• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
I wouldn't say Pats is in the same area as Balmain and Drummoyne (no argument with those two).
Interesting question do players play for a club based on geography, mates or close to work. Or as "sack robbie" mentioned looking to play for a better club.

Yeh my point was Div 1 teams. You could also include Petersham in with Balmain & Drummoyne as they are very close (under 3kms)

Closest Div 1 Subbies club to Mosman is Knox I guess? That is 18km on google maps.

Closest Div 1 team to Colleagues would be Petersham & they are 10.5km away.

Camo

Frank Nicholson (4)
Cammo, how is Balmain looking this year?

I believe we'll be competitive in the higher grades. We have a few old wise heads who have come back into the fold who have had a season or two off due to work, family etc that will contribute a boost in experience for 1s & 2s.
As for the mid to lowers & Colties, a bit difficult to gauge at this early stage.

Like I've seen with many clubs this year - we are really cracking down with a not pay no play policy in regards to fees. It hasn't been the best over the last couple of seasons, so we are looking at setting a precedent early on.
This may effect our numbers on the field early on, but hoping by setting the standards early, we'll reap the spoils later on.

Should be a huge contest against Colleagues for round 1 this Saturday @ Leichhardt!

grobbo

Stan Wickham (3)
Yeh my point was Div 1 teams. You could also include Petersham in with Balmain & Drummoyne as they are very close (under 3kms)

Closest Div 1 Subbies club to Mosman is Knox I guess? That is 18km on google maps.

Closest Div 1 team to Colleagues would be Petersham & they are 10.5km away.

I completely agree, you find the hill area is the worst. You have hills, Hornsby, beecroft, Epping, rouse hill, knoxs and BOB's and I think KOB's ( if their playing at Kings now? Last time I played against them was at Glebe?) all looking for players and all within a stone throw from each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
Knox, BOBs & KOBs have the advantage of school allegiances.

Hills
Hornsby (havent they p*ssed off to the Central Coast comp)
Epping
Beecroft

These guys must struggle being so close to each other & probably why they are not in the top Div as the talent pool is spread.

Which demonstrates the difficulty that Balmain, Drummoyne & Petersham have in Div 1 all going for the same players as they have no school alliances.

This is probably a good reason why Colleagues are strong throughout the grades as the lower grades are generally better players who dont have another Div 1 Club to go & play at to make a higher grade.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ridiculous comment Pfitzy. People get seriously injured in every club every week of the year. Seriously injured could be an ACL where a player cant work for 8 weeks - because he is not insured under the Club insurance then he cant claim loss of income insurance.

Based on this and other comments, I now see the problem: you seem to be living in some fantasy world where a club is able to reasonably expect a new player to:

A) Produce suitable ID
B) Fill out a form with their real name and details
C) Pay the full amount of subs owing

I tell you without word of a lie that, if you're in a lower division and dealing with Islanders in particular, your ability to globally enforce any combination of those things is severely compromised by the fact that you need to put out X teams per week and you'll get fucking hounded by Subbies if you don't.

If someone's uce turns up play front row, and you were about to put your first grade loosehead down there because you were out of numbers, you'll do it and worry about the consequences later.

Look down your nose as "irresponsible" behaviour if you want (and probably will, judging but how you're carrying on here), but chances are clubs will take that risk.

The worst of them are the Maori guys who say "we don't pay to play back home bro!" and club administrators let that shit slide.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
I agree with pfitzy, having islanders involved with your club imposes a whole different mindset when it comes to club administration.
There are also cultural differences that we can never begin to understand

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
"his is probably a good reason why Colleagues are strong throughout the grades as the lower grades are generally better players who dont have another Div 1 Club to go & play at to make a higher grade."

Colleagues being literally next door to Easts, have a different situation. Not sure if they lose many up to Easts but they often pick up some from Easts particularly as the season progresses.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Hi All

Must say i am not having much luck with the new results system in terms of draws!!!!

Are Div 3 and 4 teams all running colts teams? If so who are they playing against? I know Div 3 had about 5 colts teams for the past few years. I can see that Beecroft already have team lists on their website and they have a colts game against Briars!!!!

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Am i right in saying that Dundas and Sydney Grammar Old Boys have bitten the dust over the off season?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Certainly can't see them in 6th Division listing.

Though some might say "good riddance" to Dundas!

grobbo

Stan Wickham (3)
Hi All

Must say i am not having much luck with the new results system in terms of draws!!!!

Are Div 3 and 4 teams all running colts teams? If so who are they playing against? I know Div 3 had about 5 colts teams for the past few years. I can see that Beecroft already have team lists on their website and they have a colts game against Briars!!!!

So as far as I know, subbies couldn't get enought colts teams through div 3 & 4 to run the Radford cup. Which is extremely disappointing. They were hoping for 5 teams to run the comp and they couldn't get that through the 2 divs. quite disappointing.

*this is just what I think* but it could be the lack of numbers in Union in the last few years, forcing clubs to have their non-compulsory colts teams to play in the open grades to make up the numbers needed to meet the subbies divisional standards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
The Rugby Link website is potentially the biggest example of ARU incompetence. The system is hilariously not built for administrating sporting clubs.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It doesn't appear to be all that good for running sporting competitions either, particularly with some of the information that rugby folk want to get "out of the system".

Little wonder Sydney Juniors decided to stay with their Buddha system. Both Shute Shield and QLD Premier Rugby competition data is missing or inaccurate, and there are complaints about how user unfriendly it is. I don't think any proper user training, or User Acceptance Testing has been undertaken on Rugby Link before the ARU decided to leap in boots and all.

Is is round 4 in Sydney, and about round 6 in Brisbane and only slight improvements have been made to the system, or the data within the system.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
I notice that Div 6 are playing for 2 separate trophies rather than coming together at finals time to play for one! Makes sense really!!!!!!!!!!!!

mous

Frank Nicholson (4)
I notice that Div 6 are playing for 2 separate trophies rather than coming together at finals time to play for one! Makes sense really!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's a good change compared to last year. Last year's final series was difficult when you met teams you had never played all year. Twice, depending on how far you went into late August/early September. This year seems like there is a Superbowl-esque ring to it.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
And so it begins.......

Petersham vs Brothers in Div 1 will be watched with interest as a gauge to how competitve they will be this year. After halting a mass exodus of players Brothers will be looking to establish credibility. My tip Brothers

Likewise DIV 2 Hills vs UNSW will be a similar contest. Following UNSW 2nd round implosion last year theyll be looking to re-right the ship and stamp some authority over newcomers Hills. My tip Hills

Div 3 sees newly relegated Saints take on old foes Waverly at Hassall park with both clubs having a clear focus on getting back to 2nd Div. My tip - Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.