• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 9, 2018 - Waratahs vs Reds - Saturday 14 April @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Actually the majority of members are SCG only, so I think there should be a decent turnout of members. A rare chance for them to watch some rugby
I know gold and platinum members get access to both but yeah I probably overestimated the number of gold and platinum members.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Having lost every bet I made last weekend I paused for a millisecond before getting on the reds at $4. Seriously it’s like free money.
This is not financial advice. I am not a financial advisor. I am probably the last person you should listen to on this topic.

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Having lost every bet I made last weekend I paused for a millisecond before getting on the reds at $4. Seriously it’s like free money.
This is not financial advice. I am not a financial advisor. I am probably the last person you should listen to on this topic.
for your bookie ;)

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

I think compared to the actual odds of the Reds winning $4 is pretty good. I'm not saying I think the Reds will win but 4 bucks is 4 bucks.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don't remember but did we see any of Tui last week, anyone expecting him to start over Douglas or play from the bench again?
He came on and played 6 when Higgers left the field, the finished at lock.

Personally I expect Douglas to start again.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
This will be a total stink fest. Reds should monster the Tah's up front and rightfully put the Tahs to the Sword. Problem is the Reds are so shit in attack they will waste every opportunity they make. Tahs are good in attack but I think they won't be playing off much front foot ball and I would expect the Reds to be tight in defence. It will be a fucking mess.

Thorn may be able to rekindle that beat the shit out of NSW sentiment which could be fun.

Simmons I also tip will be a total pest at lineout time. I tip that he will steal a lot of ball off the Reds throw.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Simmons I also tip will be a total pest at lineout time. I tip that he will steal a lot of ball off the Reds throw.

Not much looking forward to the rest (though i could be surprised) - but the line out competition should be worth the cost of admission on it's own. Probably similar with the locks around the rucks. Should be beaut.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Not much looking forward to the rest (though i could be surprised) - but the line out competition should be worth the cost of admission on it's own. Probably similar with the locks around the rucks. Should be beaut.

Except the Waratahs don't really have anyone outside of Simmons or maybe Hanigan who can really contest the lineouts. The Reds have Douglas, and Rodda, Korczyk, ASY (Angus Scott-Young)/Wright... and then because they really need another jumper Timu is also a reasonable jumper -- I don't know that you'd ever purposely throw the ball to Timu with this pack. Oh and that's missing Higginbotham.

I agree with Ruggo -- this game is going to die a slow long agonizing death. Rugby just the way I like it!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Except the Waratahs don't really have anyone outside of Simmons or maybe Hanigan who can really contest the lineouts. The Reds have Douglas, and Rodda, Korczyk, ASY (Angus Scott-Young)/Wright. and then because they really need another jumper Timu is also a reasonable jumper -- I don't know that you'd ever purposely throw the ball to Timu with this pack. Oh and that's missing Higginbotham.

I agree with Ruggo -- this game is going to die a slow long agonizing death. Rugby just the way I like it!

Wells and Holloway both jump.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Reds and Tahs have the 4th and 5th most successful lineouts in the comp with 90.7% and 90.5% win rate respectively so it should be a good contest at lineout time.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
This will be a total stink fest. Reds should monster the Tah's up front and rightfully put the Tahs to the Sword. Problem is the Reds are so shit in attack they will waste every opportunity they make. Tahs are good in attack but I think they won't be playing off much front foot ball and I would expect the Reds to be tight in defence. It will be a fucking mess.

Thorn may be able to rekindle that beat the shit out of NSW sentiment which could be fun.

The form lines all point to a Tahs' win.

Tahs thrashed the Rebels; Rebels beat the Reds.

Tahs beat the Brumbies; Brumbies easy over the Reds. Tahs at least had set piece equality with the Brumbies, but the Brumbies finished on top of the Reds scrum.

One area I think the Reds will be on par is in the lineout. Rodda has been exceptional and imo will match Simmons most of the night.

On top of all that, we know the Tahs will score plenty of tries, but there is a lot of doubt over the Reds' capability in the try scoring arena.

Tahs to get up by around 20 points.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The form lines all point to a Tahs' win.

Tahs thrashed the Rebels; Rebels beat the Reds.

Tahs beat the Brumbies; Brumbies easy over the Reds. Tahs at least had set piece equality with the Brumbies, but the Brumbies finished on top of the Reds scrum.

One area I think the Reds will be on par is in the lineout. Rodda has been exceptional and imo will match Simmons most of the night.

On top of all that, we know the Tahs will score plenty of tries, but there is a lot of doubt over the Reds' capability in the try scoring arena.

Tahs to get up by around 20 points.

I think you're trying to put the mockers on us, as every Brumby fan has tried from Super inception.

Geez, I hope you're right but the confidence level of Tahs fans I suspect is considerably lower. The Tahs don't do intense forward trench work at all well and this is what I expect from the Reds in spades! If the Waratahs show they can get on top of the Reds in the tight I will start to believe we have a slight chance against the Kiwis.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Only change for the Tahs is Phipps joining the bench in place of Mitch Short.

1. Tom Robertson
2. Damien Fitzpatrick
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Ned Hanigan
5. Rob Simmons
6. Will Miller
7. Michael Hooper
8. Michael Wells
9. Jake Gordon
10. Bernard Foley
11. Taqele Naiyaravoro
12. Kurtley Beale
13. Curtis Rona
14. Alex Newsome
15. Bryce Hegarty
Reserves
16. Hugh Roach
17. Harry Johnson-Holmes
18. Paddy Ryan
19. Tom Staniforth
20. Jed Holloway
21. Nick Phipps
22. Lalakai Foketi
23. Cameron Clark

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Only change for the Tahs is Phipps joining the bench in place of Mitch Short.

I thought Hegarty might have got pulled just after half time last week because he wasn't doing a very good job of covering the Sunwolves grubbers in behind. Looks like Gibson was just sharing around game time between players.

Status
Not open for further replies.