• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think there needs to be a better feedback mechanism for refs.

Over the years I've had a few shockers, but I don't want to go through a formal complaints procedure.

It's not even major 'he was biased' stuff, just things like a ref who didn't know that a collapsed maul resulted in a scrum to the defending team, and pinged us multiple times for 'not rolling away'. That's just basic shit, but I don't want to complain about it.

You get a number of blokes in the lower grades who just have no idea. I wish there was an easy way to say that to Subbies without making it into a whole big deal.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
I think there needs to be a better feedback mechanism for refs.

Over the years I've had a few shockers, but I don't want to go through a formal complaints procedure.

It's not even major 'he was biased' stuff, just things like a ref who didn't know that a collapsed maul resulted in a scrum to the defending team, and pinged us multiple times for 'not rolling away'. That's just basic shit, but I don't want to complain about it.

You get a number of blokes in the lower grades who just have no idea. I wish there was an easy way to say that to Subbies without making it into a whole big deal.

Standard of reffing improves considerably as you move up the divisions. Had a few shockers over the years but I wouldn't think this is a motivating factor in someone not playing?

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Should be set up like they have In grade Cricket

Umpires scoring system 1-5 in different aspects of the game for each game

EG
Refs Overall Performance- 1-5

Game Management Listed Below
Foul Play
Scrums
Offside
Player Behaviour

Etc
Think most people would agree, they don't care if Refs miss some things like knock ons or have different interpretations that's all part and parcel of the game but when Blatant Foul Play is missed or completely ignored that's when people become frustrated

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
I am a referee in Grade and Subbies, and the main difference in my opinion is that a lot of Subbies people and players have little idea of the laws.

I haven't had a Subbies game this year, but in the 3 Grade Colts games I've refereed, most of the questions I were asked were relevant in law, and all of them had a generally good understanding of the law.

A referee I know has been helping out at a Premier Club training and a Div 1/2 Subbies Club training. He told me that when he went to that Div 1/2 Subbies Club, they had absolutely no idea about the definition of a tackle, tackler, tackle assist, ruck, etc. A good starting point would be a read of the Game Management Guidelines: http://rugby.net.au/news/Law-Changes-x-15844.html

As always, if you think you can do a better job, pick up the whistle! We'd be happy to have you.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
I am a referee in Grade and Subbies, and the main difference in my opinion is that a lot of Subbies people and players have little idea of the laws.

I haven't had a Subbies game this year, but in the 3 Grade Colts games I've refereed, most of the questions I were asked were relevant in law, and all of them had a generally good understanding of the law.

A referee I know has been helping out at a Premier Club training and a Div 1/2 Subbies Club training. He told me that when he went to that Div 1/2 Subbies Club, they had absolutely no idea about the definition of a tackle, tackler, tackle assist, ruck, etc. A good starting point would be a read of the Game Management Guidelines: http://rugby.net.au/news/Law-Changes-x-15844.html

As always, if you think you can do a better job, pick up the whistle! We'd be happy to have you.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I stand corrected. Players don't understand the rules and referees in the lower grades are without peer. Go and watch a 4th grade game refereed by someone not fit enough to keep up with the play, blows the pee out of the whistle and has both teams perplexed with decisions that change the course of games.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
I stand corrected. Players don't understand the rules and referees in the lower grades are without peer. Go and watch a 4th grade game refereed by someone not fit enough to keep up with the play, blows the pee out of the whistle and has both teams perplexed with decisions that change the course of games.

Most importantly though - is the ref consistent to both teams? If so, errors can always be forgiven, just like dropped balls from forwards (not backs, don't forgive backs...)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Any player getting paid more than the ref can feel free to make their financial status known to Subbies, and then give judgement accordingly.

Because that's how a lot of players act - like they're fucking superstars. Like they never dropped a ball, missed a kick or tackle, or infringed on the Laws of the game.

I'm a qualified AR, and I'll stick my hand up and say right away that I've made mistakes (I'm not on Christmas Card lists for either Briars or Beecroft) but they never affected the result of a game. I've also said some horrible things about refs that I actually regret, because they're just out there trying to enjoy their game, too.

Considering our refs make peanuts compared to other codes, we do alright. If that is what's chasing players away, maybe tell them that League will welcome them with open arms if they want the refs to refer to them by first name, or listen to their hurt feelings, or whatever it is they're after.

If you want to help the ref out, then make sure your club supplies a qualified AR wherever possible - someone who can maintain his neutrality to the best of his ability. Some refs still won't listen, and those are the only ones I don't understand.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's tough. I reffed at Subbies level for a couple of years, then quit to go back to playing.

