• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2019

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There will be so many forfeited games in divs 3 and 4 this year its ridiculous.

That's cool, because we will probably need Halligan Cup games! I've reached out to the usual suspects - and a couple of others I know might find themselves at a loose end - to get some juices flowing.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
A week and half until the season starts can't wait!

Anybody willing to stick their hands up and have a stab at first grade premiers for this year?

Personally looking forward to keeping any eye on a few things:

(1) How will Blueys go in Div 1 this year? Always impressed with how well they travel. In my time in subbies I can only recall them having one tough season (When they came up from Div 3 and went straight back down)
(2) Who is going to get relegated from Div 1 this year?
(3) How Beecroft and Blacktown go in their new division. I can sense that Blacktown are on a bit of roll
(4) Are BOBs going to be able to stay up if they don't have a 4th grade team?
(5) How many teams actually don't run all their grades.

It's going to be an interesting year.

The Burke

Stan Wickham (3)
Heard from a mate that the Raptors had some big boys playing on the weekend but fitness being a problem at this stage. Didn't get any scores but the Merrylands v Mac Uni 2nd grade game was pretty tight, Merrylands probably by a try.
Also hearing the Blacktown colts have some big lads mainly from league background. However numbers are not huge yet so a few injuries and they could be in trouble. But they have some potential interest from younger locals at the Blacktown scorpions as it seems many teams forfeit games against the junior Blacktown teams. I recall seeing an under 15s team out there a few years back that was bigger than a lot of open men's teams.

Danny Dribbler

Frank Row (1)
Not Sure if this has become a Subbies Chat or a Whinge about Div 7 or 8. How about we focus on the real games at the top end of town.

I'm hearing that Blueys are going to struggle in 1s as they have lost of lot of players from last years premiership. They will fight it out with Balmain for the drop this year. Just shows you what happens when the money dries up.
Mosman & Colleagues may or may not have opened the cheque book to try to catch up with Petersham's overseas recruitment drive. Maybe they need to look overseas for a 9/10/12 like the Shammies have been doing. Shammies vs Mosman Grand Final again this year.

I'm hearing there are certain clubs struggling for very low numbered players and they are offering very very very cheap rego. I'm hearing they aren't the only club struggling on the big bopper front this year. But again that is in a lower division so no one really cares. But I guess we need the lower divisions to at least have 30 players so this page isn't filled up with "Oh guys, only had 23 blokes at training this week blah blah blah"

In terms of promotion/relegation - Balmain to drop, Pats to go up after Forest again happen to lose their last 2 games accidently on purpose to not get promoted again. Barker to drop since they are already only playing 3 grades & Beecroft to come straight back up even though they wont win any premierships this year as Ag will still supposedly not be paying their top 2 unbeatable grades again.

The Burke

Stan Wickham (3)
Alright so predictions without much info to go on.
Div 1 Petersham or Colleagues to win. Wooden spoon will be Balmain or Waves (just feel the others are stronger).
Div 2 Hunters Hill or Forest. Wooden spoon for Barker
Div 3 Hawk Ag or Old Iggies. Wooden spoon for Newport or Blacktown
Div 4 Canterbury or Irish (if not Quinn's). Wooden spoon Saints or Merrylands

Luke buckets

Frank Row (1)
Not Sure if this has become a Subbies Chat or a Whinge about Div 7 or 8. How about we focus on the real games at the top end of town.

I'm hearing that Blueys are going to struggle in 1s as they have lost of lot of players from last years premiership. They will fight it out with Balmain for the drop this year. Just shows you what happens when the money dries up.
Mosman & Colleagues may or may not have opened the cheque book to try to catch up with Petersham's overseas recruitment drive. Maybe they need to look overseas for a 9/10/12 like the Shammies have been doing. Shammies vs Mosman Grand Final again this year.

I'm hearing there are certain clubs struggling for very low numbered players and they are offering very very very cheap rego. I'm hearing they aren't the only club struggling on the big bopper front this year. But again that is in a lower division so no one really cares. But I guess we need the lower divisions to at least have 30 players so this page isn't filled up with "Oh guys, only had 23 blokes at training this week blah blah blah"

In terms of promotion/relegation - Balmain to drop, Pats to go up after Forest again happen to lose their last 2 games accidently on purpose to not get promoted again. Barker to drop since they are already only playing 3 grades & Beecroft to come straight back up even though they wont win any premierships this year as Ag will still supposedly not be paying their top 2 unbeatable grades again.
can tell why you're named dribbler

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
While the website hasn't been updated, it would appear the "North" competition will be for Meldrum Cup.

Draft came out late last week. Finalised tomorrow

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Alright so predictions without much info to go on.
Div 1 Petersham or Colleagues to win. Wooden spoon will be Balmain or Waves (just feel the others are stronger).
Div 2 Hunters Hill or Forest. Wooden spoon for Barker
Div 3 Hawk Ag or Old Iggies. Wooden spoon for Newport or Blacktown
Div 4 Canterbury or Irish (if not Quinn's). Wooden spoon Saints or Merrylands

Div 1 - I think Mosman and Petersham will be close to the top, both have a strong core group and depth. I expect KNOBS to be big improvers. Hearing Balmain are going to struggle....
Div 2 - Agreed. Forest just edging Hunters Hill. Interested to see how BOBS go with promotion, they have a few classy players but can't rely on them to heavily in Div 2. They may struggle.
Div 3 - HAC in a canter (Fat too big, strong and skillfull) with a much improved Iggies 2nd. Beecroft to struggle.
Div 4 - Canterbury to big and strong. With a determined group of saints players giving it their all but fighting for the spoon.

The Burke

Stan Wickham (3)
Any word on how many teams are struggling to put out the full number of teams? Bobs, half of Div 4, sounds like Drummoyne? Anyone else now putting up their hand? How many are due to holidays v a numbers problem.

Balmain might struggle on the field but they have an interesting selection of coaches including a recently retired Aus 7s player.

ValleyGirl

Bob McCowan (2)
Happy ANZAC eve rugby pundits.
Here are my predictions for the season.

Div 1 - Mosman to take this one out. My Dark horse for the season has to be the Blue Mountain Boys... never seen them play but i loved their energy at the subbies awards night last year.... making rugby great again.
Div 2 - I'd be lying if i said that i wanted any team to win this division #BooDiv2. For arguments sake lets say BOB's. seemed like nice enough guys in Div 3 last year.
Div 3 - Ag could win this without ever getting out of 1st gear. Newport will be strong as they always are, at the expense of any shred of human decency of course, I certainly wouldn't piss on any of them if they were on fire. Ironically enough, I would if they werent....
Div 4- Northern Saints are my VGBC (Valley Girl's Big Call). Special mention to the men at Northern Saints, a whole lot of love for those blokes. #SaintItAShame

Till next time,

xoxo ValleyGirl