• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
What about Easts? Beat them twice and let Randwick win in a poor semi.
Easts were unlucky however that was the second time Randwick beat them this year - the Wicks game plan seemed to be to out tackle them and thats how they won. The Beasts gave away a lot of penalties when the Wicks were pressing their line. Are the Beasts players all returning next year?

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
Easts were unlucky however that was the second time Randwick beat them this year - the Wicks game plan seemed to be to out tackle them and thats how they won. The Beasts gave away a lot of penalties when the Wicks were pressing their line. Are the Beasts players all returning next year?

I watched every game but one played by Uni this year and in my view the toughest opposition by far were Randwick in the semi. They really gave it to Uni who were close to full strength and Randwick were unlucky on the day. The two losses to Easts were by the odd point or two against Uni sides that were not at full strength. Yesterday Uni played their best team who played to their full potential against a gallant Eastwood who never gave up but were never really were in the game, and it showed in the result.

It will be interesting to see how Uni recruit in the off season as some of the big names are moving on and will leave a number of gaps. Their seconds colts were outstanding and won every game this year and they may choose to blood these younger players rather than conduct a major recruitment drive. They certainly have some talent returning next year.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
When do these clubs start to contact the players to restock their colts sides. I have heard some players they are already in discussions and some have already signed to clubs. I also know several OZ schoolboys that have had no contact whatsoever with any clubs.

G

Grandstand

When do these clubs start to contact the players to restock their colts sides. I have heard some players they are already in discussions and some have already signed to clubs. I also know several OZ schoolboys that have had no contact whatsoever with any clubs.

Going on earlier comments the scouts are already out and about. I know some of the boys and where they might be heading but will leave it them to disclose as it is early days in negotiations and probably too early to commit. If you don't get a call in the coming month then you probably will not be getting one. Pre season training starts in November for some clubs so not much of a break really.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)

Some clubs have development officers who keep in contact with local schools at least. To try and make sure they stay local! I know a few players at the wicks have visited local schools during the year for a few training sessions and will have a dinner/night at the club for a few of the schools to try and 'woo' players to play colts with them next year.
Its not easy to compete with clubs like uni who have a lot to offer school leavers, but if you get a couple of kids, they usually drag a couple of mates along too. For most its not about winning the 1sts colts flag, its about continuing playing footy with mates. Thats where recruiting could focus abit more in my opinion!!

P

PTB

suprised uni didnt have kingston playing with everyone else that was allowed too

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I watched every game but one played by Uni this year and in my view the toughest opposition by far were Randwick in the semi. They really gave it to Uni who were close to full strength and Randwick were unlucky on the day. The two losses to Easts were by the odd point or two against Uni sides that were not at full strength. Yesterday Uni played their best team who played to their full potential against a gallant Eastwood who never gave up but were never really were in the game, and it showed in the result.

It will be interesting to see how Uni recruit in the off season as some of the big names are moving on and will leave a number of gaps. Their seconds colts were outstanding and won every game this year and they may choose to blood these younger players rather than conduct a major recruitment drive. They certainly have some talent returning next year.

And I suppose Uni were also below strength when Manly beat them.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
And I suppose Uni were also below strength when Manly beat them.
Tragically for Uni they were indeed understrength when Manly smashed them on this day. You see English and Matt Mafi were "forced" to play grade so therefore were unavailable. They played 2s and then came off the bench for Ones.
As for the GF they acted in the spirit of the game by playing these guys and Strizaker. Another great example of them playing in the spirit of fairness was when they decided to play a player who up until a couple of weeks ago was playing a completely different code of football. You gotta love these guy's. One last thing here's a question for you all. Who is the only club to lose points for deliberately abusing the points system?

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Uni? Even so - point system is toothless. Perhaps available points should be reduced dramatically to actually have some effects.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah Rob, I have said it before, the points should limit clubs to signings not players on the field.
The idea is to spread the talent, not to ensure one club plays with the maximum amount of players with points in each side each week.

