• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPRC

Bob McCowan (2)
I read in the paper that they are playing a barbarians side

Can't speak for tomorrow's match vs Perth.

Sunday the 28th Barbarian Park Rugby Club will be playing before the Emerging Rays vs Rams followed by the main game at 3:00pm.

The teams are drawn from first grade players in Division 2 and 3 in Suburban Rugby (Park Rugby) 11:25 kickoff. Unfortunately it's a shortened game due to scheduling constraints but the Rays are doing an incredible job to support grassroots rugby just putting this on.

You've got players from Newport down to Oatley and out to Hawkesbury playing with and against eachother for the love of rugby. It promises to be a great match.

Hope to see you there

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
http://newslocal.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

Really hard to follow a team when you don't understand the selection - for mine Ed Gower has been one of the players whose consistently played well for the full 80 and cross the ad line all game - and he's on the bench. With the likes of Barry & Hollaway player why have Ed on the bench.

It then gets better we have a half playing on the wing, has he ever played wing before - go figure.

Yes rugby is a game, but FF (Folau Fainga'a)'s sake don't make the selections a game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
http://newslocal.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

Really hard to follow a team when you don't understand the selection - for mine Ed Gower has been one of the players whose consistently played well for the full 80 and cross the ad line all game - and he's on the bench. With the likes of Barry & Hollaway player why have Ed on the bench.

It then gets better we have a half playing on the wing, has he ever played wing before - go figure.

Yes rugby is a game, but FF (Folau Fainga'a)'s sake don't make the selections a game.

I agree, this is all very strange indeed. Can't understand the Gower benching and the selection of Josh Holmes on the wing is bizarre. He's hardly the quickest bloke around and at almost 28 you'd think any hidden wing talent would have been discovered by now.

Hard for the team to maintain momentum with non-sensical selections and constant changes in personnel.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I agree, this is all very strange indeed. Can't understand the Gower benching and the selection of Josh Holmes on the wing is bizarre. He's hardly the quickest bloke around and at almost 28 you'd think any hidden wing talent would have been discovered by now.

Hard for the team to maintain momentum with non-sensical selections and constant changes in personnel.

STUPID.
Feltch got caught out of position when he played on the wing against NSW country and he's a very good 15 that forms part of the back three. How the fuck do you expect a 9 to play out wide. I'd much rather see a fit starting Australian U20 prop playing than trying to play politics.

It's professional rugby not mini rugby where you need to sub players around so they all get a bit of time.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
STUPID.
Feltch got caught out of position when he played on the wing against NSW country and he's a very good 15 that forms part of the back three. How the fuck do you expect a 9 to play out wide. I'd much rather see a fit starting Australian U20 prop playing than trying to play politics.

It's professional rugby not mini rugby where you need to sub players around so they all get a bit of time.

It's difficult to detect any logical thought process going in to these selections (and some of the previous ones as well).

Talk about losing matches in the selection room.

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
I have mention earlier in the forum , That I think the coaches are the one out of there depth and not up to this level , Really Holmes on the wing , How does Harry Jones feel , Ed on the bench Gees he had 6 weeks off during the SS comp , Maybe there are to many coaches involved in team selection ??

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I have mention earlier in the forum , That I think the coaches are the one out of there depth and not up to this level , Really Holmes on the wing , How does Harry Jones feel , Ed on the bench Gees he had 6 weeks off during the SS comp , Maybe there are to many coaches involved in team selection ??

The Holmes thing is too stupid for words. I mean you have a 28 year old half back and a 19 year old excitement machine who is a winger/fullback - both from Warringah, so it can't be to maintain some sort of quota - and you pick the 28 year old half back on the wing????????:confused:

I don't think that there is anything wrong with having a selection panel as such, but you have to agree on what you're trying to achieve and set out some selection principles to make it work.

I've never been convinced of Townsend's ability as a coach.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Holmes has shown a bit of toe from time to time, but the selection on the wing is interesting to say the least.

Jones has some defensive frailties, but like Campo, his attack potential covers those deficiencies, particularly when others in the Back 3 can defend.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Holmes has shown a bit of toe from time to time, but the selection on the wing is interesting to say the least.

Jones has some defensive frailties, but like Campo, his attack potential covers those deficiencies, particularly when others in the Back 3 can defend.

