• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Some gossip from various bars re Div 1.
Balmain, Pats and Drummoyne struggling for numbers with the departure of the paid players.
Colleagues and Mosman only two clubs who have confirmed 5th grades.

Rugbyfish

Stan Wickham (3)
It will be interesting to see whether, now that payments are gone we see players leaving bigger clubs to play for smaller clubs in lower division that are closer to where they live.

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
Balmain, Pats and Drummoyne struggling for numbers with the departure of the paid players.

I have heard the same about the clubs losing numbers which you hope is a sign of a more well rounded comp.
Colleagues & Mosman always have strong numbers with a good set up. I think you will find a lot of the 5th grade players will be there round 1. There not the pre season types. Old Ignatians is certainly in that mould with over 100 different guys being at pre season but none of the traditional 5th grade soldiers. Extra colts will also fill up the lower grades id imagine at clubs like Iggies & Knox

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)

I think you will find that is because Colleagues & Mosman are the only Subbies rugby club in their areas.

"Balmain, Pats and Drummoyne" are all in the same area so they effectively need players for 15 teams not 5 teams that Colleagues or Mosman do.

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
It will be interesting to see whether, now that payments are gone we see players leaving bigger clubs to play for smaller clubs in lower division that are closer to where they live.

Players leaving a Club to go to the next is a big step so I doubt that players who were allegedly being paid would drop down Divisions just to play locally. They still want to compete at the highest level.

Peej

Allen Oxlade (6)
What would the scenario be for a Balmain player who may be picked in the NRC for Stars now since they get paid. Do they not get paid because their from subbies because that could be enough of a recruitment tool for some guys if the offer of $5000 which is what the Rays players base payment was dangled as a lure for being a squad member.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)

I think lower grade forfeits will be a common occurrence across the DIVs throughout the season as clubs enforce no pay no play policies to recoup the ARU levies. This will impact overall player numbers as it discourages the part timers and drifters who clubs rely onto fill gaps throughout the year.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
What would the scenario be for a Balmain player who may be picked in the NRC for Stars now since they get paid. Do they not get paid because their from subbies because that could be enough of a recruitment tool for some guys if the offer of $5000 which is what the Rays players base payment was dangled as a lure for being a squad member.

I would assume that each NRC team is only allowed to contract so many players.
I would assume that any Balmain players signed to the Sydney Stars would have a contract to verify this, which would be fine.

Wazza, Camo and the Balmain guys would have spoken to Subbies and the Integrity Commission about this already.

grobbo

Stan Wickham (3)
I would assume that each NRC team is only allowed to contract so many players.
I would assume that any Balmain players signed to the Sydney Stars would have a contract to verify this, which would be fine.

Wazza, Camo and the Balmain guys would have spoken to Subbies and the Integrity Commission about this already.

I feel the fact that Balmain are even in NRC is a joke, this is just personal opinion, but I feel if the NRC want any credibility as a comp they will not use players from a grass roots rugby club (a subbies club) but take players only from premier rugby.

And if a player is seriously wanting to be considered for the NRC and essentially professional rugby, well then they shouldn't be playing grass roots rugby. Go up through the ranks!

People seem to be forgetting that the point of subbies is for normal people who just love rugby and want to have a run. Not having to worrying about facing the Fijian front row in Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
I feel the fact that Balmain are even in NRC is a joke, this is just personal opinion, but I feel if the NRC want any credibility as a comp they will not use players from a grass roots rugby club (a subbies club) but take players only from premier rugby.

And if a player is seriously wanting to be considered for the NRC and essentially professional rugby, well then they shouldn't be playing grass roots rugby. Go up through the ranks!

People seem to be forgetting that the point of subbies is for normal people who just love rugby and want to have a run. Not having to worrying about facing the Fijian front row in Saturday.

I think you'll find that is already beginning to happen. Jake Wainwright has been playing #8 for Uni after impressing with balmain and the stars last twar

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Let's see if Subbies come down hard on them like they did Campbelltown...

I think lower grade forfeits will be a common occurrence across the DIVs throughout the season as clubs enforce no pay no play policies to recoup the ARU levies. This will impact overall player numbers as it discourages the part timers and drifters who clubs rely onto fill gaps throughout the year.

A lot of clubs with drifters will simply put them under the name of a registered player who isn't there or somehow ends up playing multiple grades that day.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Let's see if Subbies come down hard on them like they did Campbelltown.

A lot of clubs with drifters will simply put them under the name of a registered player who isn't there or somehow ends up playing multiple grades that day.

Big risk to take if that player gets seriously injured and isnt registered. Coaches, and club officals would be personally liable in that instance. Hence why clubs wont rsik it.

