• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
DIV 1Knox vs MOSMAN – Think ill back the men from Mosman this week, they'll be looking to continue after a good win last week v Drummoyne, Knox will be bussing after last week but can they back it up against the other Kentwell heavyweight. Mosman by 4
Drummoyne vs PETERSHAM –The Shammies will be dirty about last week and they will bounce back this weekend against Drummoyne who are getting better every week.
BALMAIN vs Hunters – Hunters best chance this week one feels, not sure how they will go though will be interesting but think Balmain will take out this one. NOTE from last week Old Seagull Butler was Red Carded how many weeks did you get Seagull
Colleagues vs WAVERLEY – Ill Back the boys from Bondi this weekend they are getting closer and closer to that big win and feel this week they will do so

DIV 2
UNSW vs Forest: Agree with HeavyD have done the same back against and they have won. I think the giant killers UNSW who have sparked to life since being belted back in round 2 will win this one at Daceyville in a close one
Lindfield vs MOUNTAINS: Lindfield's young side I don't think will be able to match the Size of the Mountains pack and the class of some of Blueys backline. Mountains by 15+
ST PATS vs Beecroft: Pats forward will be too strong here for the men in Green. They have showed signs of life though in 1s and again if they are given a sniff they will take a mile. Pats by 12
HILLS vs Epping: Match of the Round for mine, 2 clubs that are very similar and have a long history playing against each other in division 3. Epping have been there or thereabouts every week and Hills have showed they can attack but have lost the big games so far this year. Feel it will be a back and forth high scoring affair with Hills Getting over the line

DIV 3
NEWPORT vs Brothers: saw a post on Penrith Emus page that a few boys had gone across to Brothers to play, Its a bit of the unknown with them but think ill go with Newport home round advantage and not sure how brothers will travel
REDFIELD vs BOBS: This is very interesting this one, 2 very evenly matched teams with a lot of confidence under their belt. There wont be much in this could another draw be on the cards??? ill back Redfield at home not going to sit on the fence
VALLEY vs St Ives: Poor old St Ives they wont be belted like last week v HAC but not sure they can salvage a win even though it will be a lot closer. Valley by 15
Old Ignations vs HAC: HAC will take this one out against the underperforming Iggies side. Hac have a few faces back from last years successful Barraclough cup triumph and tomorrow they should come home with the W very comfortably

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
DIV 3
NEWPORT vs Brothers: saw a post on Penrith Emus page that a few boys had gone across to Brothers to play, Its a bit of the unknown with them but think ill go with Newport home round advantage and not sure how brothers will travel

Given the clubs history it would be interesting to understand the rational for former Penrith Emus players to travel 45km and bypass 14 other subbies clubs to play for Brothers.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Given the clubs history it would be interesting to understand the rational for former Penrith Emus players to travel 45km and bypass 14 other subbies clubs to play for Brothers.

I guess there is a bit of head scratching there. Certainly we've not seen any Penrith crew show up, though a couple of our guys have let them know we're still seeking numbers, particularly anyone under the age of 30 who would like to help our First Grade ;)

On the flipside, I rationalise this somewhat by noting the following:

1) Not all the Penrith players live in the area, but certainly lots live WNW of Parramatta

2) The clubs they're playing aren't all a 45 minute drive east. There are still games at McQuade Park and Redfield College, for example.

3) Travel is something Penrith guys are used to. None of the games they've got (besides maybe Newport) are worse than Penrith to Southern or Warringah.

It would raise suspicions if Brothers suddenly got a short in the arm courtesy of an influx of players, and the motives might need to be questioned in light of the amateur status.

Time will tell.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
St Ives may have forfeited colts, but is for a very sad reason. Apparently one of their players passed away (Source Hawkesbury Valley Facebook page). I hope Saints get through the other 3 grades and I hope everyone at St Ives is okay.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
On another note, does anybody know why the Redfield vs BOBs match is at Koola Park this week? Did Redfield get pushed out by school sport? Not a great advantage for the top of the table clash.

whassaname

Bob McCowan (2)
St Ives may have forfeited colts, but is for a very sad reason. Apparently one of their players passed away (Source Hawkesbury Valley Facebook page). I hope Saints get through the other 3 grades and I hope everyone at St Ives is okay.
That's a damn shame, thoughts with the Saints Colts and the club in general. Forest Colts had a minute silence on the weekend for a Colt who passed away earlier this year. So sad hearing this about such young people.

Bernie

Allen Oxlade (6)
MERRYLANDS v Lane Cove - Merrylands at home are impressive, with an average home winning margin of 37. Covies are fit and young so it'll be a fascinating clash, but I don't think the men from Tantallon have quite enough firepower.

Cracking game at Merrylands today. Lane Cove up by 15-0 at half-time. Two quick converted trys to Merrylands after half-time, one converted try to Lane Cove then another converted try to Merrylands followed another convrted try with 2 minutes on the clock left it at 28-22. 3 missed conversions by Lane Cove was the difference in the end.

whassaname

Bob McCowan (2)
UNSW (3) vs Forest (1) at Daceyville will be a cracker. Can Forest get through the first round undefeated? UNSW have been giant killers the last couple of weeks.
We (Forest) made it through first round undefeated. Bonus point vs UNSW
7 from 7. Mountains at Melwood next week will be a great game as they're on a bit of a roll at the moment. Just about every team in Barraclough is capable of beating any other team on their day, so every week is as big as the last. Loving it.

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
Much as I hate to say it the chances of the Shammies going back to back are looking increasingly slim. The Pack has lost it's front row due to injury .They are barely hanging on. Last week the Knox forwards battered the Shammies at the breakdown. Drummoyne destroyed them. Shammies lucky to get a draw. Kentwell is wide open imo.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Very pleased that Bobs won the top of the table clash against Redfield! I certainly thought it would have been closer than it was! We could do with someone beating Mosman in a few of the higher grades!

