• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 2 R4 Tips

With the draw swapping over Hills v Blue Mountains and St Pats v Forest shaping up as two very interesting clashes!

Hills v Blue Mountains- Hills to continue their winning ways with a win at Yattenden. Will be their toughest game yet sneaking home by 2.
UNSW v Beecroft- Beecroft's slow start to continue (could be a long year for them). UNSW by 10.
St Pats v Forest- St Pats back at home after two weeks on the road and I'm expecting the big boys up front to stifle Forest in a close one, Pats by 5.
Epping v Lindfield- Lindfield to bounce back strong after a disappointing result on Back to Lindfield day with a better performance against the Rams. With no great confidence or method as Epping the only side I haven't seen this year, Lindfield by 5.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 4 Tips:

Oatley v Canterbury - not too far to travel for the Berries, but they didn't really dominate Mac Uni last week the way I expected them to, and haven't exactly started the season with a bang. Oatley DID smack the Beacons the week before, and have had the Bye to rest any niggles.

Mac Uni v Sydney Irish - the Irish look menacing this year. Dropped Third grade at Blacktown in Round 2 (by 5 points), but have taken everyone else apart. Can't see the Beacons troubling.

Sydney Harlequins v Briars - going to be a tough year for Briars. They've got numbers but are stuck in a division where there are some very powerful opponents. Can't help but think this divisional structure doesn't really help them, and with Quins also playing Halligan Cup this weekend, they should have too much across all the Grades.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 5 Tips:

Merrylands v Alexandria Dukes - I feel sorry for the boys from Botany, having seen what Merrylands put on the park last week. They might have struggled at Savers in Round 2, but they brought absolutely everything against us. It'll be a thrashing

Manly Savers v Maccabi - could be a good game to watch. Two fit teams, two clubs in a bit of a lull, and some execution and skill out there. Gotta tip the home side though.

Rouse Hill v Lane Cove - Covies look fit, fast, and well drilled. Got a few Colts coming through but, having dropped our Seconds, we're putting it all on the line to win at home after a couple of weeks getting smacked by the two biggest teams in the comp. Your correspondent is likely to play the entire game at prop, so that's a negative to the all-navy Renegades.

Sydney Convicts v Menai - this will be the clash of the round. Convicts sit atop the table with an average winning score of 33 points. I think they've got the technical game to stop Menai's offload bash n barge, and apparently the Warriors don't travel too well. If Menai don't do something about their scrum quick smart, things are going to get real for them at set piece in a hurry.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 6 tips:

Collaroy v Engadine - its hard to judge Collaroy's form: they beat up on Chatswood (who won 88-10 last week) and Dundas Valley (who were on the end of that thrashing) but got lightly hammered at home by the Sea Lice last week. Engadine will be stinging from last week's thrashing at Wakehurst, and will look to travel back to the beaches for redemption.

Burraneer v Chatswood - love the pluck of the Stags and their 300-game veteran, but travelling to the Shire is tough enough without coming up against a team running second.

Dundas Valley v Dee Why - Dundas looked pretty fragile in preseason, though they're a good bunch of lads. They've forfeited Round 1, not filled in a team sheet, and that indicates they're not travelling well, or playing at home well. This could be the last hurrah and Dee Why will be looking to distance themselves from the foot of the table with a big win. Much needed after it was reported in preseason that they were goneski.

North Cronulla v Wakehurst - the Sea Lice are back! And they're kicking a fair amount of arse after the forfeit against them in Round 1. If Dundas had NOT forfeited, the points differential for North Cronulla would be better than the 30 per game they have.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
DIV 1
PETERSHAM vs Mosman -This would have to be the game of the entire competition for mine. This should be an absolute cracker this is going to be close one going down to the wire. ill back the defending premiers Petersham
WAVERLEY vs Hunters – Hunters will be breathing a little easier this week after playing the 2 top dogs. whilst this week will be a lot closer cant see them knocking off Waverley
Knobs vs DRUMMOYNE – Should be another good game, im going to go Drummoyne in this one purely as they will be looking to get off the duck egg this season
Balmain vs COLLEAGUES – Backing Colleagues to come over the top late in this affair it may appear a bit of a blow out in the end but will close for 60 minutes

