona combination is creating a huge amount of opportunities for the fullback and wingers. Better patience could have resulted in a whole bunch more points.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Reds couldn't get any ascendancy in the forwards or at set piece which was meant to be their area of advantage. Waratahs did well in these areas and the scrum looks light years ahead of the start of the year.

For the quality of the Reds locks I thought Hangian was close to the best lock on the field. Wells had an outstanding hour for the Tahs at 8. Setting up the Tahs first try his most notable involvement.

The Beale and Rona combination is creating a huge amount of opportunities for the fullback and wingers. Better patience could have resulted in a whole bunch more points.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

i think we left about 3 tries out there, mostly because of impatience or handling errors. hopefully we can get it to all click together against a kiwi team :)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Bonus point win vs the Reds is always pleasant

I thought our light weight powder puff forward pack was excellent, the lineout continues to do rather well and scrum holds it's own.

The backs are really trying too hard to keep the ball moving. Some of the hurls behind them in play will actually be punished in other games.

Rona is looking pretty good at 13, a guy who tackles, runs good lines and can pass is always helpful

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Ergh, can't say it'd be a wise decision to move to the SCG during SFS reincarnation/rebuild/patch & paint/builders bog job. The players look like ants & is far too big for the crowd size.

It felt even more soulless than ANZ. More games there would not be doing the Waratahs fan base any favours.
I don't think I'd be rushing back there for more games, even though the facilities are nice and schmick

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I wonder whether it would be possible to have temporary seating? Obviously that could only be practical if all codes that use the ground were prepared to cooperate, with NRL and the rah rahs playing on successive nights. Or even one game in the arvo, the next one that same evening.

Probably a pipe dream.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ergh, can't say it'd be a wise decision to move to the SCG during SFS reincarnation/rebuild/patch & paint/builders bog job. The players look like ants & is far too big for the crowd size.

It felt even more soulless than ANZ. More games there would not be doing the Waratahs fan base any favours.
I don't think I'd be rushing back there for more games, even though the facilities are nice and schmick
North Sydney Oval! i know it takes 50 minutes to get a beer but the atmosphere would be fantastic!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Bonus point win vs the Reds is always pleasant

I thought our light weight powder puff forward pack was excellent, the lineout continues to do rather well and scrum holds it's own.

The backs are really trying too hard to keep the ball moving. Some of the hurls behind them in play will actually be punished in other games.

Rona is looking pretty good at 13, a guy who tackles, runs good lines and can pass is always helpful

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Agree with Rona’s performance at 13. The looming presence of Taqele often creates holes for Rona on the inside who exploits them well.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
I wonder whether it would be possible to have temporary seating? Obviously that could only be practical if all codes that use the ground were prepared to cooperate, with NRL and the rah rahs playing on successive nights. Or even one game in the arvo, the next one that same evening.

Probably a pipe dream.

I mentioned that as an idea to my brother & mate...doubt it would happen, but a valid idea

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Good win by the tahs. Reds far too one dimensional.

But I see lots of comments about scrum parity? Tahs were smart enough to get the ball out quick on their feed when they were under the pump and going backwards, reds feed tahs held them better than expected but I wouldn’t call it parity.

Status
Not open for further replies.