• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2019

Karl_H

Stan Wickham (3)
Take these sort of issues up directly with the club involved - it benefits no-one to create a slanging match here, nor to make what might be defamatory comments.

Agreed. I'm glad to see the offending post, and the ones containing it, including mine, have been removed.

Thank you to the moderators.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Take these sort of issues up directly with the club involved - it benefits no-one to create a slanging match here, nor to make what might be defamatory comments.

Fair enough. Apologies to all, 23 remaining minutes of frustration got the better of me.

Starting a hashtag movement for increased awareness for respect for referees. #blowmywhistleref

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Fair enough. Apologies to all, 23 remaining minutes of frustration got the better of me.

Starting a hashtag movement for increased awareness for respect for referees. #blowmywhistleref

Does anyone know why the referee blew the game up 23 minutes early?

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Does anyone know why the referee blew the game up 23 minutes early?

In all seriousness, without descending into hysteria again, the ref called the game after abuse from the HAC coach.

The referee walked over to try and (I think) send him to the stand but he just wouldn't shut it so the ref simply blew full-time and said he wasn't copping it any more.

That's just the fact of the matter.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
In all seriousness, without descending into hysteria again, the ref called the game after abuse from the HAC coach.

The referee walked over to try and (I think) send him to the stand but he just wouldn't shut it so the ref simply blew full-time and said he wasn't copping it any more.

That's just the fact of the matter.

It was sad to end a game like that to be honest. The majority of their players seem like good blokes, its just not fair on anyone.

We didn't sing a song or anything - it was just a shit way to end a game.

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)
18 out of 22 pretty good from Rumour Rhonda... I've got a beautiful brake foot.

This week I'll get to the magical 20+

Div1 - Shammies, Whales, Reds, Knox
Div2 - uni, hills, Pats, HH
Div3 - ROBS, Iggies, Valley, Blacktown
Div4 - uni, Briars, berries, Quinns
Div5 - dukes, Lions, maccabi
Div6 - wakes, savers, stags

The Burke

Stan Wickham (3)
Div 1 - Reds, Mountains, Mosman, Petersham
Div 2 - HH, Hills, Pats, Forest
Div 3 - Old Iggies, Blacktown, ROBS, Newport
Div 4 - Quinn's, Berries, Mac Uni, Briars
Div 5 - Dukes, Burraneer, Maccabi
Div 6 - Savers, Raptors, Stags

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting that Balmain are now only fielding two teams in DIV 1. They’ll be lucky to see out the year and Div 5 or maybe even folding being their fate in 2020? Hats of to those remaining clubman risking life and limb in 100-0 thrashings to see out till the end.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Interesting that Balmain are now only fielding two teams in DIV 1. They’ll be lucky to see out the year and Div 5 or maybe even folding being their fate in 2020? Hats of to those remaining clubman risking life and limb in 100-0 thrashings to see out till the end.

At the div 5/6 meeting I had to pull up the Subbies Chair on his description of the competition as "strong".

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
At the div 5/6 meeting I had to pull up the Subbies Chair on his description of the competition as "strong".

If I was subbies I would use 2020 as an opportunity to refresh. With Balmain heading to lower Div status I would let BOBs go back to DIV3 as they cannot field a 4th grade.

With the remaining 14 teams in Div 1 & 2 I would run a 13 game comp next year with the top 8 in Club Champs making up Div 1 in 2021 and the bottom 6 forming the basis for Div 2. They would be joined by 2 clubs whom would request to play in that Div in 2021.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
The competition and standard of rugby is weak as piss. What a ridiculous thing to say.

Some big scorelines over the weekend. With a week off I'd expect plenty of lower grade forefeits in the last few rounds as players drift away and call it a season.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Some big scorelines over the weekend. With a week off I'd expect plenty of lower grade forefeits in the last few rounds as players drift away and call it a season.

Yeah absolutely... No rest for us though Heavyd! We've got a date on Saturday!

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah absolutely. No rest for us though Heavyd! We've got a date on Saturday!

Yes was death riding you on Saturday hoping for a ROBS win which would all but guarantee us a finals birth. Will make for an interesting clash. What did you make of ROBS?

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Yes was death riding you on Saturday hoping for a ROBS win which would all but guarantee us a finals birth. Will make for an interesting clash. What did you make of ROBS?

Yeah, having played ROBs and Blacktown both twice now, I can't for the life of me see how ROBs have beaten Blacktown.

I guess different teams match up differently against one another, but we should have beaten ROBs in round 1, scoring more tries and losing through goalkicking and then Saturday I felt we were always in control. They're a very fit, fast, skilful side but do not handle physicality whatsoever and their scrum is just non-existent - we managed a penalty try and probably should have had another. Honestly its like they play rugby league - zero interest in competing at the breakdown.

This week should be a great game. Unfortunately I think we might be a bit understrength due to this originally being wet weather weekend and people having organised things. I know I won't be there for instance.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If I was subbies I would use 2020 as an opportunity to refresh. With Balmain heading to lower Div status I would let BOBs go back to DIV3 as they cannot field a 4th grade.

With the remaining 14 teams in Div 1 & 2 I would run a 13 game comp next year with the top 8 in Club Champs making up Div 1 in 2021 and the bottom 6 forming the basis for Div 2. They would be joined by 2 clubs whom would request to play in that Div in 2021.

Having seen the "Big Div" comps run in smaller clubs: nope. It sucks that you don't get Home + Away.

Balmain won't even survive Div 2 at this rate and will have to go down to Div 4 to get around a Colts requirement. Forest or Lindfield would like a crack at First Division I'm sure.

Epping will fall back to Div 3 and Redfield have historically not wanted a bar of Div 2. Blacktown surely aren't ready either, with a power First Grade and mid-table lower grades.

This is the issue with Div 2: you still have to field 4 Grades which I'm not sure is in any way practical going forward.

I've said it before, but 3 Grades + Colts should be the limit, with a Masters comp as 4th Grade if required. Rugby needs to save itself, and that means getting players and administrators away from the heartlands to help other clubs.

Rising tide lifts all boats etc.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Having seen the "Big Div" comps run in smaller clubs: nope. It sucks that you don't get Home + Away.

Balmain won't even survive Div 2 at this rate and will have to go down to Div 4 to get around a Colts requirement. Forest or Lindfield would like a crack at First Division I'm sure.

Epping will fall back to Div 3 and Redfield have historically not wanted a bar of Div 2. Blacktown surely aren't ready either, with a power First Grade and mid-table lower grades.

This is the issue with Div 2: you still have to field 4 Grades which I'm not sure is in any way practical going forward.

I've said it before, but 3 Grades + Colts should be the limit, with a Masters comp as 4th Grade if required. Rugby needs to save itself, and that means getting players and administrators away from the heartlands to help other clubs.

Rising tide lifts all boats etc.

Yeah pretty interesting times ahead. No div 3 club is in a position to compete higher at the moment. Top 4 divs could go into 2 divs with everyone playing once. 15 season games. Top div with current div 2 requirements and lower with current div 3 requirements and colts optional?

Format definitely needs looking at when you have even Balmain capitulating like they have..