• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
How about getting to Granville, paying $10 on the door and then being told it's a fft? Another problem is that with the 2nd round system in place, teams like randwick and WH are starved of quality opposition and then have to play semis against the better teams. Then there's the question of points differential, I think randwick would've won by more than 28 if parra played.
Clubs aren't charging to get into Colts games, are they?

T

Tahboy

No.9 settle down clubs going to carnivals is about recruiting that's how clubs get players. How can a player out of school go to Partamatta or Penrith to play colts
They don't have teams you goose.
Good to see everyone having a dig at Randwick which is fine they are struggling in 1st grade and will miss the semi finals for about the 10th time in 90 years so they should hang there head in shame
They are on track to get 3 grades into the finals and 3 colts into the finals.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
OK Tahboy,
Parra & Penrith deserve to have no players because they do not go to carnivals and recruit players that other clubs have fostered for 10 years.
But then they should not expect that any players just out of School would play for them as they do not have any teams.
So if local kids who don't have to travel to play for them won't.
Why would kids from out of their area move there to play for them.Especially if there are more attractive clubs competing with Penrtith & Parra for these recruits.

T

Tahboy

I like to watch, who has been fostering players from Cowra or Armidale or Bathurst? Players from these areas want to move to Sydney for Uni or work or apprenticeships etc and play rugby and give it a crack
Case of contacting these players and see if they are interested
I would think country players would be keen on Parramatta or definatly Penrith as it has bit of a big country area feel and not the big city feel
So because Penrith or Parramatta say who would come to us they throw there arms up and say its too hard so we do nothing
If it is too hard then say so but don't put the hand out for full funding from the ARU.
Anyway the regular season is coming to an end and hopefully Parramatta and Penrith can field colts next year but I wouldn't count on it

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
I see that Gordon have signed a scholarship deal with UTS which is a step in the right direction for a proud club trying to retain the talent that it nutures through the juniors. Seems like the penny has dropped that kids have and do make a choice and clubs have to compete or die. Parra and Penrith might want to explore a similar arrangement with the Uni of Western Sydney. Coupled with a new sponsorship deal Gordon should be able to turn things around from here.

Uni Colts were back to form on Saturday with a 58 to nil shellacking of the Marlins after stumbling against a tigerish Norths outift the week before. Nothing like a wake up loss coming into the finals to focus the mind.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I see that Gordon have signed a scholarship deal with UTS which is a step in the right direction for a proud club trying to retain the talent that it nutures through the juniors. Seems like the penny has dropped that kids have and do make a choice and clubs have to compete or die. Parra and Penrith might want to explore a similar arrangement with the Uni of Western Sydney. Coupled with a new sponsorship deal Gordon should be able to turn things around from here.

Uni Colts were back to form on Saturday with a 58 to nil shellacking of the Marlins after stumbling against a tigerish Norths outift the week before. Nothing like a wake up loss coming into the finals to focus the mind.
Also nothing like being able to add three players who played First Grade in recent week, i.e. Dunbar, Melrose etc

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
sorry what part of my reply was inaccurate? (just assuming you meant mine as you qouted me)
"They have got teams but nobody plays for them" ???
"I never played against a Randwick or Easts Rep team" The wicks were represented in every age group at the recent state championships, or were you just saying that you never made a rep team yourself
"league has little impact" souths harold matts and sg ball does, as does the roosters - lets see where Jack Johnson, who just played rugby for Australia A schools (and also plays Roosters SG Ball) plays next year

Like your opinions Southside however don't think they all correct

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
Also nothing like being able to add three players who played First Grade in recent week, i.e. Dunbar, Melrose etc

They both played against Norths so no excuses, Norths wanted it more on the day. Given that Manly were third on the table before this round Uni are coming into form as expected but Norths have shown they can be beaten. The last two rounds should give a better idea of finals form.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
"They have got teams but nobody plays for them" ???
"I never played against a Randwick or Easts Rep team" The wicks were represented in every age group at the recent state championships, or were you just saying that you never made a rep team yourself
"league has little impact" souths harold matts and sg ball does, as does the roosters - lets see where Jack Johnson, who just played rugby for Australia A schools (and also plays Roosters SG Ball) plays next year