DIV 2
HILLS vs Mountains – Its been noted in a few already but this is a big chance to prove who is the real deal in this competition Hills are 3 from 3 Mountains 2 From 3, these are always tough clashes. Ill say Hills here in a close one
UNSW vs Beecroft – Geez what a scrappy game this could be, 2 teams not off to fantastic starts but will back UNSW to take this one with Beecroft likely to take lower grades
St Pats vs FOREST – Another good clash this one again to prove who are serious, be a battle of the packs and I think Forest have proven that they have got the pack to match it with anyone going on early performances
EPPING vs Lindfield – Epping to come out and send a statement here against a Lindfield side that by all accounts looked out of sorts last week and Epping were well and truly in the game against Mountains under lights . Epping by 15+

DIV 3
NEWPORT vs St Ives –Newport will be pumped on their big day and will really enjoy being back at home after the last 2 weeks on the road.
REDFIELD vs Iggies – Redfield look the goods knocking off HAC last week, Iggies will be looking for redemption but not sure it will be coming this week. Redfield by 14
Brothers vs VALLEY – Valley to take this one out, will be a tough old game but the smaller size field at Roseville Chase will suit the big aging pack of Hawkesbury
HAC vs BOBs – Ill go out on a limb here and say BOBS will sneak home in this one. HAC will be filthy they lost last week and being back at home it may be tough but I need an upset for the week and im hoping this will be it

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Division 6 tips:

North Cronulla v Wakehurst - the Sea Lice are back! And they're kicking a fair amount of arse after the forfeit against them in Round 1. If Dundas had NOT forfeited, the points differential for North Cronulla would be better than the 30 per game they have.

I was at Forshaw Park a few weeks ago when the NC sea lice played a 'friendly' against the Southern Districts 4th grade team (that was the day when Dundas Valley forfeited the round 1 match at the same venue)

The young lads really gave it to the SD 4th graders - admittedly the SD 4ths had already played a game against Penrith (winning around 80 or so to blot), and it was a stinking hot day as well. I think the score was about 30 - 10; they are mostly ex-juniors out of Burraneer the sea lice.

My tip is these young lads will take out the Meldrum Cup this season; they are young, skilled and there are plenty of them (one of the coaches said that they have about 40 players on the books, but due to various surf life saving commitments (i.e. - competitions) they all are not available on Saturdays.

I foresee alot of success this year for the North Cronulla Sea Lice, and good on them too...

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
DIV 1
PETERSHAM vs Mosman -This would have to be the game of the entire competition for mine. This should be an absolute cracker this is going to be close one going down to the wire. ill back the defending premiers Petersham

I was a keen observer at Rawson Park last Saturday when Mosman played at home to Waverley; here are a few observations from some of the key games on the day:

Colts:
The biggest difference between the two teams was the size of the Mosman Colts players; they are a BIG team, and across all positions as well. They were super fit, and when attacking Mosman found plenty of holes or just motored through poor Waverley defence. What was interesting to see too was that during these breakouts by Mosman, there were plenty of supporting players near the attackers as well. I think the score was 70+ to 0, but could have been more on the day if Mosman did not take the foot off the pedal. (I thought I saw one Mosman colt wearing a Riverview rugby training shirt before the game, so there might be a hint...) I am not sure which other Colts teams are going to match them for size and skill...

Burke:
There were a few players in Mosmans 2nds that could easily slot into other clubs Kentwell Cup teams; a very fit team, and the scoreline was a good indicator of the difference between the two teams (a win by 20+)

Kentwell:
The scoreline was 17 - 14, but Mosman were way more dominant than that score. In the second half the Mosman scrum absolutely creaked the Waverley scrum on numerous occasions (and got penalised too - incorrectly I thought - by the young ref on the day) .
Once again, the size difference between the 2 x teams was very noticeable. I don't know much about the Petersham Kentwell Cup team this year, but they will need to play at their best to beat this Mosman team tomorrow.

