• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Given we know the final ladders for all the Club Championships and Subbies' desire for 8 team competitions, what do we all think the competition structure will look like next year?
NOTES: Allegedly Subbies will not move anyone up from Division 4 to Division 3.

If they are keen for 8 clubs per division, this is what I'd like to see happen or what I think will happen (most of my working out here is based on Club Championship standings).

DIVISION 5: Burraneer (grade + colts), Macquarie Uni, Lane Cove (grade + colts), Menai, Roseville, Engadine, Maccabi, Manly Savers
DIVISION 6: Macarthur Crusaders, ICMS, Collaroy, Terrey Hills, Wakehurst, Dee Why, Chatswood, Alexandria Dukes.

Regarding Div 5/6 for 2017 - Menai, Engadine, Maccabi and Manly would be very lucky to be able to get player numbers up enough to play with 2 teams consistently each week. Menai have a strong team and with some decent recruiting they might be able to get the numbers. Engadine is in the same boat. Maccabi is up and down depending on which year the Maccabiah Games are on, I think next year is an off year for it which means they playing stocks are hurt. Manly would seriously struggle to get enough players, top blokes but struggle recruiting wise with the Marlins and ICMS in the same catchment area.

Macarthur would be probably the main candidate to go up to Div 5 (upwards of 25 players for a home game mid season) with Burraneer, Lane Cove and Roseville possibly being able to muster the numbers to put out a 2nd XV. Add to that Convicts coming back into the fold and the strong possibility that Rouse Hill will drop down and Div 5 looks as such - Mac U, Lane Cove, Macarthur, Burraneer, Roseville, Convicts, Rouse Hill.

Div 6 would probably look like - Manly, Engadine, Menai, Maccabi, ICMS, Collaroy, Terrey Hills, Wakehurst, Dee Why, Chatswood, Dukes (plus any new club that joins Subbies).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fucking hell. That would spread Division 5 out to the four corners of Sydney!

Northwest = Renegades
Southwest = Crusaders
Southeast = Burraneer
Northeast = Roseville

Lane Cove, Mac Uni, Convicts falling in that area. Would like another team to join to make it even numbers. Bye weekends fucking suck.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Briars haven't filled in either 2s or 3s for a SEMIFINAL where one grades is still in the hunt! Neither have Canterbury 3rd Grade.

Have Subbies collected that money?

Here we are on Thursday morning, and yet again, Briars and Canterbury fail to fill their teamsheets.

Another $200 gone begging.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Also welcome back to the fold Seagull Butler. Incumbent captain from Hunters Hill and fellow forum member. There was rumours he was out for the year but he was seen on the team sheet in the last game. Just in time for the big dance.

It's always nice to be noticed - rumours were true for a while as I dislocated my elbow - against Blue Mountains at Lapstone incidentally. Big shout out to my physio Kyle at Function Physio in Gladesville for getting me back on the field this year!

Lydian Lion

Frank Row (1)
Hunters coach and former West Harbour coach Rayne Simpson has a reputation as being an outstanding coach and I am sure he will not leave any stones unturned. He and his crew were even seen videoing the Blue Mountains Vs Waverley game last weekend. Let's see what game plan they come up with.

Wow is this the same Rayne Simpson crew that took West Harbour Colts to the bottom 4 in the Colts, missing out on the top 8 semi finals???

Big 8

Bob McCowan (2)
Our thoughts and condolences go out to Balmain Rugby and the family of player Holoua Tonga who was taken away suddenly mid week. Rest in peace our brother, we are certain that the great memories will live forever. I can speak on behalf of all of the Suburban Rugby family, we say be at peace Holoua!

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hunters coach and former West Harbour coach Rayne Simpson has a reputation as being an outstanding coach and I am sure he will not leave any stones unturned. He and his crew were even seen videoing the Blue Mountains Vs Waverley game last weekend. Let's see what game plan they come up with.

As chance would have it I played in the first team Rayne coached in Melbourne way back when (I can't remember exactly). Third Grade for the mighty Power House.

He was a great coach then, and went from 3rd Grade to Assistant 1st Grade Coach.

What I remember I played in a position was that he was very reliable. As a player you knew where you stood.

That was a long time ago, and assuming he hasn't changed I'm guessing he'll get the best out of his players.

ANSI

Frank Row (1)
Another big day out at TG Millner for the Div 2 GFs.

4th grade- Really defensive game, both teams testing each other out without many inroads able to be made. One lapse from waverley and hills score, waverley managed to get a penalty but hills defence was outstanding, particularly in 2nd half. Controversial moment at the end, where after full time siren waverley on attack passed the ball into the ref, and the game was finished on this note, much to the anger of waverley. Unfortunate, but not deliberate, not much the ref could do.

3s- Waverley got the ascendancy early and never really took the foot off the throat, hills tried their best but just wasnt their day, had the opportunities, but just couldnt capitalize. Congrats to waverley on an undefeated season, they were very strong across the park.

