• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2019

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
From what I understand Newport are 50/50 about going up. My view is they would be crazy not to as DIV 3 is essentially a western Syd comp with all games bar 1 well over an hour away. Better to go up and get BOBs, Lindfield and maybe Forest back.
They would be in a similar boat to BOBs around not fielding a 4th grade though.

Word from Forest is they are almost resigned to winning CC and going up.

Sad state of affairs when someone feels "resigned" to winning and promotion. As for the BOBs and Newport dilemma, could they have word to the SS Clubs. Not sure where they're at with numbers but could Warringah run their lowest team as a 4th grade for Newport.

I remember a number of years ago Blue Mountains couldn't run a Colts in Div 2 side so HV Colts played in place of Blue Mts to complete the competition. It meant the Mtns didn't have to flog their numbers and HV got to keep their team together.

I don't know the numbers so might not be possible, but could it work for BOBs and Newport? At least everyone gets a game.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Sad state of affairs when someone feels "resigned" to winning and promotion. As for the BOBs and Newport dilemma, could they have word to the SS Clubs. Not sure where they're at with numbers but could Warringah run their lowest team as a 4th grade for Newport.

I remember a number of years ago Blue Mountains couldn't run a Colts in Div 2 side so HV Colts played in place of Blue Mts to complete the competition. It meant the Mtns didn't have to flog their numbers and HV got to keep their team together.

I don't know the numbers so might not be possible, but could it work for BOBs and Newport? At least everyone gets a game.

I believe we were speaking with Gordon about excess players not playing on a given week playing for us as subbies were allowing dual registration. Don't think it went anywhere.

Bring back the good old days when we could just poach their 1st grade players ;)

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)

Newport have tried that and it doesn’t work. Rats 5th grade only play every 2nd week and kick off at 9.00am but for whatever reason grade players don’t want to play subbies. Some handy players amongst them too.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
I brought this up a couple of years ago and said that they should throw the divisions open and get clubs to nominate where they want to be.

In Div 2 you have Forest, Pats, Lindfield, HH and Hills who could go up to Div 1 numbers and playing depth wise.

Why not push two clubs up in one go? If Balmain want to drop multiple divisions then let them. You could then push Forest and say Pats up (They have a lot of history is 1st division)

You are then left with:

UNSW, HH, Lindfield, HILLS, BOBs and EPPING. Then you push NEWPORT and either REDFIELD or BLACKTOWN up to 2nd Div, BUT you make it 3 grades and colts. Clubs with extra teams can then run a Halligan side and try and push for promotion to 1st Div with Halligans games worth club championship points

3rd Division then becomes the interesting one. Do these clubs want to field colts sides???? I know it has been tough for HV and HAC and the 4th division clubs seem to struggle with it.

What about a large div3/4? If only for one season to find out where everyone is at? I am sure Iggies, Blacktwon and Beecroft will hang onto colts sides.

There are some successful clubs in Div 4 like Canterbury, Quins and Irish who i think should be in Div 3 but the colts requirement makes it difficult for them. Why not give these clubs the chance to play against stronger clubs and give them a chance to grow. If having colts is the problem for these clubs then lets get rid of colts for 3rd Div and get the strongest clubs into 3rd division.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Newport have tried that and it doesn’t work. Rats 5th grade only play every 2nd week and kick off at 9.00am but for whatever reason grade players don’t want to play subbies. Some handy players amongst them too.

We inquired with 2Blues and Pirates as Div 5 & 6 got dispensation for 4th grade Premier players to dual register.

No communication came back our way

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
What happened with hunters hill today?? Everything to play for against a side battling the spoon?

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Full credit to Redfield today. The big Newport crowd had little to cheer all day. A few injuries but no excuses, just out played.
Do they ever get a bus? The dozen or so that game up for speeches looked like they were ready to settle in but all had to drive.

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Sad state of affairs that only there was only 1 Div 1 colts game today. 3 forfeits is ridiculous.

