• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Missed the Irish result. A bit shocked actually as Irish lost 4 Grades today.

100%, though it was a pretty easy round to call. Next week will be much tougher with Maccabi v Renegades, Covies v Savers, and Convicts v Merrylands.

100% here, tho some of those results were closer than I expected - Chatswood going down by 1 to Wakehurst, and the Sea Lice pipping Burraneer by the same margin.

Chatswood were well ahead at one stage too. I can't remember the score, but I was shocked when I saw Wakehurst had won.

The Real Big Bopper

Allen Oxlade (6)
This div 2 comp is tight.... just need to work out a way to win against these experienced teams.

Also, think St Pat's need to get some salt and magnesium into their diet. Lots of "cramps" in the 2nd half

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Results in Div3 look to have gone to script. Brothers look to be in trouble but hopefully can hang tough. Any match reports?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What happened with the ref? What specifically was the issue here?

Before I continue, let me reiterate that the ref was not the deciding factor in victory - Convicts were too fit and well-trained for our guys.

And that was harsh language on my part, but it was just a very frustrating game to watch in First Grade.

The rucks were an utter mess, with the opposition employing the following tactics:
- driving in off their feet and diving on the ball at our ankles.
- binding on the side of the ruck and driving crossways to clear the ball, well outside the gate. Not called.
- lying on the floor and playing with the ball multiple times, no warnings and rarely even any penalties.
- in one case the opposition fell on the wrong side, found the ball between his ankles, and kicked it back - that is a straight yellow card for about three different offences and professional foul.

Scrums:
- A scrum turned through 90 on the spot, with no reset, on our feed.
- Halfback was standing offside all day, taking our scrumhalf's BACK arm. No penalty or even warning.

Our coach is a pretty patient man and usually doesn't take issue with the ref, knowing that our players need to be fitter and more disciplined. But we'd just get a roll on and have a guy chuck himself bodily into the ruck - plane landing - and often with no sanction.

He was grinding his teeth and said he'd never seen anything like that in either age grade or senior rugby. The most galling part is we'd get called at a ruck for something they'd just done.

There is "playing to the ref" and then there is what we saw. And its not an easy job I'll admit, but surely there is a refresher course for refs every year where they get up to speed on the latest interpretations? The coaches are required to do them after all.

The scrum through 90 (whip wheel) and coming around the corner of the ruck are fresh this year, so should be at the forefront.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
The standard of refereeing diverges whenever you introduce new laws. The downfall of our game is that we expect referees to interpret those laws in a consistent fashion when that’s not possible as human beings.
So far this season I’ve seen a player red carded for a hit across the chest, nipple high. I’ve seen multiple yellow cards for great hits where the tackled player has bounced straight up and slapped the tackler on the back saying great hit.
I’ve seen players blue carded that have left everyone on the field scratching their head as to why. On the other side I’ve seen coat hanger head highs gone unchecked or just issued a penalty, I’ve seen bleeding clearly concussed players allowed to play on
after being down for 3 or 4 minutes for treatment. This isn’t a ref bashing exercise, they are human and interpret information differently against their understanding of the rules. It’s a lucky dip as to which ref you get and hopefully over the course of the season you get a balance between the overzealous yellow carder and the one that likes the game to flow in a controlled fashion.

Funny

Stan Wickham (3)
Results in Div3 look to have gone to script. Brothers look to be in trouble but hopefully can hang tough. Any match reports?

Brother only had 30-35 players including colts and most if not all of the colts went home straight after their game.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Brother only had 30-35 players including colts and most if not all of the colts went home straight after their game.

They know if they hang around they will be asked to play two more games which is unsustainable.

Having zero visibility of internal workings in that club (who knows they might have had 15 players away at a wedding) it might be time to bite the bullet and just play 1s and colts from here on in. Better to try and control your descent to a lower division than see it go beyond repair and disintegrate around you (think Kings Old Boys).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Brothers had an issue last year, no? Surely the better answer is to drop to 4th Division, play their Colts as Third Grade, and get a roll back on from there.

Kings looked to have shot themselves in the foot through the head by insisting on staying on in 3rd Division well past their use-by. Its a real shame.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Meanwhile we've organised the trip to Maccabi this week to include a Halligan Cup run to ensure everyone gets game time.

Haven't the players gone quiet :rolleyes: They don't understand the need to put the bus on for a certain number of people, early in the week, so that we GET a bus.

IT IS A FREE BUS FFS!!!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The standard of refereeing diverges whenever you introduce new laws. The downfall of our game is that we expect referees to interpret those laws in a consistent fashion when that’s not possible as human beings.

Yes, but off your feet is still off your feet.
The gate is still the gate, now you just need to remember tackler can't go from anywhere.
The scrum reset was introduced last year and is easy enough to remember.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Big day on Saturday down at Turramurra as Bobs take on the breakers. Its our ladies day so there should be a good crowd!

