• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Rugby Central

Agree totally didn't mean to imply Subbies clubs would need to pay but, Councils to ask for Clubs to throw some coin in

Trouble would also be they would never make them purely for Rugby

They would be Soccer, NRL and Rugby fields all in 1 which as we all know we don't want to be continuously sharing with other codes especially clubs with established grounds eg Forest, Hills, Hunters Hill, Epping clubs like that

Would be ideal if a Shute Shield Club Eg Parramatta or Penrith would be able to upgrade their facilities like that and 2-3 synthetic fields

Easts after the season are changing theirs to Synthetic. If it happened and rolled over to Woollahra 1 and 2 you could have a rugby base, All Finals could be played there without the issue of wet weather

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Tips this week

Div 1- Balmain v Petersham
This is a very interesting game in Div 1. Balmain Sitting 3rd Petersham sitting just outside the 4.. will be a tight tussle, with Wet Weather predicted I am going to say Petersham who notoriously good a grinding out victories

Div 2- Hunter Hill v Forest
Ladder Leaders v Top 4 Hopeful. Last time around Forest gave Hunters Hill their only defeat thus far, one feels that will do it again in the wet. Much bigger and stronger forward pack, but if some passes stick in Hunters Hills Back 3 it could be a different Story... Forest by 6

Div 3- Beecroft v HAC
Another top of the table clash. Week in a week out I Tip that HAC are going to drop a game but I cant see that happening, although I think it will be tight. HAC should be able to grind out a win against a Young and much smaller Beecroft Side in the wet

Honourable Mentions

Redfield v Brothers- Should be a cracker, Redfield haven't had it all their own way this year and Brothers are flying under the radar possibly a draw?

Newport v Waverley- On Newport's ladies day, can they break the hoodoo of the comp of Waverley absolutely destroying teams on their Ladies Day. If the rain comes this game will a very low scoring affair, to close to call possibly another draw at a Porters Reserve Mud Bowl

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Speaking of Councils, how many councils are going to close there grounds in the Wake so Sydney's Big Wet this weekend?

Only 1 Guaranteed game this weekend at that's at Wills Ground

Yep - that's where we'll be. Numbers aren't looking flash for the lower grades, either.

I've run out of motivation at this point. Too much other shit to do, including work, which is why I missed training last night.

Could have gone to regular training Wednesday night, but it never works well because fucking Origin is on and the players want to watch that :rolleyes:

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Anyone no the rule book for if a ground starts open then becomes unplayable. So if you get results in 3 and 4ths are the other games considered washouts or have to be replayed? My tip is most councils will close all grounds this afternoon and the first sight of rain.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Think that's correct with the results with games played standing and then others to be replayed.. I cant see any referee though abandoning a game because of wet weather, look back to Semi Finals a few years ago in DIV 1 at David Phillips where it was underwater the whole day!!!

Be Surprised, there's been no real significant rain today and yesterday can see more games on then off this afternoon, but some may be called off tomorrow morning if there is overnight rain

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
When the ground comes apart packing scrums could be extremely dangerous. Also clubs face pressure with councils to cease play when they start destroying the field mid season. Think youll find if games do get underway and the weather that is predicted happens that refs wiil stop games with a duty of care for player safety.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
guess we will find out tomorrow wont we, lets just remember we aren't expecting the 150mm Tomorrow.. that's Sunday... and if your council is Blacktown or Hills Shire Pfitzy can back this up once they are open on Friday afternoon you play regardless so what's happened overnight or during the day, very rare they are opened in the wake of rain especially Blacktown Council

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wet Weather - pffft
This is wet weather footy

Forshaw Park.Next Event - 200 Metres Freestyle.

1-jpg.5237

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
When the ground comes apart packing scrums could be extremely dangerous. Also clubs face pressure with councils to cease play when they start destroying the field mid season. Think youll find if games do get underway and the weather that is predicted happens that refs wiil stop games with a duty of care for player safety.

Accept your point, but I haven't heard of that happening before, except in the case of lightening.