Camo

Frank Nicholson (4)

Two separate organisations. It likened to playing Rep footy.

I'm not involved in the Stars administration in anyway and can't comment on how the Rays operated but I was not aware of any base payments etc particularly with any BRC players that played or where in the Stars squad last year.

I think we had 7 in the squad last year and our first graders have the same opportunity this season.

I admit I'm biased, but I can only see it as a positive that our players have the opportunity to play at higher/rep level without having to leave the club.

mjk1984

Frank Row (1)
Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster

which clubs actually have confirmed numbers for a Halligan team(s)?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Big risk to take if that player gets seriously injured and isnt registered. Coaches, and club officals would be personally liable in that instance. Hence why clubs wont rsik it.

Yep huge risk. But the chances of someone being seriously hurt are low, while the chances of Subbies coming down on you for forfeits is high.

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
Yep huge risk. But the chances of someone being seriously hurt are low, while the chances of Subbies coming down on you for forfeits is high.

Ridiculous comment Pfitzy. People get seriously injured in every club every week of the year. Seriously injured could be an ACL where a player cant work for 8 weeks - because he is not insured under the Club insurance then he cant claim loss of income insurance.

I agree with HeavyD that the biggest drain on players this year will come because of the new ARU fees & Clubs not wanting to risk it as it has been written by NSW Subbies that a Clubs Board will be liable which is something that no part-time volunteer is keen to shoulder.

The Clubs in affluent areas will be OK but some Clubs in less affluent areas will struggle with the new set up.

Two separate organisations. It likened to playing Rep footy.

I'm not involved in the Stars administration in anyway and can't comment on how the Rays operated but I was not aware of any base payments etc particularly with any BRC players that played or where in the Stars squad last year.

I think we had 7 in the squad last year and our first graders have the same opportunity this season.

I admit I'm biased, but I can only see it as a positive that our players have the opportunity to play at higher/rep level without having to leave the club.

Cammo, welcome back.

From what I understand not all Clubs paid players in the NRC. The Sydney Stars came out & said they weren’t paying players.

The Rays did pay as did the Country Cockatoos but those teams demanded a lot of the players who consequently asked was their $5k worth taking 10 weeks off work? Word is that the Cockatoos are struggling for cash & won’t be paying anyone this year.

As long as Balmain don’t pay them then I don’t think Subbies could have an issue with it regardless as they were the ones that picked a dozen or something Balmain players in the rep team last year.

Cammo, how is Balmain looking this year?

Says who? Are you the official spokesman of Subbies?

Many others in Div 2 are saying they are excited to face P Hola who is an International & played 1st grade last year in Shute Shield.

If people didn’t want to play better opposition why is there Divisions spread across the city. If everyone just wanted to “have a run” then wouldn’t it make sense to have Clubs regionally aligned.

But that doesn’t work because the cream rises. Players play for higher Division Clubs because the standard, referees, grounds, clubhouses are better in most cases than the lower Divisions. Thats not always the case & there are stand out Clubs in lower Divisions but generally speaking the Higher Divisions bring better Clubs.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster

which clubs actually have confirmed numbers for a Halligan team(s)?

The number of Halligan cup teams always floats, you typically get 4 or 5 clubs have teams all year then there can be up 20 or more other teams that float in and out as there numbers allow.
It is organised much like English Rugby used to be where the team official organises a game for the next week with who ever is available.
Generally works well with most games played in good spirit, occasionally you will get a team who does the wrong thing. Guess what the word gets around and they struggle to find a game as the season goes along.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think you will find that is because Colleagues & Mosman are the only Subbies rugby club in their areas.

"Balmain, Pats and Drummoyne" are all in the same area so they effectively need players for 15 teams not 5 teams that Colleagues or Mosman do.

I wouldn't say Pats is in the same area as Balmain and Drummoyne (no argument with those two).
Interesting question do players play for a club based on geography, mates or close to work.
Or as "sack robbie" mentioned looking to play for a better club.

mjk1984

Frank Row (1)
The number of Halligan cup teams always floats, you typically get 4 or 5 clubs have teams all year then there can be up 20 or more other teams that float in and out as there numbers allow.
It is organised much like English Rugby used to be where the team official organises a game for the next week with who ever is available.
Generally works well with most games played in good spirit, occasionally you will get a team who does the wrong thing. Guess what the word gets around and they struggle to find a game as the season goes along.

Many thanks for that, I had a general idea of the logistics side of things, however just trying to get a idea around who/which clubs in 2015 have a team/capability for a team

Status
Not open for further replies.