• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez calm down Nick. I reckon 95% of players couldn't give a shit about payments. They might rant about it over a beer after training, but does it really effect them? They just want to have a run around on a Saturday like everyone else.

The payment issue is now almost wholly isolated to 1st div, us peasants down in 3rd div couldn't give a shit at the end of the day.

Stacking is a more interesting one, because there are so many different facets to it. At Kings we've had a really successful 4th grade side over the past three years (made a semi and two finals). The rest of the club has done fuck all.

Our 4ths are a group of older guys who have been mates for years, and a few of them used to play higher grades. They now have wives and kids and the early start and lower intensity suits them well. They all know each other backwards and it shows on the field.

A few of them could play 3rds, and a couple 2nds. But they don't want to. We've tried to make them, and they won't.

So are we supposed to tell them to bugger off? Many clubs have teams like this, or just players- blokes who like the early start and softer matches. Ultimately you can't force people to play grades they don't want to.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The problem with stacking comes mid-season, where a club realises their 3s or 4s may have a chance at a title while the 1s and 2s don't.

So all of a sudden a few new faces pop up in the lower grades, taking a mid-table team well up into the top 4 and all the way to the title.

That is the problem I have- UNSW did it in 4th grade a few years ago and ultimately beat us in the final with blokes that were way too good for 4ths, and did not appear in the two matches we played against them earlier in the year.

Subbies cracked down on Barker Old Boys 4s last year, which I thought was harsh. They had a great 4s with good players but they had had that team together for a couple of years, with the same rationale as our 4ths- older players who preferred the early start. Bit harsh to boot them out, at least they kept the side consistent through the year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jeez calm down Nick. I reckon 95% of players couldn't give a shit about payments. They might rant about it over a beer after training, but does it really effect them?

Try any of the following and get back to me:

1) Running a club - particularly where Subbies pull you up for minor infractions of rules in a lower division, and completely ignore those of the big boys

2) Playing in a first grade side that was in half-decent shape up until a team of paid-for opponents injured several of your best players

3) Being IN a club where your loyalty wasn't worth jack shit once the imports came along

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I know your experiences, but they were a few years ago and my point still stands, I just don't think it matters for 95% of blokes.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Maybe not. But without blokes running clubs, players have nowhere they can enjoy the game, and we all become fat fuck armchair fans like in the USA.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
While I agree Subbies needed to stand on this, this suggestion is good way for Subbies to no longer exist, do this to a few clubs and all of a sudden we have another rugby comp in Sydney, where players can get paid because the clubs who do set it up, either that or you have a lot of players who suddenly go to league or AFL because their club is now defunct, personally there is no way that if Hunters were forcibly disbanded that I would play for one of the other local clubs.

Pretty simple....don't cheat and break the rules by playing players and your club has nothing to worry about. Sadly we are only really talking about 4 DiV 1 clubs and 2 Div 2 clubs that cannot seem to understand that the parties over.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
They're too busy having a dick-swinging competition over who can buy a premiership to care about "rules" and whatnot.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Sadly we are only really talking about 4 DiV 1 clubs and 2 Div 2 clubs that cannot seem to understand that the parties over.

It would be interesting to see which four and which two clubs you are talking about.
If I am coming up against against a paid team it could be interesting to definitely know this, unless Victor Matfield has suddenly taken my spot in 1's (or I just got shitter than I have been).

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
It would be interesting to see which four and which two clubs you are talking about.
If I am coming up against against a paid team it could be interesting to definitely know this, unless Victor Matfield has suddenly taken my spot in 1's (or I just got shitter than I have been).

Just follow the player movements to work it out.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Just follow the player movements to work it out.

Yep, because I have looked at every player that played for a first grade team last year across all 6 divisions.

Come on mate, you are more than happy to get on here, make innuendo's about other peoples actions and then back it up by saying research it yourself? Do you work for the Daily Telegraph by any chance? Maybe the Betoota Advocate?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If I am coming up against against a paid team it could be interesting to definitely know this,

Fucking oath - it makes for the best sledging material when you occasionally get one up on them.

"Can't believe they paid you for that!"

"Do they take money away when you fuck up like this?"

etc.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yep, because I have looked at every player that played for a first grade team last year across all 6 divisions.

Come on mate, you are more than happy to get on here, make innuendo's about other peoples actions and then back it up by saying research it yourself? Do you work for the Daily Telegraph by any chance? Maybe the Betoota Advocate?

Pfitzy you'll find I never name any particular club unless they are first identified by others. When I have confirmed inside intel I provide what Ive heard and generally people to join the dots. Most of my mail of late has been spot on.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy you'll find I never name any particular club unless they are first identified by others. When I have confirmed inside intel I provide what Ive heard and generally people to join the dots. Most of my mail of late has been spot on.

Wasn't me mate :)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah there was an email sent around the other day, will find it now.

EDIT: Not an official communication, but looks like insurance will be per team not per player, clubs will have to pay participation levy and Subbies will probably use the ARU rego system.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ That covers players and their insurance cover, but what about Canteen, BBQ, Ground Marshall and other game day volunteer staff and how are they covered (primarily for public liability)?

I'm still not sure how this will work under the Big New Tax regime.

Do they, or the clubs, need to pay a levy and submit a form to the insurance company before the volunteers can turn a sausage, or sell a meat pie at the club BBQ, or dress a field, keep time, manage the scoreboard etc to be covered by ARU Insurance?

Without the grass roots volunteers, our game grinds to a halt. Simple.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
St. Pats have just sent a letter to the Subbies Chairman threatening to leave Suburban Rugby unless their 'demands are met.' They are seeking approval to give their 1st Grade side free physio, strapping tape, gym membership etc etc.. This was rejected by the Integrity Committee and now they threatening a walk out.
They have seriously lost the plot. I'm not sure why they think people will give a sh1t if they leave the comp? Good riddance I say.

Expect others to get on the band wagon to try and bully subbies into watering down their Amatuer rules. Subbies would be fifthly that they have emailed all DIV clubs. I agree with you footyhead....let them go. Geeez Briars could be strong this year!

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
The Subbies board have invested a lot of time and energy into this Amateur structure. There is no way in hell they will budge just because 1 club think they are more important than they really are. By sending that letter to 30 other clubs they have made themselves look like fools and completely destroyed their reputation. RIP.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Subbies board have invested a lot of time and energy into this Amateur structure. There is no way in hell they will budge just because 1 club think they are more important than they really are. By sending that letter to 30 other clubs they have made themselves look like fools and completely destroyed their reputation. RIP.

As I mentioned above this is clearly designed to flush out support from other clubs who are fundamentaly aligned with the St Pats thinking. Lets see if any come forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.