Would be a brave council to close grounds now I would have thought, especially for Saturday with the way the weather is predicted. I would suggest that with the amount predicted, there is no assurance that if games were cancelled this weekend, that you'd be able to have fields open next weekend for the wet weather bye. There is another wet weather bye later on in the year, but I'd expect there to be more challenges with weather between now and then

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Easts after the season are changing theirs to Synthetic. If it happened and rolled over to Woollahra 1 and 2 you could have a rugby base, All Finals could be played there without the issue of wet weather

No proper grandstand at Easts

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, fuck me sideways with a rusty clawhammer - Wills Ground is closed!

I've played there while it was a fucking swamp, though it was Semifinal day so they tend to be a bit more lenient in that regard (Sefton Park 2008 Grand Final *mutter* *mutter).

Apparently the river is rising and it might get up onto the ground.

Fucked thing is, now I have to coach on the long weekend. Fuck it.

3rd man in

Frank Nicholson (4)
Sad to see various Old Boys clubs going down. Doesn't bode well considering they are affiliated with major rugby nurseries. Not good signs.

Also is there potential in a division 5, 2 grade competition for 2017 season. Kings Old Boys could potentially come in along with div 6 sides like Maccabi who can almost field 2 whole sides. Always depends on interest though.
Have a look at oakhill old boys goooooone.... about 3 or 4 years ago. Struggled with player numbers and financially as well.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
We were gonna cancel, but Macarthur called at 9am and said their ground was free.

So we played at home and got the win. Just before the game, a transformer box in the neighboring school exploded.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, fuck me sideways with a rusty clawhammer - Wills Ground is closed!

I've played there while it was a fucking swamp, though it was Semifinal day so they tend to be a bit more lenient in that regard (Sefton Park 2008 Grand Final *mutter* *mutter).

Apparently the river is rising and it might get up onto the ground.

Fucked thing is, now I have to coach on the long weekend. Fuck it.

As to why we didn't play at our ground, with Canterbury closed: Our ground was available, and in great condition.

The problem is Hills Fucking Council, who put our posts in using shit equipment, cracking one of the post jackets at the northern end. So they pulled them out because they were hazardous, and haven't gotten around to replacing them.

Three games against Canterbury this year, and ALL of them could have been at our place. Fuck. I hate travelling to Wills.

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Went out & caught one of the few games on yesterday, Blacktown vs Sydney Irish over at Glenwood.

Despite the 52-29 final score, the game was far closer than the score suggested, with Irish having Blacktown in deep trouble for significant periods of the game. Irish were all over the Blacktown at the set piece, particularly at the scrum where they often walked their opposition backwards, even when the Irish were down to a 7 man scrum later in the game. I wouldn't write Blacktown off as home and hosed for the season based off what I saw, if a team can keep blacktown to the middle of the field, there will be chances. Blacktown were however extremely good with any space, particularly on turnover ball, its easy to see how they can put on a lot of points very quickly.

There were a few ugly points in the fixture, particularly as the game wore on. Seems as has been seen in the past, once Irish got a sniff in the second half, Blacktown decided to put the niggle on, both on the field and the sideline, and Irish couldn't manage to keep their composure with it, leading to a red card when their second rower had enough of it (but a punch is a red and everyone knows that by now). Felt that the ref started to lose control towards the end, as the Blacktown niggle continued and and ref didn't do much about it. To his credit, he did order the blacktown "linesman" off the field, who had tried to take over from the Irish official who was doing the job, and had just made a contentious (but correct!) call on a forward pass that disallowed a Blacktown try. If reflects poorly on the club to send a member (badged or not) who had obviously had a few drinks, over to take over linesman duties mid-way through the second half, after a correct call that they disagreed with. He was sent away afterwards, but the damage had been done.

All in all a good game, could have been even better if the teams had just got on with playing rugby.

Hoggies

Bob McCowan (2)
There was a story in todays Gold Coast Bulletin, about Pierre Hola being the marquee recruit for Helensvale Hogs this year. Can't find the story on-line

Can confirm Pierre is at the Helensvale Hogs, as this is my club. He has been given ample $$$ for his services and has spent most his time this year on the injured list

Status
Not open for further replies.