• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2019

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Format definitely needs looking at when you have even Balmain capitulating like they have..

Really can't understand that :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Forest or Lindfield would like a crack at First Division I'm sure.

.....and this is where logistics meet reality. While both Clubs could field the teams in Div 1, I'm not sure whether either of them want to go up. Say what you want about their respective Club cultures but both Forest and Lindfield enjoy their footy and like the comfort of Div 2.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
...and this is where logistics meet reality. While both Clubs could field the teams in Div 1, I'm not sure whether either of them want to go up. Say what you want about their respective Club cultures but both Forest and Lindfield enjoy their footy and like the comfort of Div 2.

Back to my point about 3 Grades + Colts being the limit for the Top 3 Divisions. Set the rule, define promotion/relegation, and let it fly for 3 years, then review.

Divisions 4-6 then need to be reordered into graded competition(s) as it is clear that limited clubs can grow to 3 Grades + Colts under the current structure.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Back to my point about 3 Grades + Colts being the limit for the Top 3 Divisions. Set the rule, define promotion/relegation, and let it fly for 3 years, then review.

Divisions 4-6 then need to be reordered into graded competition(s) as it is clear that limited clubs can grow to 3 Grades + Colts under the current structure.

It is not beyond reason that Mosman or Colleagues could run out a Div 1 and Div 2 club.

C

cheekymonkey

It is not beyond reason that Mosman or Colleagues could run out a Div 1 and Div 2 club.

The only thing is a lot of the guys enjoy playing in the lower grades at the big clubs because they don’t want to train and don’t want to play longer games, so forcing guys in 4th, 5th and 6th grade to be in a new div probably won’t work.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
The only thing is a lot of the guys enjoy playing in the lower grades at the big clubs because they don’t want to train and don’t want to play longer games, so forcing guys in 4th, 5th and 6th grade to be in a new div probably won’t work.

Maybe 1st and 3rd Div then.

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)

And like to hang around and have a drink afterwards as well.

I disagree with you on this Pfitzy - punishing the players at clubs that do get 4th (5/6/7th) grade players is not the way to grow the sport. In our case (which is the only one I can talk of), most of these boys are either long time players at the club or local kids (anyone under 30) just starting out and many cannot make regular training's or games due to work. Yet often, they are the ones putting in the off field effort around the club while the rest of us play our games.

I do say this after having been through years where we had guys playing multiple grades every week. We've had props playing all 4 grades in one day. As a club, we got belted by a shitload last year by both Colleagues and Mosman (and by most other 1st Div sides bar Balmain) but to turn around and tell our 4th grade boys - most of who came through this, that we cannot let them play for us anymore would take a crueller man than me.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I disagree with you on this Pfitzy - punishing the players at clubs that do get 4th (5/6/7th) grade players is not the way to grow the sport.

Neither is punishing a club by telling them they have to find another grade or a Colts team, for being successful.

I'm not against blokes being part of a club and playing casual games, but how the hell is anyone supposed to survive if they're not part of the elite already?

Without some form of change, 5 years from now there will be 2-3 Divisions who are basically looking at 3 Grades + Colts anyway, and then a whole gaggle of people doing Halligan Cup week to week. Stuck in the middle will be clubs like Sydney Harlequins, Briars, and Mac Uni who can't get anyone to play 3 games with them each week.

Dunno. Maybe it just has to be that way as the sport dies for good?

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)
Maybe it says more about other clubs than it does about the 'elite. As in, 'I'd rather play 7th grade at 8am for the whales (and travel because I don't live in Mozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzman), than play for some other rabble. I dunno...

Div1 - Savers, Raptors, Covites (congrats on your promo to Div 1 Pfitzy)
Div2 - Dukes, Lions, Burra
Div3 - Uni, Irish, Briars, Quinns
Div4 - Bros, Robbos, Brownies, Iggy pop
Div5 - Humpers Hill, Lindfield Daaaahhhhling, Saint Patrice, Eeeeeeeping
Div6 - Waves, Whales, Wnox, Wirty Weds

Seagull Butler

Chris McKivat (8)
Neither is punishing a club by telling them they have to find another grade or a Colts team, for being successful.

I agree on this one.

I don't think the status quo is working, but I also don't believe that prohibition would work as a way to improve a situation.

Maybe make it so clubs could increase the number of Education Grants (+ max value) that can be given to colts players, maybe make it that this could go to more than colts as not many decent uni courses or apprenticeships are finished in 3 years.

Maybe add a category of the club being able to provide a car for say 5 players that don't have transport, as long as the market value of the car isn't over $15k.

Maybe not punish clubs that can't field the lowest grade in their division with automatic demotion - and allow "guest" teams like Joeys used to have with High and Grammar (17A's and 17B's played as High 3rds, Grammar 4ths). That way the Mosman 17th grade can still play for Mosman but in another Club's 4th grade.

