• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

qwerty123

Stan Wickham (3)
Will fall on my own sword here, didn't think Linfield had it in them. All the cricket scores predicted eventuated, suggesting there is only a few premiership contenders in div 2 this year. Congrats to UNSW for putting up a decent show.

C.Dark

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone know what happened at Epping today looks like the 2nd grade game was cancelled and first grade was 90-0 ?

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Anyone know what happened at Epping today looks like the 2nd grade game was cancelled and first grade was 90-0 ?
Raptors only had 10 players at the ground at second grade kickoff. We offered them an extra 10 minutes to see what would happenZ unfortunately things didn’t change.
Some extra turned up in time for first grade, but I think they got to a max of 13. We played the first half and then called it at halftime.
Fair play to George and the Raptors guys who turned up and had a crack. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Raptors only had 10 players at the ground at second grade kickoff. We offered them an extra 10 minutes to see what would happenZ unfortunately things didn’t change.
Some extra turned up in time for first grade, but I think they got to a max of 13. We played the first half and then called it at halftime.
Fair play to George and the Raptors guys who turned up and had a crack. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be
It’s a fair problem at the moment though. This is the third round where the other club has had insufficient numbers for two grades with most players doubling up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It’s a fair problem at the moment though. This is the third round where the other club has had insufficient numbers for two grades with most players doubling up.

Today we had a lot of guys doubling up, mostly due to availability.

The club has over 70 players registered, some of whom are old farts liked me, but to not even get half of them turn up due to work, injury, or that fucking Rugby league test played at 3pm, well that's just part of the landscape unfortunately.

Wish I had an answer. If we could select our best lineup every week we would be performing a lot better.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Today we had a lot of guys doubling up, mostly due to availability.

The club has over 70 players registered, some of whom are old farts liked me, but to not even get half of them turn up due to work, injury, or that fucking Rugby league test played at 3pm, well that's just part of the landscape unfortunately.

Wish I had an answer. If we could select our best lineup every week we would be performing a lot better.
Pfitzy,
We are not immune to the problem and I’m definitely not having a go at anyone, but something has to be done.
Admittedly, Raptors have apologized profusely and said that they were caught unaware. And I do feel for them. I feel for the guys who showed up and took the field. I feel for the supporters and coaches who came.
we are doing everything we can to fulfil our commitments and have not shirked a game. Last week, a skeleton crew went to Newport for 3s and 4s so that Newport weren’t let down. We made sure that their milestone men got the games required and to that effect, 3rd grade had 81 points put on them.

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
It is a difficult assignment for some clubs to get teams away from home at the moment. We travelled to Valley and reluctantly had to forfeit third grade. Our availability was decimated and we had practically our whole first grade pack out (except for Hendo). Off the top of my head 1s had Kwokky, Jimmy McNeill, Thommo, Parso, Adam Packer, Matty Barnett, Jamie Beighton, Logan Melville, Jesse Thomson, Gibbsy and more. I can't even count how many guys we had unavailable throughout the club. And the results reflected that. At the same time, Valley were strong and will take some beating.

C.Dark

Bob McCowan (2)
The constable of darkness goes 6 from 6 in the prediction department, some surprises on the score sheets especially for us merry men I expected the mouse hill gatorades to put up more of a fight, maybe this old coppers bold prediction should have waited a week for the draw to roll in their favour, hags, raptor force, taints and the chatty reindeers should see putzies men get some wins

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We are not immune to the problem and I’m definitely not having a go at anyone, but something has to be done.

Agreed that nobody is immune, but Raptors in particular were largely settled with rebuilding toward 2 Grades after the early season blows. My suspicion is they also lost a few guys to watching the Rugby League Tets (like us and even Merrylands told me they were missing a couple).

Considering last week they got a forfeit from HAC, and the week before they had 27 at Wills Ground, with 31 at home the week before, I reckon they'll be back to something more normal next week against Redfield. If not.... well it could be interesting the week after against us.

As to what can be done, I don't think clubs, Subbies, or Rugby Union in general has any control over that. I was speaking to a mate in NZ about this over social media, and the issues they're also having with club rugby. We basically agreed that it is very different compared to even a few years ago. Younger guys will skip rugby without a thought if there is a music festival, fishing trip, wedding (esp overseas) or just want to get away for the weekend.

How can you make a club commit to a competition when players won't even commit to the club? Throw in the changing demographic about shift or weekend work and having a long-term, stable club means you're basically white collar office johnnies like me, or else.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The constable of darkness goes 6 from 6 in the prediction department, some surprises on the score sheets especially for us merry men I expected the mouse hill gatorades to put up more of a fight, maybe this old coppers bold prediction should have waited a week for the draw to roll in their favour, hags, raptor force, taints and the chatty reindeers should see putzies men get some wins

It is certainly true that the next month or so will define our season. Looking at the 7 games we've played so far, the opponents are:

First Grade: Third, Second, Eighth, Twelfth, First, Fifth, Fourth.
Second Grade: Fourth, First, Ninth, Sixth, Third, Fifth, Second

Probably not shocking that we're 1 win and 1 draw for the year so far, and while we should have probably shut out another 2 games in Second Grade, it is in the book now.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Some clubs also not helped by their players suddenly changing the spelling of their names and registering with other clubs….

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
pfitzy nice outing against your boys yesterday wish you the best of luck for the rest of season

Thanks. Thought both games were played in good spirit despite the scorelines. First time our Firsts have failed to score this year.

Your speed and handling was red hot in the first half of First Grade. That second rower of yours (Jason?) is a bloody good player and him being injured was a bit of a blow for your attack. Hope he's OK and is right for the second half of the season. Luke is a club legend of course. Great crowd to see him lead the team to a win in his 200th game.

I reckon you'll be challenging for the cup in both Grades looking at the results so far - Oysters, Epping, Merrylands to fight it out I think.

Last edited:

Uzi1989

Stan Wickham (3)
Pfitzy yeah I think the boys have a red hot chance at it and yes hopefully Jason is ok it was such a great day despite the score lines but I am sure your boys will bounce back this week good luck against hac and yes Luke is one of the most important people and a legend of the club

Last edited:

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Div 1 Wrap up over the weekend
Colleagues - Waverley - Small upset with Waverley knocking off colleagues and looked like they had a good day across all grades away from home.
HH - Knox - We were good against Knox, although an unbiased opinion was we got lucky with a few tries which may have drifted forward early otherwise Knox may have had a bit of a lead on us. They have a great set piece but are missing just that little bit extra to go further. If they went to Div 2 they would be strong
Mosman Drummoyne - Closer than most expected - but the outcome the same never the less
St Pats - Petersham - Normal order restored with St Pats throwing a win away by choosing not to tackle.
Forest- Blueys - Bit of back and forth - Forest probably getting their last win for the year. Blueys had about 17 players in the bin throughout the game which usually happens with local refs at Melwood. They know where their bread is buttered.

En Gage

Frank Nicholson (4)
Subbies seem to be getting a little sloppy with registrations this year. One div 4 club has played players who have sprung up in other subbies clubs. Said players changing the spelling of their name or using fairly unusual surnames but in one case the same photo.