• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranky Penguin

Stan Wickham (3)
Congrats Big Bopper! Whilst I tipped against you I'm glad you guys proved me wrong. Looks like it was a good day at Somerville with a win in 2s and 3s plus a close finish in colts against the ladder leaders. I'm sure all teams yet to play at Epping this year will know they have to bring their A game if they are going to come away on top.

Cheers. brutal encounter. Great to watch. Nil all at half time then it finally opened up in the 2nd half thanks to the colour of the cards in the ref's pocket. A red to us (probably yellow at best IMO) and two yellows to Forest (don't think that their first was any more than a penalty) but winners shan't be whingers.

Forest seemed gracious in defeat despite a little bit of argy bargy on the field. I'd say they're still favorites for the big dance. It'll be interesting to see who we face in the bluey's line up. I wonder if the chat about the Emu players coming across is true.

Plenty still to happen in div2 I'd say.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Real Big Popper If you haven’t already, then maybe check through the team lists of Mountains. It is laughable that there is still discussion about Penrith Emus folding and that having anything to do with Blue Mountains winning games. It’s just an easy cop out from people clutching at straws.

Anyway great win on the weekend to you and your players. We are looking forward to coming to Somerville this weekend. It’s sure to be a tough day of rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
The Real Big Popper If you haven’t already, then maybe check through the team lists of Mountains. It is laughable that there is still discussion about Penrith Emus folding and that having anything to do with Blue Mountains winning games. It’s just an easy cop out from people clutching at straws.

Anyway great win on the weekend to you and your players. We are looking forward to coming to Somerville this weekend. It’s sure to be a tough day of rugby.

Did the ex-Penrith first grade 10 not play fullback for fourth grade on the weekend?

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Did the ex-Penrith first grade 10 not play fullback for fourth grade on the weekend?[/quot

Interesting if Blue Mountains win promotion to Div 1 and all the ex emu boys rejoin Penrith in DIV 2 comp. Could make for a long season.

Cranky Penguin

Stan Wickham (3)
Did the ex-Penrith first grade 10 not play fullback for fourth grade on the weekend?

9ed0656b43a03f139638a4e006e4f585.png

Check my post from May about Joseph, Prodigy. For the record also he only played about 15mins and got yellow carded. Did not return to the field.

The Real Big Bopper

Allen Oxlade (6)

I was alluding to the fact that I didn't think there were any major differences to the team sheets.... from what I can see the guys who just pipped us at Lapstone looked like the same guys who got over forest last week

Looking forward to the contest this week!!

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Not sure what the big deal is. Penrith, a club that has struggled to record wins for decades and frequently the recipient of 100 point floggings, has folded leaving a stack of players without a club. They're allowed to find a new club be that Blue Mountains, Brothers, Colleagues, Southern Districts etc etc. Realistically and with the greatest of respect the players at Penrith weren't top notch Shute Shield by any stretch of the imagination. Don't get me wrong, strength in numbers is crucial to subbies success, just look at Mosman running out 9 teams some weekends. But it's not as if a club rugby powerhouse has folded leaving fantastic rugby players without a club. Fair play to Blue Mountains and any other club who has picked up a few emus. Its not their fault the emus folded.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not to mention the directive from Subbies that ANY Penrith players turning up to register at other clubs MUST get approval from Subbies first.

Yeah, I'm a crazy dreamer to believe they won't just bring another form of ID and register as someone else entirely, but the chances of these guys even bothering to migrate en masse to other clubs is low. Certainly guys who have played for us in the past, then gone to Penrith, haven't bothered even asking to come back, make us into two grades, and win the comp.

The Real Big Bopper

Allen Oxlade (6)
So after losing 2 1st grade backs for the season vs Beecroft (broken jaw and torn knee thingo) and having 2 starting 1st grade backs pull out injured on Saturday morning vs forest, we then get a red card for dangerous tackling in the forest game...

didn't really think the tackle was that bad...

Until we receive the referee's report and BANG.... mid-range dangerous tackle = 10 week charge!?!?!?!?!

My god, you've got to be FUCKING kidding me

Think I need a beer... and a miracle

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Already pumped for this weekend. There should be some cracking games.

So i thought I would get in on the tips

Div1

HH vs Petersham. Going to go with Petersham by 5
Balmain vs Dirty Reds: Local derby but Dirty reds by 3
Waverley vs Mosman: Going to be match of the round. Going to go with Waves at home by 2 points
Colleagues vs Knox: Colleagues too strong at home by 12 points

Div 2

Beecroft vs Forest. Always a tough game. Think Forest by 15+
St Pats vs UNSW. St Pats too strong at home by 10+
Epping vs Blue Mountains. Based on the Epping coaches comments I am a bit worries about this one. However based on last week I'll say Epping by 3
Hills vs Lindfield: Hills by plenty

Div 3

Saints vs Newport: Toss of the coin this one. I am going to tip Saints by 3 at home
HV vs Brothers: Valley at home by 10 points
Iggies vs Redfield: Redfield in a mini slump. Going to tip Iggies at home by 10 points
Bobs vs HAC: Two undefeated teams going head to head. Depends who lines up for BOBs as they were missing 3 key players last week. I am going to tip another draw

Div 4 - Div 6 I will leave to the experts!!!!