Not too many shocks across the grades but very pleased for pfitzy and Rouse Hill getting up in first grade!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Cracking game at Merrylands today. Lane Cove up by 15-0 at half-time. Two quick converted trys to Merrylands after half-time, one converted try to Lane Cove then another converted try to Merrylands followed another convrted try with 2 minutes on the clock left it at 28-22. 3 missed conversions by Lane Cove was the difference in the end.

Was watching scores rack up on the app. Looked like Merrylands didn't even have the ball for long periods with Covies 15 up, but they finished over the top despite a red card in the second half that could have cruelled them.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Halfway point of Division 5 and its quite interesting.

JEFFREY CUP - Menai (32), Merrylands (29), and Convicts (29) are locked in a battle for top spot. Each side is on 6 wins, with
  • Merrylands beating Menai
  • Menai beating Convicts
  • Convicts beating Merrylands
The Convicts are away at Bingham Cup this week, so will forfeit a likely win against Dukes BUT Menai host Merrylands next weekend so Convicts will hang onto third spot at worst.

Of the chasing pack, Lane Cove look to be in the best position, having challenged Merrylands yesterday and also beaten everyone below them on the table. They will probably wrap up 4th spot at this stage, and could do it as early as Round 10. They will look to Fortress Tantallon to cause an upset or two against Menai and Merrylands in Rounds 12 & 14 respectively and try for 3rd.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Any reports from Iggies vs HAC? Talking to an ex Emu who is now playing for Brothers he said HAC picked up most of the ex-Penrith 1st grade side with Blue Mountains picking up the remainder.

The Brothers Emu connection certainly added size which proved significant in their 17-16 win in front of a raucous Newport crowd baying for the refs blood. Breakers will be kicking themselves as despite being outweighed 30kgs+ per man in the forward pack, poor handling at crucial times cost them dearly. Cannot see Brothers troubling the big 3 but given their overall size they will certainly know they’ve played a game of footy. My tip is Brothers will pip Iggies for the 4th spot into the semis.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
Any reports from Iggies vs HAC? Talking to an ex Emu who is now playing for Brothers he said HAC picked up most of the ex-Penrith 1st grade side with Blue Mountains picking up the remainder.

The Brothers Emu connection certainly added size which proved significant in their 17-16 win in front of a raucous Newport crowd baying for the refs blood. Breakers will be kicking themselves as despite being outweighed 30kgs+ per man in the forward pack, poor handling at crucial times cost them dearly. Cannot see Brothers troubling the big 3 but given their overall size they will certainly know they’ve played a game of footy. My tip is Brothers will pip Iggies for the 4th spot into the semis.

HAC just too big and too strong, they play a fairly simple game plan but once they get over the advantage line they can punish you with offloads.. Plus it looked like they had some fresh forwards on the bench. Plenty of Penrith shorts/socks in the lower grades but not so much in 1st Grade so it was hard to tell who was an Emu and who wasn't.

Cranky Penguin

Stan Wickham (3)

Heavyd your information is wrong in regards to Blue Mountains picking up the rest of the Emus first grade side. They have no Emu first graders currently playing with them. They have one that might potentially play but has only turned up once so far and if he comes back will probably play in fourths or thirds with his mates. I think there is 6 Emus at Blueys in total now and they all were Emus lower graders. 4 of those are also ex-Blueys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Heavyd your information is wrong in regards to Blue Mountains picking up the rest of the Emus first grade side. They have no Emu first graders currently playing with them. They have one that might potentially play but has only turned up once so far and if he comes back will probably play in fourths or thirds with his mates. I think there is 6 Emus at Blueys in total now and they all were Emus lower graders. 4 of those are also ex-Blueys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes similar misinformation about HAC. BTW teams are on Fusesport app for all to see. There were only 2 former Emu's players in HAC 1sts last weekend. There are a few other former Emu's (of varying abilities) scattered across the grades (again) with 3 or 4 being former HAC players anyway. No - "super club" thing for anyone to be concerned about as Old Iggies still soundly defeated HAC in 3rds & Colts. Oh & we are also waiting on a delivery of shorts & socks so not everyone out of HAC kit was new.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Yes similar misinformation about HAC. BTW teams are on Fusesport app for all to see. There were only 2 former Emu's players in HAC 1sts last weekend. There are a few other former Emu's (of varying abilities) scattered across the grades (again) with 3 or 4 being former HAC players anyway. No - "super club" thing for anyone to be concerned about as Old Iggies still soundly defeated HAC in 3rds & Colts. Oh & we are also waiting on a delivery of shorts & socks so not everyone out of HAC kit was new.

Thanks for clarifying. The Emu in question might have had his wires crossed. Judging by how many got out of the mini bus it looks like Brothers have picked up around a 10-12 players again of varying ability. A couple of them got yellows in 3s for overzealous highs but other than allowing them to field a 3rds and 2nds (they had to back up) didn’t really make an impact. The few in 1sts were very large but again Newport had their chances which they didn’t take.

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
MERRYLANDS v Lane Cove - Merrylands at home are impressive, with an average home winning margin of 37. Covies are fit and young so it'll be a fascinating clash, but I don't think the men from Tantallon have quite enough firepower.

Hey Bernie, I heard there were a few cards dished out by the ref in this game, and Merrylands had a red... was it an il-tempered match?

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Hey Bernie, I heard there were a few cards dished out by the ref in this game, and Merrylands had a red. was it an il-tempered match?

One of the cards was for dissent too according to the app.

Looks like a couple of judiciary appointments coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.