• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Anyone want to give me a market on totals points scored by Waverley on Saturday at home against BOBS across the grades?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I would be taking the 222.5+
Suspect a couple of 3 figure scorelines as the BOBS loyal diehards run out of puff after their 2nd back to back game.

So forfeitng 4ths for the 4th time means BOBS join Newport in withdrawing from that competition.

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would be taking the 222.5+
Suspect a couple of 3 figure scorelines as the BOBS loyal diehards run out of puff after their 2nd back to back game.

So forfeitng 4ths for the 4th time means BOBS join Newport in withdrawing from that competition.

Shame. BOBS not looking great for years to come with Barker Rugby numbers down and also lacking success in recent years. Will they drop down to 3rd division next year, or remain in 2nds for another?

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Shame. BOBS not looking great for years to come with Barker Rugby numbers down and also lacking success in recent years. Will they drop down to 3rd division next year, or remain in 2nds for another?

I don't think we will be given the choice. Beecorft looking very strong and should push up

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That's a bastard, Bob - I know the struggles of numbers.

Having to go up a division hurt us years ago when 20-odd blokes left the club. Belted every week, injuries, blokes stop wanting to front.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
That's a bastard, Bob - I know the struggles of numbers.

Having to go up a division hurt us years ago when 20-odd blokes left the club. Belted every week, injuries, blokes stop wanting to front.

All these things go in cycles. In 2001-2004 we were struggling to hang onto 3rd div status. We had a long term president and a very passionate committee. In 2005 we were pushed up to div 2 after coming second in the club champs to Epping. 2006 we made the first grade GF (Got belted in the wet by Beecroft) and won the club champs and were pushed up to 1st div. 2007 was a tough year playing against the big boys and were pushed back to Div 2 in 2008. 2008 was the magic year winning 1st, 2nd and colts grand finals. 2009 saw us back up and win 1st grade again. 2010 saw us win clubs champs but lose the 1st grade grand final in extra time to Kings. We lasted 2 years in Div 1 , with 2011 being our best year in the top grade. Ever since coming down in 2013 it has been tough, our older premiership players have since moved on and at the moment player numbers are down. ALL old boys clubs are struggling (Pats, Knox, Bobs, Iggies, Kings and Grammar old boys are no more).

I do admire Waverley for their success this year. I think their last year in Div 2 was 2010, and in the past they had been a Kentwell powerhouse. It has taken time but they turned it around. The signs are promising that Bobs will have a better year next year. I won't bore you with the details of this year as I'm in London and only hearing things 3rd hand!

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
That's a hell of a ride! Hope 2017 is a stable one ;)

Good call on Redfield, they are flying the flag for old boys clubs!

I do wonder if subbies will make a call on Newport going down a grade. They have been through this before. I can almost see Div 3 being split into 2 divisions like div 6 was last season!

Redfield Old Boys appear to be doing alright :D

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Good call on Redfield, they are flying the flag for old boys clubs!

I do wonder if subbies will make a call on Newport going down a grade. They have been through this before. I can almost see Div 3 being split into 2 divisions like div 6 was last season!

Tricky.

What would suit us ideally, with the changes I'm planning for the club, is for Fifth Division to reappear. I'm pretty sure we can stick with Three Grades, but a safety net might be nice...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Word is a few clubs may be looking to merge into a 'GPS Old Boys' club next year.

Just a rumour I've heard, not sure how serious discussions have been.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
I wonder where they will play out of. I'd imagine that will be an interesting discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Wow. That would be a hell of a logistical effort - finding a ground as Prodigy says, but also the training aspect.

One of the challenges for a lot of clubs is changing demographic, and players no longer living within cooee of their training facilities, which is often their home ground.

I seem to remember Kings OB having training in Glebe but game day out at the school? Maybe something like that has to be worked out.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Word is a few clubs may be looking to merge into a 'GPS Old Boys' club next year.

Just a rumour I've heard, not sure how serious discussions have been.

I hope it takes off. It is a sad decline for Iggies and KoBs but we need new innovative solutions for the declining player base.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I seem to remember Kings OB having training in Glebe but game day out at the school? Maybe something like that has to be worked out.

Yeah that's what KOBs do.

Location issues are there, for sure. It's probably the biggest obstacle. As I said, no idea how discussions are going (or if they've even happened), but with a few clubs struggling it might be the only solution.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I hope it takes off. It is a sad decline for Iggies and KoBs but we need new innovative solutions for the declining player base.

The player numbers we're seeing are pretty stable, but we have the advantage of being one of those areas where population growth - of people who might play rugby - is OK.

And I'm taking into account the numbers we're going to jettison after the judiciary tonight ;)

I think there is a fair bit of weight in also pointing out the volunteer base issue, for many similar reasons: people have less time to dedicate to a Saturday, and if they're not playing or getting some sort of gratification out of it, then some people won't front up to support in some cases.

Sometimes you get a long-term volunteer who has had enough and no-one has been there to take over - that is one big planning thing a lot of clubs miss as they just try to get teams on the field.

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
A small part of Waverley's success I believe, is attributed to their club going back to its roots and generating player interest right out of school. Over the past 3 years they have had increased Old Boys playing in their colts side, with upwards of 30 players looking for a game each week in this team.

Are the other Old Boy clubs doing this or have they gone away from their traditional breeding ground so to speak? Even just acquiring 5-10 boys straight of out school can be considered a success. The boys who played 1st and 2nd XV will more than likely try and play for a premiership side however targeting 3rd and 4th XV players should be a goal, and this is what Waverley have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.