• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
I wonder when Easts colts will list their team sheet since Newports has been available since Thursday? Are they waiting for Subbies to rollover around eligibility for bringing higher grade colts players?
The team list is up on Easts Instagram. To their credit they’ve named basically the same team as last week. Game on.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
For a red card to be issued (or any sanction - YC, PK) the referee has to be sure that foul play has occurred.
For any head contact, the second question to ask yourself - as a ref - is, was there foul play? (The first is, was there contact directly to the head).

Yes, I'm well aware of the framework. I have seen it at every GMG session I've attended since I qualified as a ref.

As for whether it is a red - the team made that decision given the information at the time. Facts are important here:

So the ref has deemed that the poorly timed tackle - by the Knox player - was in fact intentional...

The high tackle framework says nothing about intent, nor does Law 9.13 :

A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously. Dangerous tackling includes, but is not limited to, tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent above the line of the shoulders even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders.

Law 9 Foul Play uses "intentionally" or "dangerously" at various points for different clauses, but they are not interchangeable, nor are they implied as such.

Whether the head clash was intentional or not, high tackle has still occurred. So the questions are:
Has Head Contact Occured? If Yes:
Was there any Foul Play? If Yes - player was at fault:
What was the degree of danger? If High - Red Card.

We've seen this sort of tackle given red card at the top level (Ta'avao in Ireland v ABs). The professionals get multiple reviews to make a decision, and a TMO to support that. The team last night got a split second.

It is easy for anyone to criticise with the luxury of watching back a video. More helpful is coaching people in the moment.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So the morning so far in Div 1:

Judd Cup:
Colleagues advanced after 8-all with Forest
Mosman had a big win 33-12 over Hunters Hill

Whiddon Cup:
Colleagues score in the last play of the game to take it 17-10 over Hunters Hill. They'd be gutted.
Mosman are up early against Pats 10-zip with a kick to come approx 20 minutes gone.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Since when have you become the moral high-ground on this site Fitzy?

I doubt whether I qualify for anything like that.

And I'm not seeking moral high ground - just pointing out what I see as the correct application of the high tackle framework in context of Law 9.13.
After all, opinions are strengthened if they're backed up with context, particularly as Laws can be a slippery beast.

Last edited:

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Mid day analysis

Blunt Cup - No surprises here with Hills and Newport booking a date in the grand final. Best two teams all year should put on an almighty battle.

Robertson Cup - Lindfield plagued by bad luck and determined Beecroft defence during the first half but were rewarded for their scrum time dominance in the second half. Their set piece is levels above anything I’ve seen at subbies and no team has an answer for them at scrum time. Beecroft scored one of the best tries I’ve seen, starting from a Lindfield pushover which looked a certain try from the ball popping out and the Beecroft backline taking it 100m to score. In conclusion Lindfield rightfully make the grand final and if they turn up they should win comfortably. For my Crofties, tough year at the club but positive signs with the abundance of youth talent leaving plenty to look forward to in the future. When division 3 comes back next year they’ll be one of the top clubs no doubt.

The other clash sees Easts win on a full time penalty goal. Tough for Newport, they’re a good side who would’ve backed themselves against Lindfield. Haven’t watched the game so can’t say too much at this stage.

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Lindfield and UNSW advance in Stockdale.

If Hills hadn't put all their eggs in a 3rd Grade premiership they would of taken that one.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Oysters win McLean Cup 13-6 over Savers. Didn't see all of it but no shock that it was also one try in the whole game given the conditions and the fitness and organisation of both teams.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Oysters win McLean Cup 13-6 over Savers. Didn't see all of it but no shock that it was also one try in the whole game given the conditions and the fitness and organisation of both teams.
Deserving winners. They were pretty relentless and held the ball well given the conditions. Their captain is a helluva player

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Wow - What a First Grade game yesterday. Didnt look good for a long time - but the boys were able to work their way back into the game. Even down 10 late, it felt like we would run over the top of Petersham.
Looking forward to next week!

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Redfield take out the Grose Cup in a low-scoring game 8-6
Similar to World Rugby at the moment - The over use of cards has too much of an impact on results unfortunately.

Just watched this 'red card'.The player looks like he twists himself into a bad position rather than the tackler driving down.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Wow - What a First Grade game yesterday. Didnt look good for a long time - but the boys were able to work their way back into the game. Even down 10 late, it felt like we would run over the top of Petersham.
Looking forward to next week!

Heartbreaker for Thirds losing after the bell. Firsts finished strong but pulled the rabbit out of the hat the end. Petersham would feel they had that one.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So Div 2 GFs look like they're generally following form. All the participants were Div 2 last year, and all the Div 3 clubs from last year are out. Well except Easts Colts whose association with Harlequins gives them that honour, with an asterisk attached.

Barraclough - Newport (1) v UNSW (2)
Stockdale - Lindfield (1) v UNSW (2)
Blunt - Newport (1) v Hills (2)
Richardson - UNSW (1) v Lindfield (2) - with the asterisk that this was a truncated comp with no preliminary finals
Robertson - Lindfield (1) v Eastquins (3)

Should be a good day at TG. A few showers might come through Friday but that will just settle the dust ;)

Joke aside, I assume the pitch should be in great condition as it has had no traffic the last few weeks. In fact nothing since August? A couple of Premier Colts fixtures on the main pitch.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Heartbreaker for Thirds losing after the bell. Firsts finished strong but pulled the rabbit out of the hat the end. Petersham would feel they had that one.
Very tough loss - Boys defended really well at the end. Felt we earned a turnover late but 50/50's generally go with the attacking team. 4's were always up against it with Mosman being very strong.
Should be a big week with 1's and 2's both in huge games. Get down to Woollahra instead of watching Div 2 GFs