Top of the table clash in 3's and colts (Both teams undefeated in colts) and two's should be tight with the breakers pushing for a top 4 spot. One's is always a tough game against the breakers. Looking forward to it already!

Of the other games, it will be interesting to see How HV go at home to Iggies. HV have had two tough weeks on the road. They are always tough at home.

The other interesting one is brothers at home to Redfield. Redfield flying high at the top of the table and undefeated. It will be interesting to see how they go on the trip to Roseville. A good rematch after brothers knocked them out of the top 4 in the final round last year. I bet Redfield will be up for a bit of revenge!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Welp. So much for trying to organise Halligan Cup at Rose Bay.

Bunch of blokes can't show up. Old Boys Day didn't bring enough into the fold. Don't know why I fucking bother.

Now I probably have to start First Grade as we've got 1 injured and 2 absent from front row duties. Someone else is washing the jerseys, running the flag, and doing the scoring this week by the looks.

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am looking forward to watching the Epping vs UNSW clash this weekend at Sommerville Oval; both clubs are evenly poised for most of the grades, so the rugby will be interesting to watch; I will provide a match report after the game for you all

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Div. 1
Hunters Hill v COLLEAGUES- Unfortunately I don't feel the pain stopping anytime soon for the men from Boronia. Although they are improving each week they don't seem to be anywhere near the level they were last year in Div. 2. Colleagues by 25
PETERSHAM v Knox- Petersham way to good in this one. Last week they had a man less for majority of the game and still managed to out play a strong Colleagues side ( in Fairness did lose some key players thanks to the Blue Card System) Petersham by 25+
Drummoyne v MOSMAN- The Whales will have too much upfront in this one, Drummoyne are staying in games every week and will hang in for a long period of this game. Mosman by 8
Balmain v WAVERLEY- Both Sides are much improved from last year and feel the men from Bondi will just have the edge here in the Div. 1 game of the Round for mine. Waves by 4

Div. 2
BEECROFT v Lindfield- I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Beecroft to open their account for season 2018. They seemed to find away to lead for periods of the game v Hills last week. Whilst Lindfield at home lost to Forest after again a promising start but failing to finish off the game. Beecroft in a close one at home
BLUE MOUNTAINS v St Pats- this will be a battle between the packs. St Pats having a very strong scrum and gigantic men and Mountains who know their structures very well with Gigantic Men as well. Pats will hope to keep it tight and hope Danny Kroll and Gav Duncan of Mountains don't begin to dictate for the home side. Ill go Mountains by 5 thanks to their backs
EPPING v Unsw- Another very intriguing game in Div. 2 this week. UNSW will be very confident after travel up to Lapstone and knocking off Mountains whilst Epping have been there or thereabouts in every game this season and look as though if they are given the opportunity will close out a win very soon. I'm going to back Epping here by 9 based off a young fit forward pack and UNSW may be a touch battled and bruised and travel weary after travelling to the mountains
Forest v HILLS- Hard to go past a top of the table clash for Match of the Round in Div. 2. Forest are 5 from 5 and haven't looked phased in their season so far. Hills were smashed v Mountains but bounced back last week. Its the Best Attack Hills v the Best Defence Forest in what should be a cracker. Ill go back Hills here with too much attacking flair for the men from Forest

Div. 3
Valley v IGGIES- Iggies are underperforming this year. Valley are back at home after 2 weeks on the road but don't think that is going to help them. Iggies by 15+
Brothers v REDFIELD- Look out can see a cricket score here across all grades. Redfield by Plenty!!!
BOBS v Newport- Newport are improving week to week but BOBs are proving in a milestone year that they are a team to beat across all grades. BOBS by 25
HAC v St Ives- Another Cricket score on the cards here HAC by Plenty

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div 1
Drumoyne – Mosman: Dirty reds will be in this for much of the game but the Whales to finish the stronger.
Balmain – Waverley: Going to go with the boys from the east but will be a closely fought nailbiter.
Petersham – Knox: Knobs had a good contested training run last start but cannot see anything other than a Shammies thumping.
Hunters Hill vs Colleagues: The yuppies got belted by Petersham last start and will be minus Dan Kelly. Even with him missing I’ll go the tossers by 30+

Div 2
Forest – Hills: MOTR 1 vs 2 Forest is riding high at present and will go into this full of confidence. A brusing encounter awaits in front of a big home crowd. Despite this I’m going to go the upset as I have a feeling Hills might just..just get over the line.
Beecroft – Lindfield: Old soldier pushed Forest all the way last week and walked away dissappointed. Think Beecroft at home may just get over a frustrated Lindfield.
Mountains – St Pats: Mountains form is inconsistant so Im going to go with the travellers here by 10
Epping – UNSW: based on last start form will have to take UNSW in this tussle but expect it to be narrow.

