• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Surf Spots

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I've just started to get into my bodyboarding again and loving it. Luckily I have some of the best breaks in the world only 50minutes down the M1. My current favourite spots are probably Duranbah and Burleigh Heads.

Anyone else here a keen surfer or bodyboarder? Or are we all just rugby meatheads :p

N

nicobinho

A good place to surf is panama/Costa Rica.. I Went to costa rica a few years ago and the surf on the pacific side was incredible.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I liked Kirra back in the day, it's a bit of a desert these days though from pumping huge amounts of sand onto the beach.

Noosa ftw! Not so great for body boarding though, better with a longer board

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
Surfing is my one great love. I've been living in Germany and the UK for the last 3 years though, so I'm constantly pining for waves. I have, however, come across a few decent surf spots in Europe when I get time off. In one word: Portugal. You get solid Atlantic swell and when I was there it seemed as though it was always blowing offshore, all day long. Found a great little spot down in the Algarve. The coast is similar to parts of the NSW coast. The beaches aren't quite as white and sandy, but they have eucalypts everywhere so it feels a lot like home. It's a great spot for a holiday, even if you don't surf, as the food is great and the lifestyle very laid back. Much quieter than Italy and Spain too.

The European surf scene is quite something though. Each morning you go down to the car park to check the surf and you are surrounded by 30-40 year old German blokes who dress like 12 year old surf rats back home. I was the only bloke there not decked out head to toe in Billabong gear (including massive sunnies, skate shoes and mandatory cap, pushed up and slightly sideways, Corey Delaney style). None of them can surf really well, but they love to look the part.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Get away from Goldie Tiger. Try some of the lesser known beaches north - Straddie etc or come south and have an explore through the National Parks Byron, Lennox, Yamba, then south of Coffs Harbour and then again south of Port Macquarie. I tend to stay away from the heavily populated areas these days.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Get away from Goldie Tiger. Try some of the lesser known beaches north - Straddie etc or come south and have an explore through the National Parks Byron, Lennox, Yamba, then south of Coffs Harbour and then again south of Port Macquarie. I tend to stay away from the heavily populated areas these days.
When I get the chance I do travel to Byron, Lennox and Yamba (which is the most beautiful place on the Easts coast). But just easier to head down to D'Bah or Burleigh and have a good two hour surf before work/Uni.

But yeh any of the beaches south of Kingscliff are amazing, been going there on family holidays since I was born, not very populated (except Byron) and just nice beaches with alot of headlands.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Can't agree enough with this. A few of my faves in this neighbourhood: Back beach and Spot X at Minnie Water, Emerald Beach (main and back beaches) and Arrawarra, and also Mullawarra is a great place to take the kids.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I have a boogie board I get out on occasions :) More of a bodysurfer though. Love the feel of using what God gave me as a missile thru the water & just pray there arent any sharks.

I'm pretty blessed surf wise that I live in Newcastle. Take your pick there is plenty of good beaches here.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Took advantage of the cyclone swell last weekend for my second surf in a year (dislocated both shoulders multiple times over the past couple of years so it has been a long rad back) and got dumped because of a bad case of the wobbles. Bad place to get dumped I thought I was still 18 and took off next to the rock ledge and promptly got smashed back onto it. Bruises and scrapes only on me board not so lucky. :(

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can't agree enough with this. A few of my faves in this neighbourhood: Back beach and Spot X at Minnie Water, Emerald Beach (main and back beaches) and Arrawarra, and also Mullawarra is a great place to take the kids.
That's my old neck of the woods. Great place place for surfing and spearfishing.

H

HarveyColon

Bower, Winki, Avalon, North Narra-(northern beaches)

Surf at bower was epic today

Status
Not open for further replies.