Like your opinions Southside however don't think they all correct

well the first bit is true under the randwick banner there are randwick, sth coogee, clovelly, coogee and maroubra and for east they have wallaroos,bays, mcauley and bondi...you tell me how many of the clubs actually field teams in one grade/divison let alone in every age group like a club really should be aiming for

second part cant be false its my own personal experience, they may well have been represented in every age group but when i played not that long ago there were very few randwick teams competing at state champs

they may lose one or two players no big deal, again there are very few junior clubs in the roosters and souths area which results in few league players, sure youll lose one or two to league but its nothing compared to what some other areas deal with.

T

Tahboy

Have you seen how many junior clubs are in the south Sydney league comp?
ALL clubs have to deal with League and soccer and Aust rules
Some deal with the challenges some use as an excuse

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Seriously, you have no idea. St Clair in the Penrith district would literally have more kids in their club than the entire comp at Souths.St Marys have 2 rego days each year, week 1 is for returning players, week 2 is for new rego's. In many teams there are no vacancies at all before rego's are accepted in week 2.
Most clubs out west charge a token rego fee and provide socks,shorts,jumper and in many cases track suits or fleecy jackets as part of the deal. How are Penrith or Parra going to compete with that?
AFL is spending MILLIONS on juniors in the west. In the Eastern Suburbs AFL presence cannot be compared to the effort and resources being employed in the west.
You cannot compare the challenges the west faces to build a club with the challenge of Easts & Randwick to maintain what they have always had.
Given the demographic of the East & the West, who has the greater percentage of dads & grandads who actually played Rugby and would therefore be more likely to encourage junior down the Rugby path.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I would like to know who has put in the greater effort in attracting players and building their juniors - clubs from the east or clubs from the west. I have heard the efforts of both Penrith and Parramatta have been substantial in getting the game noticed and more in favour out west especially among their juniors. What have clubs like Randwick done to grow the game in their juniors or in their schools in recent years.

I am from out of Sydney so have no knowledge of this but am still interested given the arguement put forward by Tahboy

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I would like to know who has put in the greater effort in attracting players and building their juniors - clubs from the east or clubs from the west. I have heard the efforts of both Penrith and Parramatta have been substantial in getting the game noticed and more in favour out west especially among their juniors. What have clubs like Randwick done to grow the game in their juniors or in their schools in recent years.

I am from out of Sydney so have no knowledge of this but am still interested given the arguement put forward by Tahboy

im led to believe that a bunch of primary schools have just taken up rugby union as a sport in the randwick district, dont know if this was headed by randwick, the tahs (this is my bet), or the aru...but then again who cares!! so long as its happening aye

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
im led to believe that a bunch of primary schools have just taken up rugby union as a sport in the randwick district, dont know if this was headed by randwick, the tahs (this is my bet), or the aru.but then again who cares!! so long as its happening aye
Randwick Council

T

Tahboy

I see Uni have Adrian Haangana playing the last 3 games of the season to qualify for the finals.
Some player who has done the right thing all year misses out

T

Tahboy

Ok I like to watch I am wrong and I now fully understand
Penrith and parramatta are not able to attract 45 players to play at least 2 sides.
Both clubs should at least accept having there grant from the ARU cut to reflect the numbers of teams they can field.
I am sure you would appreciate this is fair.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
ahh no actually, I would be trebling their grant. The established clubs shouldn't need help, and if they did they should stop spending cash on colts.
So I would say thanks Easts & Randwick, the money will be well spent in the west.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I see Uni have Adrian Haangana playing the last 3 games of the season to qualify for the finals.
Some player who has done the right thing all year misses out

and you can bet the minute he gets offered somthing by league he''ll go right back over again...:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.