I recognise how hard reffing can be, and know that sometimes you just don't see a knock-on, or something that may be obvious to those on the sideline. I'm fine with that.

What I don't like is when the ref's interpretation is just wrong, and I see it too often in low grade refs. Or when a ref just doesn't know the laws, or are using an interpretation that changed five years ago.

Or refs that are overly touchy to any sort of backchat. Obviously ref abuse can never be tolerated, but I refuse to accept 'offside sir' or 'not straight sir' constitutes backchat. A little bit of back-and-forth should be fine, it's a part of Subbies rugby and as long as it doesn't get hostile or abusive then I reckon it should be play on.

Sometimes though some of the stuff said to refs makes your hair stand on end, especially from the sidelines.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I coach my players to do their talking with their shoulders. Not going to beat the ref, particularly if you get him offside to start with.

At halftime, if there has been any back chat, I put it right up them with the old "if you've got breath to talk, you're not working hard enough"

What I don't like is when the ref's interpretation is just wrong, and I see it too often in low grade refs. Or when a ref just doesn't know the laws, or are using an interpretation that changed five years ago.

And this is where money needs to be invested - preseason ref training to make sure everyone is up to speed. I also think more money for refs would improve quality.

I'd also like to ensure that refs are given appointments based on the Grade, not the Division. This can make a big difference.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Matches of the Round

Div 1
Petersham v Mosman- Both teams with a win each and sitting equal on Competition Points, will say Mosman by 6

Div 2
Waverley v Hunters Hill- Top of the Table clash, the 2 form teams of Div 2, think the men from Bondi will continue their winning ways.. Waverley by 15

Div 3
HAC v St Ives- Hac are off to thei usual high flying starts, while St Ives have been flying under the radat and are sitting 4th behind the big guns. Will be tough road trip but they wont be pushovers like HAC's 2 of 3 games
HAC by 13

Div 4
Canterbury v Sydney Irish - To teams that are there or thereabouts normally playing out at Wills Ground. Expect to be very close with a late try or kick to win it Canterbury by 2

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Well done to rugbynews for publishing Kentwell Cup teams. Just wondering why Balmain have nominated those players - gotta think that they are making a mockery of what is a good move for Subbies Rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
Well done to rugbynews for publishing Kentwell Cup teams. Just wondering why Balmain have nominated those players - gotta think that they are making a mockery of what is a good move for Subbies Rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Balmain only cares about Balmain.

Big 8

Bob McCowan (2)
Heard that Waverley 1st Grade performed a Haka against Hunters Hill prior to the 1 vs 2 clash of the round. The Hillies apparently showed respect faced them then watered down the hyped up Waverley by forming a circle got down on one knee and bowed heads in prayer..........Hunters Hill then went about their job and belted Waverly in front of their ladies day.

3rd man in

Frank Nicholson (4)
Heard that Waverley 1st Grade performed a Haka against Hunters Hill prior to the 1 vs 2 clash of the round. The Hillies apparently showed respect faced them then watered down the hyped up Waverley by forming a circle got down on one knee and bowed heads in prayer....Hunters Hill then went about their job and belted Waverly in front of their ladies day.
By 2 points? Good belting....

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Trained the team I wanted during the week. Show up and half of them aren't there. Makes it fucking hard to win a game.

As it was, we scored in the last couple of minutes to make it 5-10 to Harlequins, who played a damn sight smarter and harder at the ruck than we did.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Heard that Waverley 1st Grade performed a Haka against Hunters Hill prior to the 1 vs 2 clash of the round. The Hillies apparently showed respect faced them then watered down the hyped up Waverley by forming a circle got down on one knee and bowed heads in prayer....Hunters Hill then went about their job and belted Waverly in front of their ladies day.

Wasn't a belting. Actually went and saw this game. Result easily could have gone the other way. Each time Waverley looked like cracking the game open they dropped the ball or turned over possession. Hunters very stoic in defence. Gritty win. The Fijian 7 and 9 for Hunters probably the difference.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Wasn't a belting. Actually went and saw this game. Result easily could have gone the other way. Each time Waverley look like cracking the game open they dropped the ball or turned over possession. Hunters very stoic in defence. Gritty win. The Fijian 7 and 9 for Hunters probably the difference.

It was a belting for the body! Congratulations to the Waves boys for a really hard game of rugby. Call of the weekend came from the Waves captain/coach with - "respect the ref mate, this isn't soccer".

Status
Not open for further replies.