Not sure what happened with Hunters Hill 1st Grade today, stranger result, even if they had players out. Forest lead the club championship by 1 point. It’s anyones game but the BOBs forfeit in 4th grade and struggling 3rd grade will give Forest favouritism.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Sad state of affairs that only there was only 1 Div 1 colts game today. 3 forfeits is ridiculous.

Not sure what happened with Hunters Hill 1st Grade today, stranger result, even if they had players out. Forest lead the club championship by 1 point. It’s anyones game but the BOBs forfeit in 4th grade and struggling 3rd grade will give Forest favouritism.

Yes what happened there? Maybe HH threw it.

footy_footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Yes what happened there? Maybe HH threw it.

Having a closer look at the team sheet it may seem as though we haven't given BOBS enough credit. They've shown already that they have potential to knock off the top teams beating Forest earlier in the year.

Either way if HH got up it would have put them in the box seat for the club championship.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Full credit to Redfield today. The big Newport crowd had little to cheer all day. A few injuries but no excuses, just out played.
Do they ever get a bus? The dozen or so that game up for speeches looked like they were ready to settle in but all had to drive.

Honestly in shock at that result HeavyD. Its always funny how different clubs match up against one another I guess. No matter how well they're going, we definitely have the wood on Redfield. They don't like playing us at all, particularly our Fijian brothers.

As a result, I just don't see how they are a good side and win these games... On the other hand, I rated Newport when I played them. This result pretty much ensures Redfield v Blacktown GF... Iggies have shown they can beat Redfield, however I can't see Iggies beating Newport first.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Honestly in shock at that result HeavyD. Its always funny how different clubs match up against one another I guess. No matter how well they're going, we definitely have the wood on Redfield. They don't like playing us at all, particularly our Fijian brothers.

As a result, I just don't see how they are a good side and win these games. On the other hand, I rated Newport when I played them. This result pretty much ensures Redfield v Blacktown GF. Iggies have shown they can beat Redfield, however I can't see Iggies beating Newport first.

I would have thought we could beat Iggies but after Saturday not so sure. With all 4 grades in the semis we will be stretched too thin to make much of an impact anyway. Colts are our only good bet to make the GF from here I'd say.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)

As a result, I just don't see how they are a good side and win these games. On the other hand, I rated Newport when I played them. This result pretty much ensures Redfield v Blacktown GF. Iggies have shown they can beat Redfield, however I can't see Iggies beating Newport first.

LoL. I think Redfield's record suggests otherwise. We've always been considered too small, too young or not having a forward pack that can match it over 80 mins. Since 2010 ROBs has either come out on top or been in the mix across almost all grades.

thetraitor

Chris McKivat (8)
Forest lead the club championship by 1 point. It’s anyones game but the BOBs forfeit in 4th grade and struggling 3rd grade will give Forest favouritism.

Forest slightly extended the CC lead on Sunday after 2nd grade rematch vs Epping, original match called off in round 1 after injury to Epping player (hope he's ok).

But still nothing in it, and this weekend Forest are up against Barker who have proven they can knock off top teams beating HH last weekend as well as Forest 1s and 2s in round 1.

Interesting final round for Div 2 club championship.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
LoL. I think Redfield's record suggests otherwise. We've always been considered too small, too young or not having a forward pack that can match it over 80 mins. Since 2010 ROBs has either come out on top or been in the mix across almost all grades.

Just making an observation based on my on field experience champ. Nothing against Redfield whatsoever, in fact I'd happily play against them every week. At least I'd never wake up sore on Sunday.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Just making an observation based on my on field experience champ. Nothing against Redfield whatsoever, in fact I'd happily play against them every week. At least I'd never wake up sore on Sunday.

Unless of course I was unfortunate enough to do an ACL or break my leg on what is the most unsafe surface in subbies. I guess I'd be pretty sore then. Surely the school has the cash to fix that ground..

The Sydney Rugby Ref

Stan Wickham (3)

I'm with Tommy on this one... ROBs have been great for Subbies rugby, and I like the style of rugby they play. Who cares if you wake up sore, or not, after playing them - there should be more clubs like them in Subbies Rugby.

After seeing both teams 'up close' this season, I reckon it will be ROBs vs Blacktown in the GF, with the ROBs lads to get the trophy.