Maybe provide a promotion buffer (i.e. can't be relegated the season immediately after promotion to give clubs time to get on their feet in the division above)

All ideas that could help without necessarily limiting clubs that are lucky geographically or have a large juniors etc.

Wooly Mammoth

Frank Row (1)

I'm not against blokes being part of a club and playing casual games, but how the hell is anyone supposed to survive if they're not part of the elite already?

Without some form of change, 5 years from now there will be 2-3 Divisions who are basically looking at 3 Grades + Colts anyway, and then a whole gaggle of people doing Halligan Cup week to week. Stuck in the middle will be clubs like Sydney Harlequins, Briars, and Mac Uni who can't get anyone to play 3 games with them each week.

Dunno. Maybe it just has to be that way as the sport dies for good?

Pfitzy - I believe from the subbies committee meeting last night that Tim Richards has demanded all clubs have their own 40,000 seater stadium in place - can you confirm construction will be complete by Saturday 12noon?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy - I believe from the subbies committee meeting last night that Tim Richards has demanded all clubs have their own 40,000 seater stadium in place - can you confirm construction will be complete by Saturday 12noon?

Now that the Parramatta Eels are moving into our park, you'll be thrilled to know we've already started. Had to sacrifice the last 2 home games, but that's life:

vCWhS2Ako1Kb5a4ZbY72qPlOBjlam5LBcth_irWp29Zx21z9hJsc8Cof7iEJ8zM2DlyE08zweuFPCPNYtl-ZU8yarXC2R1xyFY-y1y-IV8ugxFKmivyPRx7Wpg6stswc_OSozWcH6i2WDrH8C2vY9KbwsVLW0Be3MYAnNZBW5pzdAD3ZjYHcGvTEKp5miYhLkdnMrLYiWX5iyhOLI1UmuDyP9EzI6BT_y2LuyahQI342hBDIOGC7v_vG5JdMxCAur0E_R5InkfPcRflQxA67cwk5KruOGRf2tLjjIvq8nVl_z_em5GszQqiwuwEiRg4cIXtzbbhAllIoNQTDLdPkEIeFOj_ryQU7KVTX9gpXe0Hyu6fL2SbCDsQxSWb3OP1mkNVn-NZxvFD6ZB0zpnXObW-OWQgC-ZLEe9uj7LU7BvUKZBZjGG6PO-ak4zBv8uffmIkgvs8I85VYP7wpT-LjDYHqJPnqzGoFbiwAw6AfEAj1MhPf-Jhx9UtGWoG26HwxXtCYciRinUf2vQ4-lFYGrNLXnZg2M33F3_ttQ6ahGQquXrJ9nr6AGhYhyFnVCVUd-XjglsrGoy1kXLKmwqtbTDB3jNNmWhLXaRJa4uTaMtcFA62K5R6MoPwAdr5xP9EmTlWoPbTPFRY_6kt9eN9sVQ0GdQ4qKfMF=w1515-h938-no

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Maybe make it so clubs could increase the number of Education Grants (+ max value) that can be given to colts players, maybe make it that this could go to more than colts as not many decent uni courses or apprenticeships are finished in 3 years.

I chuckled at this one - but still think its a good idea - because I got an email from a club in China who want Uni graduates to come and play for a year.

Stuck it up on our FB group as a bit of a laugh (Beijing Ducks RFC is funny because Peking was renamed Beijing) and pretty much everyone at my club laughed more about the fact that we don't have any Uni graduates in the current crop.

I don't count because I'm old ;)

We'll try and kickstart Juniors again next year. No doubt there will be screaming from many clubs who will lose players in the area, but otherwise we'll lose those players to rugby altogether because they're not happy where they are.

Then recruit like mad bastards, tho why we can't get decent participation with $100 rego, free bus trips, and the best pub in Sydney is anyone's guess. 55 registered players and we're struggling to get a team on the park this week for Lane Cove.

Rumour Ronald

Herbert Moran (7)
Maybe it says more about other clubs than it does about the 'elite. As in, 'I'd rather play 7th grade at 8am for the whales (and travel because I don't live in Mozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzman), than play for some other rabble. I dunno.

Div1 - Savers, Raptors, Covites (congrats on your promo to Div 1 Pfitzy)
Div2 - Dukes, Lions, Burra
Div3 - Uni, Irish, Briars, Quinns
Div4 - Bros, Robbos, Brownies, Iggy pop
Div5 - Humpers Hill, Lindfield Daaaahhhhling, Saint Patrice, Eeeeeeeping
Div6 - Waves, Whales, Wnox, Wirty Weds

If you ever needed proof that everything I write is bullshit, then there it is above.

I have no idea what games were played today and what weren't. NFI about wet weather rounds and catch up games etc etc.

Who actually played today?