• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Upright

Has anyone seen the 2nd grade colts table, Sydney Uni have won every game with a bonus point heading into round 21 that is remarkable.
Waves it is but it's not! When you consider Uni recruit two Colts 1's teams each year, with the second group spending a season playing Colts 2's. Many are given a few games in the 1sts to keep them interested but in the main they will play the seaon in Colts 2s. Uni is the only club that has multiple Aus/NSW schoolboys in Colts 2s -eg Wylie (warringah), goodman (Gordon) and Skelton this year, all of whom would be regular Colts 1s players with their original districts. Most other clubs put together Colts 2's teams consisting of boys coming out of school who were possibly first xv or in many cases second xv players. This would also be the case at Uni if it relied on boys attending the uni to be its pool from which to draw however most of those boys whoare at Sydney Uni choose to play at other clubs so they can get a game while the imported squad win by the margins you refer to. Must say it does a lot for rugby...not!

K

Keithy

You can add miller, wallace, ryan,messara to the list of rep players. But the points system was setup to prevent this happening. Looks like the system has a problem. this would be why uni have won 7 of the last 9 colts 2 comps
By the way the 2009 side scored over1200 points for and 150 against roughly. These blokes are good but.......

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
They won't win the title. Easts or Manly will when their Colts 2 teams are at "full strength".

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
They won't win the title. Easts or Manly will when their Colts 2 teams are at "full strength".

Big call, last game against Easts was 60 to nil in favour of the students. I know Easts had a few guys overseas but hard to see them making that much of a difference, particularly as Uni were also missing key players. We will get a better feel how Manly will go after this weekend.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I agree but that Easts side will not be the same as that which will take the field in the finals. If Manly are at full strength on the weekend then should be a good clash.

W

waves

I agree but that Easts side will not be the same as that which will take the field in the finals. If Manly are at full strength on the weekend then should be a good clash.

It should be more clearer this weekend with Manly, Although I find it hard to believe your thoughts on a full strength Easts side troubling Uni, they have played 2 games this year and there has been a total points difference of +90 For/Against.

35 - 5 @ Easts
60 - 0 @ Uni

Full strength or not any team will find it mentally tough coming into the finals series, not saying its impossible but it looks unlikely. My close bet will be Manly close game earlier in the year 29-15, but I wouldnt rule out the other top teams it seems a lot of 1st colts players somehow manage to find themselves qualified and playing in 2nds colts grandfinals.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Perhaps I was too optimistic but it us always interesting seeing the makeup of colts 2 teams in the finals - remembering that Easts have beaten Uni 1s twice this year.

Now having seen the Easts v West Harbour clash, I can safely say I was way too optimistic. Easts have no chance. And Uni thrashed Manly today so it will be an easy win for Uni in the 2s.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Penrith 3rd grade colts forfeited to Eastwood. Only 10 Penrith players turned up to a home game for them. Sad indictment of state of play in club rugby.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yes. Team went to Penrith - also some spectators. But on the bright side the grade teams were also playing at Penrith so not a totally wasted trip.
Did the Eastwood people go to penrith to find out they were forfeiting? If so, that's pretty bad.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Colts finals series at Forshaw Rugby Park? Is the hosting taken in turn? or why wouldn't the series be held somewhere that could hold a few more people? Mind you I do love their burgers.

J

Jackson

saw the Uni Manly colts game on Saturday. What a cracker! Will definatley be making my way to Forshaw if these two teams make it through to the final.

staedler

Frank Nicholson (4)
Spewn, What was your take on West Harbour 2s, able to surprise in the finals or no? Eastwood are steadily improving at the right time of the year. But in syaing that, Uni v Manly final most likely in both 1s and 2s

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
For a start, Easts were seriously depleted in the backs with the hooker playing 12, but it was in the forwards where West Harbour did the damage. That forward pack will be very hard to contain particularly with the huge front rower (he must be close to 145kg) - it is impossible to win a scrum against Wests when he pushes. I think they will struggle against a team with a decent backline as those big islanders lacked a bit of fitness. They could definitely cause some surprises if the opposition try to play it tight in the forwards. Their backs are ok alrhough they tend to go for the big hit rather than just get the player down. They need to get rid of the fighting too. Eastwood I think is a better team.

P

PTB

Anyone want to post there best XV from this years colts competition on form? should be interesting seeing peoples different views and teams

J

jism

Anyone want to post there best XV from this years colts competition on form? should be interesting seeing peoples different views and teams

my best XV for the 2011 colts competition:

1. Tom Lamont - Uni
2. Tannous Ferris - Woods
3. Jesse Roach - Randwick
4. Harry Byrnes - Manly
5. Will Skelton - Uni
6. Kyle Shewan - Woods
7. Tom Connor - Wicks
8. George Kent/Jordy Reid - woods/manly
9. Nic Stirzaker - Uni
10. Ed Wylie - Uni
11. Phil Tuinuki - Uni