• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
yeah I read that too and did think that was a bit rich especially having been on the receiving end of some of their crowd's taunts.
Suck shit they lost.

whassaname

Bob McCowan (2)
I played in that game for Forest, and I can say that despite what is reported in the Manly Daily that's not how the team who actually played feel. It was a good and mostly clean game, and Mountains deserved the win. We were ahead until the final 20, and unfortunately we made some bad decisions and missed a few important tackles at the same time as they lifted and played their best 20. if there were new players they weren't individually good enough to drastically change anything, it's just that in a critical part of the game we were outplayed and didn't have enough of a lead to hold on.

As I said a few weeks ago in this forum, any Barraclough team this year is good enough to beat any other on their day. There are no easy games.

I didn't notice anything particularly bad from either crowd, but I was on the field most of the time so it's entirely possible I missed something. But the feeling on the field was mostly positive after the game - we congratulated them on a good win, both teams said we'll see you in the finals, and the feeling in the sheds after the game was positive because we know we played well. I think the loss is probably a good thing as it relieves some pressure to keep the streak going, and I'm pretty sure we'll learn something from that final 20 and be better for it.

So anyway what you read in the media doesn't necessarily align with how the players actually feel.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
I played in that game for Forest, and I can say that despite what is reported in the Manly Daily that's not how the team who actually played feel. It was a good and mostly clean game, and Mountains deserved the win. We were ahead until the final 20, and unfortunately we made some bad decisions and missed a few important tackles at the same time as they lifted and played their best 20. if there were new players they weren't individually good enough to drastically change anything, it's just that in a critical part of the game we were outplayed and didn't have enough of a lead to hold on.

As I said a few weeks ago in this forum, any Barraclough team this year is good enough to beat any other on their day. There are no easy games.

I didn't notice anything particularly bad from either crowd, but I was on the field most of the time so it's entirely possible I missed something. But the feeling on the field was mostly positive after the game - we congratulated them on a good win, both teams said we'll see you in the finals, and the feeling in the sheds after the game was positive because we know we played well. I think the loss is probably a good thing as it relieves some pressure to keep the streak going, and I'm pretty sure we'll learn something from that final 20 and be better for it.

So anyway what you read in the media doesn't necessarily align with how the players actually feel.

Surely someone from within your club fed the journo that story though.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)

As a regular visitor to Melwood over the years I've began to feel a little sympathy for the Club. As an official I have often had Forest guys apologize for the crowd. Like Newport, the genuine supporters are pretty good, if somewhat vocal. It seems to be the locals with little else to do with their time except consume cheap beers on a Saturday afternoon, that cause the problems.

Having also been on the end of some heavy defeats at the aforementioned ground, my sympathy ends there:D For this weekend at least...Go RAMS!!!!

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
HeavyB's Div 3 Tips

Redfield v Newport - Redfield to wipe Newport like a dirty ass. Redfield 20+

Iggies v St Ives - Staaahp it! Staahpt it! Its already dead! Iggies 40+

Barker v Brothers - If we win this, I'll run nude back to RCO. Brothers by 1.

HAC v Valley - Match of the Round here fellas. Interested to see how Valley back it up after a shock win over Redfield. Looking at that side, there seems to have been a bit of movement in key positions. Be that as it may, HAC to win through the sheer brutality of their borderline semi-professional standard side. Can't see them being beaten again this season. HAC 30+

SubbiesVeteran

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 1
Petersham v Waverley- Not sure the round 1 score will be repeated but ill go out on a limb and say Waves will cause an upset this weekend
Drummoyne v Colleagues- Should be a cracker. Colleagues were convincing round 1 at home, the dirty reds have improved with every game this year and think they'll get the job done at home this week
Knox v Balmain- Should be a close encounter early on but expecting Knox to come home strong and take this one out at home
Mosman v Hunters Hill- Unfortunately for Hunters Hill this is going to e much the same as Round 1 when they met. Mosman at home way to strong for an improving side

Div 2
UNSW v Hills- For div 2 this would have to be the game to watch. 4th v 5th winner either jumps into the 4 or drifts away from the pack. Last time round Hills smashed a decimated UNSW club in general. it will certainly be a different story this weekend. Will say Hills though in a tight contest
St Pats v Lindfield- This one again will be a lot different to the 2nd round clash earlier in the year. Lindfield are out of contention and Pats will be looking to cement their spot in the 4. Pats by plenty with Lindfield winning all other grades
Blue Mountains v Beecroft- This could very well be a cricket score. If Mountain show the form they did in their first half v Lindfield and the game v Hills and Forest look out to the visitors. Mountains comfortably
Epping v Forest- Epping will be desperate to keep in touch with the pack and will be putting a lot into this game as their season is riding on it. Forest are coming off a last start defeat and will be looking to bounce back but I feel the Rams at Sommerville will do enough to keep their hopes alive

Div 3
HAC v Valley- Think this wont be close HAC by plenty Valley will be upbeat about the win over Redfield but wont be enough
Redfield v Newport- Redfield to do this easy against the proverbial non travellers
Iggies v St Ives- Iggies by plenty surely
Barker v Brothers- Barker with to much class in this one against an improving brothers

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 2 Tips

Before I start I just want to echo the messages going around here that the Barraclough Cup is as competitive 1st Grade comp I have seen in a long while. The fact that the top 6 teams all have the potential to beat each other on any given day and still in the hunt for semis is great. Well done to all clubs. The quality of rugby has been top notch as well. The Blue Mountains v St Pats game at Lapstone the other week was fantastic, hard fought contest with a nail biting finish. A few results this weekend in favour of Hills and Forest will really kick the top 4 ahead with a nice buffer. A lot on the line for Epping and UNSW this week!

