• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

charcoal

Frank Row (1)
Another strong performance from Syd Uni 1st to take out the Rats. Though the Rats had them on the back foot until midway 2nd half. Syd Uni Full back was quite impressive in attack as well as there hooker. Hooker made a few strong runs, possibly a try as well. Anyone know any details on the hooker, reminds me of a polota nau type of player.
Perhaps, but considering the talent at their disposal, with 20 players or more who have represented at NSW Schools or higher, the Rats with only 2,performed creditibly to hold the lead for so long. With their enormous advantages of talent, resources, coaching & $$, their results are hardly deserving of credit.

JT0406

Allen Oxlade (6)
Perhaps, but considering the talent at their disposal, with 20 players or more who have represented at NSW Schools or higher, the Rats with only 2,performed creditibly to hold the lead for so long. With their enormous advantages of talent, resources, coaching & $$, their results are hardly deserving of credit.

Again, Rats played very well for majority of the game however Uni showed why there curretly leading the table... hard fought win to Uni, credit is due.

stem

Stan Wickham (3)
Who cares whether they do? From what ive seen those 20 selections don't equate to better footballers at Colts.

Astute observation and could not agree more. What often transpires is memories, egos attitudes and expectations interfere with smooth transitions into a more demanding world....
The likely scenario/history is ,... in School many years are available to develop the teamwork amongst your mates , they are coached by teachers ( they like to teach, I believe), the season is short and intense......the passion, respect and support of the whole school (spectators )is enormous.... the enjoyment, hype, buzz and committment to the game drives itself.
Arrive at Club....they know and expect your reputation to achieve results... they do not expect to teach you , 15 individuals wish to progress, compete and to shine as individuals, you are no longer playing with mates , the pre-season is longer than any school season, let alone the competition, the spectator crowds are small and silent...Welcome to the real world of Sydney Rugby.
A lot of these talents will burn out....does not mean they were never a talent just did not survive the transition.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
It's certainly a tough transition and the players need to find a club which fosters a team or community approach. The length of the season is so much more daunting when self-motivation is important. 40 minute halves (or 35 in twos) doesn't make it any easier.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Welcome to the real world i reckon. There are a lot of kids who come out of GPS schools or academy programs who expect to be walking hand in hand through footy just like they do at school or with their academy/NTS program.

The real cream rises to the top when they have the extra pressures of work, independance and all the other factors that go with life and can still make it even if it isn't at an elite level. I think you will generally find that the second grader who's had to work for what he wants ends up being the better player even if he isn't as talented.

W

Wrinkled Rat

Another strong performance from Syd Uni 1st to take out the Rats. Though the Rats had them on the back foot until midway 2nd half. Syd Uni Full back was quite impressive in attack as well as there hooker. Hooker made a few strong runs, possibly a try as well. Anyone know any details on the hooker, reminds me of a polota nau type of player.

Agreed JT. The boys were well in it. Also noted the friendships from schoolboy days that continued between the two teams after the hooter, plenty of mutual respect. Shared taxis home I heard from a few watering holes either side of the Spit.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Interesting to read some of you guys philosophising about what is really important in the colts competition , & how recruiting "star " schoolboys does not guarantee success for Uni.
Can I suggest that you look at the results of the colts competitions in all grades in recent years.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
And the point is that a lot of that success is built on footballers who were not the 'star' schoolboy recruits. Eg last year where 3 players in ones were from lowly Grammar (admittedly Fryer made Oz A in 2008). My beef is not against Uni but the perception that schoolboy 'stars' (ie the great CV with Oz schoolboys or NSW schoolboys) are automatically great footballers at Colts or Grade as against those who were not given the opportunity. The good thing about Uni is to be observant enough to see the ability of the non-stars and allow them to rise to the top. Hence my comment about those three Grammar guys. I can't stand it when a guy just out of school but with the good CV is given an easy road straight into Colts 1s.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Whatever spin you want to put on it ,Uni get a disproportionate number of schoolboy rep players.Is it a coincidence then that they win a disproportionate number of competitions ?
It doesn't follow that all their players are automatically "stars" , but they have been through a filtering process at school indicating that they are probably amongst the better players for their age ,which surely must count for something .
As far as the 3 Grammar guys go , perhaps if they had attended one of the traditionally strong Rugby schools , they might have been considered "stars" then themselves.The same thing applies to a lot of young players who
become prominent when they join a district club. We can all think of exceptions of course.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
No spin but admitted bias towards ex-Grammar boys. I have long been annoyed that the few talented boys at Grammar end up languishing at best in GPS 3s because selectors disregard them but when they get to Colts their ability shines through. As I said Uni seems to recognize this but they initially have to get in the queue behind the 'stars'. Hence my comment a few posts back about how irrelevant the number of 'stars' in the Uni team is.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Those rugby tragics looking for something to do today, get down to Chatswood Oval: Gordon Colts host West Harbour in a catch-up round for all three teams. The Pirates head the Gay Gordons on each table, can the Highlanders cause any upsets?

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Was down at the Easts / Norths colts on Saturday - Easts took all three grades, although, interestingly, in each grade they ran out to big leads then Norths fought back to within a few points in each - but more interesting was the referee for first colts - Steve Walsh. As tough as first colts is, I wouldn't have thought it ws the way a world cup ref's would prepare for the big event. Great experience for the players though (although most probably didn't know who he was).

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Those rugby tragics looking for something to do today, get down to Chatswood Oval: Gordon Colts host West Harbour in a catch-up round for all three teams. The Pirates head the Gay Gordons on each table, can the Highlanders cause any upsets?

What were the results? I wouldn't be surprised if Gordon won all three.

staedler

Frank Nicholson (4)
Colts 1 - West Harbour 36 - 12 (or thereabouts)
Colts 2 - Gordon 30-25 (or thereabouts, a serious looking neck injury to a Gordon player halted the action early)
Colts 3- West Harbour 38- 14 (or thereabouts)

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
That ones score is surprising. I thought the Gordon backs were excellent although the forwards were lacking a bit but even so I thought it would be closer.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
That ones score is surprising. I thought the Gordon backs were excellent although the forwards were lacking a bit but even so I thought it would be closer.

From what I hear Gordon played well against Manly on Saturday and were locked 24 all at the bell when Manly missed a kick a goal. Gordon failed to ground the ball and Manly scored after the bell. Tough way to loose a game and hard to back up the next day for another tough one. I understand they have lost a number of games by 7 points or less.

U

Upright

From what I hear Gordon played well against Manly on Saturday and were locked 24 all at the bell when Manly missed a kick a goal. Gordon failed to ground the ball and Manly scored after the bell. Tough way to loose a game and hard to back up the next day for another tough one. I understand they have lost a number of games by 7 points or less.
Wasn't at either game but have heard from Manly people that Gordon were definatley the equal of Manly and that Manly would have been happy to get away with a 24 all draw let alone the win under the unusual circumstances. Apparently the Gordon centres Carmichael and Simkin caused a lot of trouble.The Wests game I understand Gordon led early as their backs ran in two smart tries and that it was 17- 12 deep into the second half before the injuries (both Gordon props out injured from Saturday) weight of possession (Wests had a very big pack when I saw them play Manly) and fatigue took its toll with Wests getting two late tries.
Question the merit of having teams backing up like Gordon were asked too especially when Wests had the bye on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.