Div 3
BOBS – Newport: Barker are on fire and expect that to continue for their ladies day. Im hearing Div 2 planning has begun at Turramurra.
Brothers – Redfield: Lets just hope no one gets hurt. Redfield by 40+
Hawkesbury Valley – Iggies: Word is Iggies were lucky to get over a shakey Breakers outfit but can see them gaining a confidence building victory against the big boppers. (assuming they travel)
HAC – St ives: Saints legend Logan Harding is giving his all and moral despite the results looks pretty high so be gentle with them HAC.

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 1
Drumoyne – Mosman: Dirty reds will be in this for much of the game but the Whales to finish the stronger.
Balmain – Waverley: Going to go with the boys from the east but will be a closely fought nailbiter.
Petersham – Knox: Knobs had a good contested training run last start but cannot see anything other than a Shammies thumping.
Hunters Hill vs Colleagues: The yuppies got belted by Petersham last start and will be minus Dan Kelly. Even with him missing I’ll go the tossers by 30+

Div 2
Forest – Hills: MOTR 1 vs 2 Forest is riding high at present and will go into this full of confidence. A brusing encounter awaits in front of a big home crowd. Despite this I’m going to go the upset as I have a feeling Hills might just..just get over the line.
Beecroft – Lindfield: Old soldier pushed Forest all the way last week and walked away dissappointed. Think Beecroft at home may just get over a frustrated Lindfield.
Mountains – St Pats: Mountains form is inconsistant so Im going to go with the travellers here by 10
Epping – UNSW: based on last start form will have to take UNSW in this tussle but expect it to be narrow.

Div 3
BOBS – Newport: Barker are on fire and expect that to continue for their ladies day. Im hearing Div 2 planning has begun at Turramurra.
Brothers – Redfield: Lets just hope no one gets hurt. Redfield by 40+
Hawkesbury Valley – Iggies: Word is Iggies were lucky to get over a shakey Breakers outfit but can see them gaining a confidence building victory against the big boppers. (assuming they travel)
HAC – St ives: Saints legend Logan Harding is giving his all and moral despite the results looks pretty high so be gentle with them HAC.

Wait for the annual Europe Purge!

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 3:

BOBS vs Newport: Expect this to be a lot closer than many think and Newport to stick with BOBs for the Majority. BOBS by 12on ladies day.
Brothers vs REDFIELD: Could get ugly. Points galore for ROBS. 50+
Valley vs IGGIES: Closest match of the round. An underperforming Iggies to find their straps and get over the line against a physical Valley back at home. Iggies by 8
HAC vs St Ives: Throw in the towel....this could get ugly....very very ugly. HAC by 100+

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 4:
  • SYDNEY HARLEQUINS v Macquarie Uni - home side are consistently inconsistent but should have too much for the Beacons.
  • Blacktown v OATLEY - the visitors will be well aware that their First Grade side failed by not getting to the final last year.
  • Briars v CANTERBURY - the Berries found some form against comp leaders Sydney Irish and will look to take that to to Rothwell this weekend.

Div 5:
  • Dukes v MENAI - visitors to romp home
  • Maccabi v RENEGADES - fuck it, we need to win a First Grade game if we're serious about finals. Pfitzy is starting in the #1 jersey - what could go wrong? (don't answer that).
  • LANE COVE v Savers - the mid-table challenge is probably the game of the week. I back the home team (just), but it'll be a great contest between a young team and a slightly older team
  • Convicts v MERRYLANDS - this is a tough one to call as it depends how many of Merrylands' "A" side get there. There will be a Second Grade game so that may cause the Wolves a few personnel issues.

Div 6:
  • Dee Why v NORTH CRONULLA - after a close one last week, the Sea Lice will be on point for a big win
  • BURRANEER v Collaroy - too far to travel for the Cougars against a team in form
  • ENGADINE v Chatswood - another long trip from the north shore, and a predictable result against the 2017 finalists.
  • WAKEHURST v Dundas Valley - the Vikings aren't even filling in players on their scoresheets. Not sure how much longer Subbies can tolerate that.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div 6:
  • Dee Why v NORTH CRONULLA - after a close one last week, the Sea Lice will be on point for a big win
  • BURRANEER v Collaroy - too far to travel for the Cougars against a team in form
  • ENGADINE v Chatswood - another long trip from the north shore, and a predictable result against the 2017 finalists.
  • WAKEHURST v Dundas Valley - the Vikings aren't even filling in players on their scoresheets. Not sure how much longer Subbies can tolerate that.
[/quote]

DIV 6 looks like a geographical nightmare of a comp with 3 Shire vs 3 Northern Beaches with a couple of randoms thrown in the middle. Some ugly travel...yuck

Status
Not open for further replies.