En Gage

Frank Nicholson (4)
DIV 2
Hills vs BLUEYS – Blueys seem to be running into a bit of form and should take the chocolates.
Uni vs BEECROFT– A lottery, but some class in the Croft should see them get up.
ST PATS vs Forest – St Pats Big Boppers who should be running into some match fitness to surprise the Forest boys
EPPING vs Lindfield – The rams backline seems to be building to something big.

DIV 3
NEWPORT vs St Ives –Breakers at home are always hard to beat.
REDFIELD vs Iggies – Redfield to run rings around a hapless Iggies.
BROTHERS vs Valley – Brothers backline and a long road trip should put paid to any chance Valley have.
HAC vs BOBs – HAC to bully BOB's out of the contest.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Collaroy v Engadine

I just heard through the grapevine that Engadine have forfeited?

Dundas on the edge. Second Grade forfeiting at Rouse Hill and Alexandria Dukes. Some utter thrashings in the higher divisions in among the competitive rugby, and less referees available each week (tho the forfeits can help with that in the short term).

You wouldn't say Subbies is in rude health right now across the board.

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Really? Given how well Burraneer are also travelling in Meldrum Cup, its a shame the resources weren't retained at one club in order to make a Fifth Division side.

Not sure why there isn't a connection there - hopefully someone with more info/ knowledge can she some light on that...

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Harold Watkins Cup v BOBS Tomorrow at HAC. Named in honour of the first HAC player killed at Gallipoli. HAC jerseys in 2018 are also inscribed with the names of the 136 HAC men who fell in WW1. Gonna be a great occasion!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1524828100311.jpg
    FB_IMG_1524828100311.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 173

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
I was a keen observer at Rawson Park last Saturday when Mosman played at home to Waverley; here are a few observations from some of the key games on the day:

Colts:
The biggest difference between the two teams was the size of the Mosman Colts players; they are a BIG team, and across all positions as well. They were super fit, and when attacking Mosman found plenty of holes or just motored through poor Waverley defence. What was interesting to see too was that during these breakouts by Mosman, there were plenty of supporting players near the attackers as well. I think the score was 70+ to 0, but could have been more on the day if Mosman did not take the foot off the pedal. (I thought I saw one Mosman colt wearing a Riverview rugby training shirt before the game, so there might be a hint.) I am not sure which other Colts teams are going to match them for size and skill.

Burke:
There were a few players in Mosmans 2nds that could easily slot into other clubs Kentwell Cup teams; a very fit team, and the scoreline was a good indicator of the difference between the two teams (a win by 20+)

Kentwell:
The scoreline was 17 - 14, but Mosman were way more dominant than that score. In the second half the Mosman scrum absolutely creaked the Waverley scrum on numerous occasions (and got penalised too - incorrectly I thought - by the young ref on the day) .
Once again, the size difference between the 2 x teams was very noticeable. I don't know much about the Petersham Kentwell Cup team this year, but they will need to play at their best to beat this Mosman team tomorrow.

I think it would be quite an upset if Mosman were to beat Petersham. I think Petersham put 50 on them last time they met?Naturally teams can change from one year to the next but a 3 point victory over Waverley doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Still I'm nearly always wrong about everything (ask my wife).

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Not sure why there isn't a connection there - hopefully someone with more info/ knowledge can she some light on that.

I would’ve considered the sea lice more of an ex-southern districts juniors side rather than just burra. It’s essentailly an extra Souths team that doesn’t want the commitment and intensity of Shute rugby

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
I just heard through the grapevine that Engadine have forfeited?

Dundas on the edge. Second Grade forfeiting at Rouse Hill and Alexandria Dukes. Some utter thrashings in the higher divisions in among the competitive rugby, and less referees available each week (tho the forfeits can help with that in the short term).

You wouldn't say Subbies is in rude health right now across the board.

We're sweet, got 10 guys out for a number of reasons.