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
So after losing 2 1st grade backs for the season vs Beecroft (broken jaw and torn knee thingo) and having 2 starting 1st grade backs pull out injured on Saturday morning vs forest, we then get a red card for dangerous tackling in the forest game.

didn't really think the tackle was that bad.

Until we receive the referee's report and BANG.. mid-range dangerous tackle = 10 week charge!?!?!?!?!

My god, you've got to be FUCKING kidding me

Think I need a beer. and a miracle

Did you see the dangerous tackle? If so, can you describe it in more detail? If it was a lifting tackle and then dumping on his head/ shoulder - then I have no sympathy; those dangerous tackles can leave someone in a wheelchair for life...

A 10 week charge - for a mid-range dangerous tackle based on the referees report - sounds quite strange though.....

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Did you see the dangerous tackle? If so, can you describe it in more detail? If it was a lifting tackle and then dumping on his head/ shoulder - then I have no sympathy; those dangerous tackles can leave someone in a wheelchair for life.

A 10 week charge - for a mid-range dangerous tackle based on the referees report - sounds quite strange though...

I know Newport have someone filming each game. Only way to protect players from poor decisions and weeks on the sideline.

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
I know Newport have someone filming each game. Only way to protect players from poor decisions and weeks on the sideline.

Thats a smart thing to do Heavyd, and I recommend all clubs do this, and for the pre-season games as well. - I have lost count how may times the refereeing association has to send a group email out to all of the referees reminding them to ensure they fill out the send off forms correctly, and with the relevant information of what actually occurred... apparently players have got off the initial charge due to poor or incorrect information in the send off report! (like not having the correct players name who got red carded, duh!...)

The Real Big Bopper

Allen Oxlade (6)
Did you see the dangerous tackle? If so, can you describe it in more detail? If it was a lifting tackle and then dumping on his head/ shoulder - then I have no sympathy; those dangerous tackles can leave someone in a wheelchair for life.

A 10 week charge - for a mid-range dangerous tackle based on the referees report - sounds quite strange though...
Lifting tackle that in my opinion put the player on his back. Certainly not on head and neck. I totally agree on the need to protect players.

We have video footage which we will take to the judiciary.

I liken the tackle to the Koroibete tackle vs Ireland (thanks Sam) which resulted in a yellow and nothing more.

I'm not attacking the ref or the judiciary here at all.... just think the charge doesn't fit the crime. I understand how difficult it is for a ref to have to make a report on something that happened at full speed in the middle of the match.

Just hoping for some common sense from the judiciary

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And I got dumped on my head and shoulder a month ago, but the ref gave a yellow :)

Lucky I wasn't simultaneously standing on the sideline, or it would have been red ;)

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Any ideas for protecting players from the inbreds in the crowd?

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
HeavyB's Div 3 Tips

St Ives v Newport - Whatever the outcome of this one, it is safe to say rugby will not have been the winner. Newport to win an absolute bludger of a game.
Iggies v Redfield - Could be interesting. Unsure what has happened to Redfield over the last few weeks, will tip them but wouldn't be surprised if it went the other way. Redfield by 7.
Valley v Brothers - The boys will be primed for the bus trip to Valley who always put on a quality spread. Brothers will be boosted by injuries to a couple of key banter merchants who are frankly more useful on the sideline. Brothers to get home in this one by means of mental disintegration.
Barker v HAC - Match of the Season to date. Barker are a very slick and disciplined outfit but I just can't see them matching the physicality of HAC. Barker will compete early but I see HAC doing it somewhat comfortably in the end. HAC by 15.

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
DIV 2 Tips for Round 10

Make or break for Epping and UNSW this round. If Hills get up and UNSW and Epping lose to their higher ranked opposition the gap between the top and bottom 4 could be up to 10 competition points. A monumental change of fortune would be required from a few clubs to reign in that lead as we edge closer to finals.

Hills v Lindfield - Hills will be keen to extend the gap between the top 4 and bottom 4. Expecting this to be a high scoring affair with Hills taking out a comfortable bonus point win at Yattenden. Hills by 15.

St Pats v UNSW - all or nothing for UNSW this week. Must win if they are to keep there finals hopes alive. Last time they met St Pats dominated up front and I'm expecting much of the same at Hudson Park this week. All the talk has been around Blue Mountains and Forest, but St Pats are right in the hunt on equal points with Blueys and one point of ladder leaders Forest. They'll be looking to bust into the top 4 with a bonus point win. St Pats by 10.

Beecroft v Forest - Forest will be looking to make up for consecutive losses with a strong bounce back this week at Headen Park. Beecroft have been fairly competitive throughout the year despite only picking up the one victory. I think this maybe closer than the ladder would suggest but Forest to have too much class across the paddock for a gutsy Beecroft team. Forest by 9.

Epping v Blue Mountains - Match of the round by a country mile as two form teams meet at Somerville. Every game is must win for the Rams if they are to stay in finals contention but feel the Blue Mountains will be too strong on this occasion. Blue Mountains have proven they are happy enough travelling and have been very consistent of recent times. Blue Mountains will have their eyes on top spot. Blue Mountains by 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.