UNSW v Hills - Match of the round. Tough to pick given the flogging Hills gave UNSW in round 2. UNSW will be much better at home but may be affected by current undertaking of university exams. Hills to be fired up after a last start loss and the weekend off. Hills by 5.

St Pats v Lindfield - I'm very surprised Lindfield haven't chalked up a first grade win this year given their usual club wide strength. Unfortunately for the Old Soldier I can't see it coming this weekend against a St Pats team on the up. St Pats have a good mix of youth and experience and will be keen to keep the prospects of a top 2 finish alive. St Pats by 14. Li

Blue Mountains v Beecroft - Can only see this one going one way. Blue Mountains by 30+.

Epping v Forest - Epping really need to start claiming some big scalps if they want to make the finals. They have been very competitive all year in the top grade but I'm sure will be keen to have the results to show it. Facing Forest after their first loss of the year is a huge task which I'm tipping will be too much. In an absolute cracker, Forest by 2.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Worst subbies BBQ and set up goes to our friends at Redfield. Commical

If they're playing on College grounds they may not have much say in it. Oakhill Old Boys got the least of the least when they were allowed to play at the college.

However, if it's one of the rugby grounds at the college the cricket pitch is a doozy.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Played Menai yesterday and had just enough numbers by kickoff. Our front row average age was about 43 and there were a LOT of Second Graders out there. Lost 73-24 but it was 26-10 at halftime and not many teams have scored a bonus point against the ladder leaders this season. We'll take it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In other news: Dundas forfeit again. That is their third official forfeit this year, not counting the game where they failed to maintain minimum numbers.

One of their guys got done at the judiciary and booted to Round 6 next year. That seems to be the longest sentence handed down and the probable cause was either kicking or stamping based on the sentences that week.

Sheet.

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Congrats Big Bopper! Whilst I tipped against you I'm glad you guys proved me wrong. Looks like it was a good day at Somerville with a win in 2s and 3s plus a close finish in colts against the ladder leaders. I'm sure all teams yet to play at Epping this year will know they have to bring their A game if they are going to come away on top.

Had a bit of a flick through the results and was surprised to see two forfeits in the Div 1 colts. I know Waverley and Balmain had flagged some concerns at the start of the year by offering free subs on Facebook, but all the same it is very disappointing. Beecroft for example were in the same position and have put a team each week to their credit. It seems that the Barbour Cup is a two horse race between the traditional colts heavyweights Colleagues and Mosman. Colts is obviously a different kettle of fish to grade but would love to see an interdivisional colts comp. Whilst probably not possible the div 2 colts comp is strong this year and would be great to see the likes of Lindfield, Forest and St Pats up against the div 1 colts.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Congrats Big Bopper! Whilst I tipped against you I'm glad you guys proved me wrong. Looks like it was a good day at Somerville with a win in 2s and 3s plus a close finish in colts against the ladder leaders. I'm sure all teams yet to play at Epping this year will know they have to bring their A game if they are going to come away on top.

Had a bit of a flick through the results and was surprised to see two forfeits in the Div 1 colts. I know Waverley and Balmain had flagged some concerns at the start of the year by offering free subs on Facebook, but all the same it is very disappointing. Beecroft for example were in the same position and have put a team each week to their credit. It seems that the Barbour Cup is a two horse race between the traditional colts heavyweights Colleagues and Mosman. Colts is obviously a different kettle of fish to grade but would love to see an interdivisional colts comp. Whilst probably not possible the div 2 colts comp is strong this year and would be great to see the likes of Lindfield, Forest and St Pats up against the div 1 colts.

What about some kind of post-season competition between the first grade premiers of each division, as well as the colts? Div 3 vs Div 6; winner plays Div 2; div 4 vs div 5, winner plays div 1. Winners play off for the Tim Richards Cup.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tim Richards Cup

notsure-1.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That said: I reckon some kind of inter-divisional playoff between First Grade sides would be a spicy affair.

Div 1 v Div 2
Div 3 v Div 4
Div 5 v Div 6

BUT your issue is getting them to train after Mad Monday ;)

The Real Big Bopper

Allen Oxlade (6)

Cheers... brutal encounter. Great to watch. Nil all at half time then it finally opened up in the 2nd half thanks to the colour of the cards in the ref's pocket. A red to us (probably yellow at best IMO) and two yellows to Forest (don't think that their first was any more than a penalty) but winners shan't be whingers.

Forest seemed gracious in defeat despite a little bit of argy bargy on the field. I'd say they're still favorites for the big dance. It'll be interesting to see who we face in the bluey's line up. I wonder if the chat about the Emu players coming across is true.

Plenty still to happen in div2 I'd say...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.