• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rugby Pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looking for a pub that is likely to be showing England vs Argentina with volume on Saturday night. In general though, I'd love to know some more rugby friendly pubs around Sydney, particularly in the inner city suburbs.

Given that there is an NRL final and Swans vs Saints AFL final, I'm guessing that most pubs will be focussing on those games and whilst most pubs will probably have a TV showing the rugby, chances are there will be no volume.

The Aussie Youth Hotel at Glebe is generally pretty good for showing rugby games. What other pubs can people suggest?

Apostle

Peter Burge (5)
Balmain pubs are generally pretty good for the rugby - The Royal Oak, the London, the Town Hall, etc. The Toxteth in Glebe, the Clock in Surrey Hills (actually, quite a few places in Surrey Hill) might play it. On the north side, the Union at North Sydney is good (that's where I'll be watching much of the World Cup). Might want to give them a call to make sure they will play it, though - never can tell with the League finals on.

The Cabana Bar at St Leonards (otherwise known as Norths Rugby Club) will always play the rugby before anything else, and at night they project it onto the building next door, making a massive 15 foot+ screen which is pretty cool.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The Nags Head Hotel at Glebe is a good rugby pub, they play it on every screen with commentary turned up. Generally you get a few kiwis and saffas to spar with as well.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
The Nags Head Hotel at Glebe is a good rugby pub, they play it on every screen with commentary turned up. Generally you get a few kiwis and saffas to spar with as well.

That pub is (well it used to be anyway) run by the O'Hara boys. Dan was in my year at Joeys.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
We've struggled for years in the Blue Mountains but finally the Alex(andra) Hotel in Leura is prioriting rugby over the devil's code. Me, Jonnosan, a couple of the Sydney Convicts, and a few others are regulars.

Also, the Gardiner's in Blackheath is usually solid.

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know of any kid friendly pubs out there that will be showing the rugby? Something like the Newport Arms with a beer garden (just right for the weekend afternoon games) and a kids play area would be ideal.

Suggestions for the inner west much appreciated.

B

BRIX

Bastards, I'm going to have to start drinking at 4:30am due to time difference. Enjoy

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The Harlequin in Pyrmont is good too. Lots of Kiwis though, lured by the prospect of an easy buck down the road at Star City.

Status
Not open for further replies.