K

Keithy

Lily, like I said last week it was win at all costs. I got the halfbacks wrong, Helliwell was a fresh reserve for 3rd grade then colts. He had played league for most of the season. I know the circumstances surrounding the points loss but they went undefeated in 2009 so it had no affect. Uni have Baden Stephenson on the Points System Stearing Commitee so why would the system change. I agree the points system hasn't changed a thing. I don't understand why Colts 1 isn't 30 points. Every club would need to rely on locals not imports.

U

Upright

Lily, like I said last week it was win at all costs. I got the halfbacks wrong, Helliwell was a fresh reserve for 3rd grade then colts. He had played league for most of the season. I know the circumstances surrounding the points loss but they went undefeated in 2009 so it had no affect. Uni have Baden Stephenson on the Points System Stearing Commitee so why would the system change. I agree the points system hasn't changed a thing. I don't understand why Colts 1 isn't 30 points. Every club would need to rely on locals not imports.
If the points system is too difficult why not simply implement what i have advocated for a number of years - if you aren't a student at Sydney Uni you cant play for them therefore the Lamonts, Talakais,Armours, Sullivans just to name a few would play with their local clubs leaving Uni to be what it should be teams comprised of Syd Uni undergraduates eg Goodman,Melrose etc.

T

Tahboy

With the points system and clubs relying on locals , please correct me if i am wrong but with Uni having no junior club they "bought" Canterbury rugby club as there junior club and have been actively recruiting the cream of the 14 and 15 year olds to join the club under the guise of if you play for canterbury you can then get a scholarship when you play for Uni and they then come under the points system.
If a player wants to go to Uni good luck to him and let him play russian roulette with his rugby career.
from the winning 2010 1st colts Uni team where are , Tom Heslop, Kurt Larsen, Matt Walker, Angus Sinclair, Stephen Coundounaris, Chris Jarvis, Jack Freeman. Clubs who had this talent in there 1st colts would move mountains to have them playing in grade the following year and its the same every year, good players go play elsewhere or give the game away.Why have Guy Millar play 3rd colts evan as a number 8 and why have Ed Wylie and Stuart Dunbar both 10s at Uni, how is that good for these players careers going forward and good for NSW rugby.
I say well done to Eastwood they are the winners of the Sydney 1st colts comp as they are part of the 11 clubs who are on the same playing field and operate within the spirit of club rugby and Uni are not a rugby club but a rugby institute.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If the points system is too difficult why not simply implement what i have advocated for a number of years - if you aren't a student at Sydney Uni you cant play for them therefore the Lamonts, Talakais,Armours, Sullivans just to name a few would play with their local clubs leaving Uni to be what it should be teams comprised of Syd Uni undergraduates eg Goodman,Melrose etc.

Does that mean that if you do not live within the boundaries of the Randwick Council area, you can not play for Randwick?
Same for all the other clubs.

People often play for clubs outside their normal residential arrangements for a variety of reasons such as: my mates are there and I want to play for them; My dad played for them; I was shafted during my junior days so why should I be loyal now; It will be better for my rugby career prospects; I am following my favourite coach; They have a better programme or access to doctors, gyms, fitness and skills enhancement programmes etc; It is handy to work; I just like that club; and so on

The challenge for the other clubs is to have programmes that offer more than Uni.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Can't understand the grief that uni gets. Through their efforts, they have raised the interest in and benefits to every colts player in Sydney. And they will continue to improve the whole competition with their progressive attitude.

Does anyone seriously think that the other clubs would be offering help with education, employment and board if they weren't competing with uni?

In a couple of years things will have evened out and in twenty years all colts teams will be affiliated with an educational institution similar to gridiron (and rugby) in the U.S.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Uni apologists crack me up. Also which educational institution is Warringah going to hook up with? I know Brookie Tafe with Manly to link up with The Hospitality an Management school on Nth Head. Those claims of us following the US college system are ridiculous and I'm amazed that they would seriously thought as being viable by some such as the previous poster.
Also you shouldn't have to play for your postcode because that too is unrealistic for several reasons that have been previously mentioned. Torn Hammy the reason for peoples disgust is that they cheat and have taken the piss out of the competition again during the colts finals series. I know in recalling some grade guys they technically didn't break any rules but most people would like to see a grand final featuring players who have played colts all year, as opposed to players who were only available after being upset by Sths the previous week.

Status
Not open for further replies.