Bye week next week and we'll start our run to the finals.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
6th DIV
Farken hell North Cronulla smash Wakehurst 90-blot
Dundas put 27 on Dee Why but conceded 53
Burraneer up 38-zip over Chatswood

5th DIV
Merrylands 109-zip over Dukes. Ow
Savers 32-6 over Maccabi
We lost to Covies who just had too much pace and discipline 19-29
Convicts can't hold Menai despite a 3-1 Yellow Card count, going down 15-26

4th DIV
Oatley lose 24-27 to Canterbury
Mac Uni down 7-38 to Irish
Harlequins losing 17-31 to Briars is probably the shock for me.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
10/12 last week

DIV 1
PETERSHAM vs Mosman - In what is one of the games of the round the Shammies at home to have more firepower. Petersham by 14
WAVERLEY vs Hunters – The draw has done Hunters Hill no favours with first up floggings by competition heavyweights Mosman and Petersham. They face a step down in class this weekend but think Waverley will comfortably have their measure. Waves by 18
KNOBS vs Drummoyne – The old boys to strong for the Dirty Reds at Barra Brui. KNOBs by 12
Balmain vs COLLEAGUES – This will be a compettive affair but think the boys from the east will come home the stronger to sneak a slim victory over the muzzled wloves.

DIV 2
HILLS vs Mountains – HILLs have a chance to prove they are the real deal with a win over the big boys from the foot of the mountians. HILLs by 7 in a bruising encounter.
UNSW vs Beecroft – UNSW to strong for travel weary Beecroft. Students by 12
ST PATs vs Forest – Upset of the round with Forest struggling to contain the big boppers from Strathfield. Pats by 7
EPPING vs Lindfield – the RAMS back at home will just sneak over a competitive Lindfield by 3

DIV 3
NEWPORT vs St Ives – Breakers happy to be home off the back to back Hawkesbury tour and will be fired up for their annual Mo day clash. Saints will give their all but Newport to strong in the end. Breakers by 10
REDFIELD vs Iggies – after 1st up victories against struggling Saints and Brothers, Iggies were humilated at home last week, REDFIELD pose a similar threat, effective forward pack providing enough ball to a very sharp backline. Redflield by 20
BROTHERS vs Hawkesbury Valley – BROTHERS by 14 against a sizeable but ageing Hawkesbury.
HAC vs Bobs – Game of the season thus far, two red hot backlines face off but think HAC will have dominance in the forwards and see them up by 5.

7/12. Suprise results of the weekend were Hills getting pumped by Mountains. Balmain beating Colleagues Didn’t see that one coming.
Look like the match of the round lived up to its billing. HAC lead 10-0. Barkers then piled on the points to fight back 26-10 before HAC responses to lead 29-26 with a late BOBs penalty to draw the game.

See Saints and Brothers both filled 3rd grade sides this week. Proud clubs, hope they can sustain it.

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Managed to catch Brothers vs Hawkesbury Valley. Valley come out of the blocks hard but in The end Brothers had more impact off the bench that Valley couldn’t match and ran them down. An interesting and tight game but not of the same quality I have seen this year. Brothers seem to rely on a few big boopers to create and offload. Brothers best was probably the #7 whilst Valley #5 did a lot of work.

Some interesting results around the grounds. Any match reports?

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
6th DIV
Farken hell North Cronulla smash Wakehurst 90-blot

Looking at the Fusesport app just now, one of the Wakehurst lads was given a YC for dissent mid-way through the match (that wouldn't have helped their cause!)

Next week the Sea Lice face unbeaten Burraneer - top of the table clash as they are both 4 - 0. Should be a cracker of a match!

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Great day out at HAC V BOBS. Bob's in every grade were very well drilled & disciplined. BOB'S got the win in 3rds & were outstanding in Colts. HAC 2s remain undefeated but it was very tight with HAC scoring in the last minute too get the win. In 1sts HAC jumped out of the box to lead 10 - 0 before BOBS returned fire to lead 26 - 10. HAC woke up in the second 1/2 & led 29 - 26 before 2 late penalties saw BOBS get in position to kick the equalizing penalty. Going to be interesting who of the top 1st Grade teams developes the best forward pack as the backlines at HAC, BOBS & Redfield all look very good. BOBS were outstanding at speeches & a pleasure to host.

Status
Not open for further replies.