Colts- cracker of a game here. Hills started really well getting to 14-0 before newport responded with a try. Pretty even half for the most part, but a few breakout tries pushed hills out to 28-7, before hills kicked it out near their end, thinking it was halftime. It wasnt, and from the lineout newport were able to spread the ball and get over in the corner, making it 28-12 at half time. 2nd hald was all newport, getting it to 28-22 before hills resp9nded again, making it 31-22. Newport took control again from here, taking the lead with less than 10 to go 34-31. Hills tried their best but were well off their game by this stage, did manage to get on opportunity with a break down the left side, then swing it right, only for their winger to lose it over the line, could have argued there were a few penalty offences by newport in that phase, but missed. A few minutes of outstanding defence from newport and hills couldnt break through and that was it. Great comeback by newport, sad outcome for hills who had been the best team all year.

2s- probably the worst game of the day, never really got to any heights, seemed that forest might have played their GF last week. Waverley werent able to put them away though, making it a tense struggle for the most part. 9/10 appeared off their game for forest, making it difficult for them to build their attack. To their credit they kept trying and got on the board at the end. Waverley best served by their forward pack.

1s- left at half time in this one, but looked a really even game. Mountains were pressing early, but only got a penalty, hunters able to get down there and get a converted try. Few yellow cards in there making it quite an open attacking game. Bit of controversy where hunters hill prop came over the top in a tackle with a swinging arm to jaw of mountains 8. The yellow left them down to 13 men for a period but i was amazed it was only that, as it was a deliberate attempt to hurt a player after the tackle had been affected, should have been red in my opinion and may have changed the end outcome, as hunters were on roller skates without him. BM took advantage, and managed to get to 18-7 at halftime.
Can someone enlighten on what happened in the 2nd half???

fkj

Chris McKivat (8)
Another big day out at TG Millner for the Div 2 GFs.

4th grade- Really defensive game, both teams testing each other out without many inroads able to be made. One lapse from waverley and hills score, waverley managed to get a penalty but hills defence was outstanding, particularly in 2nd half. Controversial moment at the end, where after full time siren waverley on attack passed the ball into the ref, and the game was finished on this note, much to the anger of waverley. Unfortunate, but not deliberate, not much the ref could do.

3s- Waverley got the ascendancy early and never really took the foot off the throat, hills tried their best but just wasnt their day, had the opportunities, but just couldnt capitalize. Congrats to waverley on an undefeated season, they were very strong across the park.

Colts- cracker of a game here. Hills started really well getting to 14-0 before newport responded with a try. Pretty even half for the most part, but a few breakout tries pushed hills out to 28-7, before hills kicked it out near their end, thinking it was halftime. It wasnt, and from the lineout newport were able to spread the ball and get over in the corner, making it 28-12 at half time. 2nd hald was all newport, getting it to 28-22 before hills resp9nded again, making it 31-22. Newport took control again from here, taking the lead with less than 10 to go 34-31. Hills tried their best but were well off their game by this stage, did manage to get on opportunity with a break down the left side, then swing it right, only for their winger to lose it over the line, could have argued there were a few penalty offences by newport in that phase, but missed. A few minutes of outstanding defence from newport and hills couldnt break through and that was it. Great comeback by newport, sad outcome for hills who had been the best team all year.

2s- probably the worst game of the day, never really got to any heights, seemed that forest might have played their GF last week. Waverley werent able to put them away though, making it a tense struggle for the most part. 9/10 appeared off their game for forest, making it difficult for them to build their attack. To their credit they kept trying and got on the board at the end. Waverley best served by their forward pack.

1s- left at half time in this one, but looked a really even game. Mountains were pressing early, but only got a penalty, hunters able to get down there and get a converted try. Few yellow cards in there making it quite an open attacking game. Bit of controversy where hunters hill prop came over the top in a tackle with a swinging arm to jaw of mountains 8. The yellow left them down to 13 men for a period but i was amazed it was only that, as it was a deliberate attempt to hurt a player after the tackle had been affected, should have been red in my opinion and may have changed the end outcome, as hunters were on roller skates without him. BM took advantage, and managed to get to 18-7 at halftime.
Can someone enlighten on what happened in the 2nd half???
Have to agree about the comment for the 1s game, definite red card...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
Which is bullshit, because they're meant to be the best referees available, and should treat it like any other game.
Yeah "meant to be". I don't have the stats or data to confirm this, but my opinion is that they seemed to go to the exact opposite of what people often bitch about in Subbies (i.e. ref wanted to be the star, overbearing), and instead they seemed to let repeated obvious infringements go unpunished.

In the second grade grand final there was quite a bit of off-the-ball stuff going on between the Waverley and Forest forwards. On more that occasion the ref seemed to see it, actually lifted his arm, but then put it back down, didn't blow the whistle, and play continued.

Also the aforementioned yellow card in 1s. Clearly should have been red.

Status
Not open for further replies.