This is fucking stupidity - we have a back four now how good are we.

I saw the last game and I'm sorry Tobias is not fit enough to play at this level.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

And how long has he been in elite coaching programmes? Would someone out there actually coach these kids in what they can't do, instead of just using what they can do to win junior matches:mad:

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Yep have Harry Jones start. Want to see more of him. I know the selections aren't the greatest and I don't like the constant rotations but cmon we've won 2 in a row and not much has been said about that.

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
This is fucking stupidity - we have a back four now how good are we.

I saw the last game and I'm sorry Tobias is not fit enough to play at this level.

I agree with you about Tobias , they would be playing Lewis at 3 and starting Maraki at 1 , after oranges put Lewis back to 1 and bring on who ever at 3 once the game has slowed a bit??
Lewis has been a real fine this year for both the MMM's and the NRC

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I agree with you about Tobias , they would be playing Lewis at 3 and starting Maraki at 1 , after oranges put Lewis back to 1 and bring on who ever at 3 once the game has slowed a bit??
Lewis has been a real fine this year for both the MMM's and the NRC

Rory O'Connor should be way ahead of Tobias

senior

Peter Burge (5)
There's a pretty clear plan here. The rams are an unorganised rabble that rely on about 3 individuals in attack. I am a big supporter of Hamish Angus' footy but can see that having an experienced organiser like Daruda has value here. I saw Holmes kill it in the centres a couple of years ago when Donlan was rats' 9 and it's pretty clear he's a gun anywhere in the backline. After what happened V Country, I don't know why anyone would advocate Jones above Holmes especially against the rams who will run crossfield and test out the wide defence. This is the best backrow we've had this year and may be the best centres combo. Don't know why Gower's on the bench but he could easily be due for a bit of a rest after 25 games in 27 weeks. Hopefully the MMM fans will ask him before crucifying the coaching staff (w/ MMM forward coach).
Sorry, I don't usually talk doom and gloom about my own team especially after a couple of hard-fought wins.

Reactions: qaz

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yep have Harry Jones start. Want to see more of him. I know the selections aren't the greatest and I don't like the constant rotations but cmon we've won 2 in a row and not much has been said about that.

True, but we're off the pace. Think how much better we might be going if they'd have got their selections right:). How many weeks in any we're still experimenting.:confused:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There's a pretty clear plan here. The rams are an unorganised rabble that rely on about 3 individuals in attack. I am a big supporter of Hamish Angus' footy but can see that having an experienced organiser like Daruda has value here. I saw Holmes kill it in the centres a couple of years ago when Donlan was rats' 9 and it's pretty clear he's a gun anywhere in the backline. After what happened V Country, I don't know why anyone would advocate Jones above Holmes especially against the rams who will run crossfield and test out the wide defence. This is the best backrow we've had this year and may be the best centres combo. Don't know why Gower's on the bench but he could easily be due for a bit of a rest after 25 games in 27 weeks. Hopefully the MMM fans will ask him before crucifying the coaching staff (w/ MMM forward coach).
Sorry, I don't usually talk doom and gloom about my own team especially after a couple of hard-fought wins.

I'm with you on Daruda and the back row. Holmes on the wing makes no sense. He's either in the squad as a half back or he's not in the squad. If we're that thin on wingers that we need him there, then there's something wrong with the way the extended squad was put together in the first place. It's got nothing to do with where the coaches are from - it's the decsions being made that are the problem.

Nothing to do with doom and gloom. Constant reflection on what you are/aren't doing well is the way to improve. Resting on your laurels and saying we've won a couple so everything is alright is the path to mediocrity.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

• Gower - he had a 6 week rest in the latter half of the season - 25 games 27 weeks. Not sure that you are correct there.
  • Best Centre pairing - I don't think so at all. Matthews shouldn't be there, in my eyes him being there has Maile playing out of position - I think Maile shits all over him at 12 and Sef was one of the best 13's in the comp this year - just have a look at the Marlines for and against.
  • Tobias - really I dont even want to go there.
Before anyone says but the Marlins didnt win the comp so why - please look at how Gordon / Norths / and the great year the Rats had.
Chisholm carved it up for the Rams last week - was it for political reason he (& others) ended up out west (& else where)

Status
Not open for further replies.