• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2019

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
What about a paid division?

So if you choose to enter your club, you can't complain that someone nicked your players.

And then the lower grades remain as they are. So that you don't have one club or 2 clubs per division, trampling the rest.

I like it

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)
I remember the good old days on here talking about paying players. Whatever happened to Birchgrove Bes?? Despite much of the bullshit he spouted, at times I feel he was quite on point

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)
By the beard of Zeus, it's me!! Rumour Ron Burgundy. I have many leather bound books full of correct tips and old brown paper bags filled with paper money and copper coins. Ahhh the pay days. 12 from 18 last week... pretty good from ol Ronnie boy.

Div1 - Mozzzzzzzzman, Dirty Filthy Red Card Reds, PeterSHAMS and the fifteen billy goats gruff to reignite their season

Div2 - UNSW to go back to back wins, HH juggernaut to keep paying, Pats (they belong in Div1 you know) and the Epping Five Dragons (a nod to you Birchgrove Bes)

Div3 - Brother$, Blacktown (my new favourite club), Redfield continuing to firm as premiership favourites, Beecroft- surely last week was the deathknell for golden handshakes at HAC. Perhaps it's golden showers this week instead - all welcome

Div4 - Macq Uni, Berries, Merrylands, Quinns

Div5 - Burra, Lice, Dukes tough round to pick here

Div 6 - Cove by lots, Shatswoo by lots, D Y bra by lots

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
What about a paid division?

So if you choose to enter your club, you can't complain that someone nicked your players.

And then the lower grades remain as they are. So that you don't have one club or 2 clubs per division, trampling the rest.

A big part of the problem is outside Subbies control......and that's the Shute Shield. Why on earth people want to claim "elite" club status and then go down to 5th grade in seniors and 3rd grade in colts. If they started acting like professional outfits there might not have been any need for the NRC.

Create the mechanisms for players to play Subbies and still get scouted for Shute Clubs (if they want) and you will find Shute Shield rugby build in quality and Subbies clubs being filled with players.

Shute is where the money should be and Subbies is for the weekend warriors, providing opportunities for those that want it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'd argue, laying awake at night, staring at the ceiling, worrying about subbies rugby would fit into the definition.

Would hardly say that's the case for me personally, but it is why so many clubs collapse: volunteers simply don't want to do it any more after trying everything to keep a club going.

NeckThing

Banned
Afternoon all, long time reader first time poster.

I now live in the country however was in Sydney last weekend to watch Brothers take on Old Iggies - and what a game it was. Luckily I made it ten minutes into first grade so only had to hear their song once!

Kick on the bell giving a lanky Old Iggies team the victory against a much bigger side. Best for Brothers was their #9 who's name I didn't catch and the Iggies #7 named Blake Minquay (spelling?) who were both outrageously talented. Minquey (spelling?) gives up a lot in size however was physical and would not look out of place in a Shute Sheill side.

Hopefully I will be back in Sydney to catch some more div three action - great to see club rugby so strong in Sydney!

Cheers

The Burke

Stan Wickham (3)
Div 1 - Petersham, dirty reds, mountains and Mosman
Div 2 - Lindfield, Epping, Hunters and Forest
Div 3 - Beecroft, brothers, redfield and Blacktown
Div 4 - Quinn's, Berries, Merrylands and Briars
Div 5 - Lions, Burraneer and Maccabi
Div 6 - Savers, Covies and Wakehurst

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Washed out games to be played the 27th of July? Its the only free weekend i see left for this season.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yes that is the Wet Weather Weekend.

Savers would love it to piss down that weekend to force a points split between us and Covies ;)

En Gage

Frank Nicholson (4)
No tips this week? This forum is very quiet. C'mon Ronny, recharge your credit and give your spies a call!

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Don’t normally weigh in with tips but here goes:

Div 1 - Colleagues, Dirty Reds, Waves, Mountains
Div 2 - Hunters, Pats, Hills, Epping
Div 3 - HAC, ROBs, Blacktown, Newport
Div 4 - Irish, Canterbury, Merrylands, Harlequins
Div 5 - Engadine, Convicts, Sea Lice
Div 6 - Raptors, Savers, Covies

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)
Call me the Two Ronnies because I'm twice the man you'll ever be. My tips are strong like the backstreet boys. Isn't it great to have poodiggy doing his tips? Or should I reorder the first two words of the previous sentence.

Div1 same as poodiggy
Div2 HH, Pats, Old Soldier, Forrest
Div 3 Brothers, Redfield, HV (Valley Girl I yearn for you), Newport (Beecroft to stack the shit out of 2nd grade and win by 60+)
Div4 same as poodiggy
Div5 Engadine, Convicts, Burra
Div 6 Raptors, stags, fences

C

cheekymonkey

Div1 colleagues, Mosman (they’ll win the comp), waves, Mountains
Div2 HH, st Pats, Lindfield, forest
Div3 Brothers (hac are done), Redfield, Blacktown, beecroft.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
I’m a big fan of anyone whom puts their hand up and says I’ll be a referee but geez the standard is really struggling.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Call me the Two Ronnies because I'm twice the man you'll ever be. My tips are strong like the backstreet boys. Isn't it great to have poodiggy doing his tips? Or should I reorder the first two words of the previous sentence.

Div1 same as poodiggy
Div2 HH, Pats, Old Soldier, Forrest
Div 3 Brothers, Redfield, HV (Valley Girl I yearn for you), Newport (Beecroft to stack the shit out of 2nd grade and win by 60+)
Div4 same as poodiggy
Div5 Engadine, Convicts, Burra
Div 6 Raptors, stags, fences

If Beecroft stacked their 2nds it back fired badly. 25-0 to the good guys.

The Sydney Rugby Ref

Stan Wickham (3)
I’m a big fan of anyone whom puts their hand up and says I’ll be a referee but geez the standard is really struggling.

What happened out at Porters yesterday? Fusesport showed 3 x YCs and a PT against you guys in 1sts, and you still managed to win. Your colties also copped 2 x YCs, and 1 x YC in 2nds - nothing against Beecroft all day! (that can't be right...)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Investing you mention that - Subbies are getting a grant from The Rugby Club Foundation to get more refs qualified out of existing clubs:

Diva 1-4 clubs will be required to put 2 people through the refs course and Field competency test. They will referee their lowest grade on the day. They'll also be required to qualify 4 ARs.

Diva 5&6 will be 2 x ARs per club

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Take these sort of issues up directly with the club involved - it benefits no-one to create a slanging match here, nor to make what might be defamatory comments.