• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I like it @Mangoman

Regional unions use a similar concept where smaller towns aren't always going to be able to field 3 Grades + Colts, but the big centres will. They can't mitigate their travel but understand they're not always going to be in rude health every year. Clubs nominate and grade accordingly.

If it was to be organised like this tho, it has to be right down the divisions i.e. you can't keep div 1 as Sydney-wide, because that would quickly create the haves/nots situation we've almost created today. Div 1 risks becoming just another SRU in that case.

I don't think it would be a challenge in terms of aligning regions, but the draw itself would be tough to put together. Would be interesting to see the effect of bigger clubs playing against smaller ones, in terms of hosting and facilities.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Actually on reflection maybe keeping div 1 Sydney wide would be a good thing: players who didn't want to do the travel could move to another "local" club. Different incentives.

Could almost create a feeder system

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Actually on reflection maybe keeping div 1 Sydney wide would be a good thing: players who didn't want to do the travel could move to another "local" club. Different incentives.

Could almost create a feeder system
I agree, Div 1 is also for aspirational players who cannot necessarily commit to the training etc of SRU.
It would be a completely independent competition with more in common with SRU than a regional Subbies comp.
Do we just undo the 1993 second division merge into Subbies? Then grade can have their relegation system again.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Well Div 2 is not off to a good start for round one as many predicted.
Status is as per the confirmed referee appointments as per Friday evening.
Weather aside, this still does not take in no-shows, or numbers playing multiple games.
Am I right in thinking Western Raptors only have 3rds & Colts?

Richardson Cup - There are no Richardson Cup games happening as scheduled.
CompetitionDivisionGradeDateHomeVAwayLocationDate/TimeTitleStatus
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision Two4th Grade
23/04/2022​
BeecroftvHillsHeaden Park-
23/04/2022 10:45​
Richardson Cup
23/04/2022​
Hawkesbury ValleyvNewportMcQuade Park-
Richardson Cup
23/04/2022​
LindfieldvWestern RaptorsSoldiers Memorial Park-
Richardson CupLindfield vs Old Barker
23/04/2022​
Old BarkervOld IgnatiansTurramurra Oval-
Richardson Cup
23/04/2022​
Sydney HarlequinsvBlacktownWaterloo Oval-
Richardson Cup
23/04/2022​
UNSWvBriarsDavid Phillips Field-
Richardson Cup

Blunt Cup - 4 out of 6
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision Two3rd Grade
23/04/2022​
23/04/2022 11:40​
Blunt Cup
23/04/2022​
Blunt CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Blunt CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Blunt Cup
23/04/2022​
Blunt CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Blunt CupConfirmed

Robertson Cup (Colts) - Hurrah!
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision Two1st Colts
23/04/2022​
23/04/2022 12:45​
Robertson CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Robertson CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Robertson CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Robertson CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Robertson CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Robertson CupConfirmed

Stockdale Cup - Alas, is it Lindfield or Raptors in trouble here?
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision Two2nd Grade
23/04/2022​
23/04/2022 14:00​
Stockdale CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Stockdale CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Stockdale Cup
23/04/2022​
Stockdale CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Stockdale CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Stockdale CupConfirmed

Barraclough Cup - Can we get a full schedule for 1st Grade? Ehh, that would be no.
NSW Suburban RugbyDivision Two1st Grade
23/04/2022​
23/04/2022 15:15​
Barraclough CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Barraclough CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Barraclough Cup
23/04/2022​
Barraclough CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Barraclough CupConfirmed
23/04/2022​
Barraclough CupConfirmed

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Alot is going to come out after this weekend. There are a lot of clubs in trouble.

Western Raptors only fielding two grades this week, whereas Lindfield have five and are now sending three to Epping.
Beecroft, Barker and Old Ignatians all unable to field third or fourth grade.

Two clubs have pulled out of the Division 5 competition.

Hawkesbury Ag do not have enough players to cover their two grades.

The Subbies office have worked hard to put things together, only for clubs to let them down.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Let's get active with some predictions. The Woodsman's inside knowledge will serve him (me) well here
DIVISION 2
BEECROFT vs HILLS: A high turnover of players at Yattenden Oval won't stop the Matt Brinnand-led Hills lads from securing an impressive first round victory over the Lions. With his dazzling red hair, I'd expect Brinnand to score a brace here with his radar boot doing the damage. Hills by 12.
UNSW vs BRIARS: You look through the Uni side and you see some new names, but what they bring is raw talent. It's a tough road trip to David Phillips so the smart money is on the Uni boys to romp home here. Uni by 30.
HAWKESBURY VALLEY vs NEWPORT: The game has been moved to the old goat track, Deerubbin. But Newport, without Hunters, St Pats and Epping in the way, will fancy themselves as title favourites. Too much class in Newport, while the Tully boys will keep Valley in the game, the relentlessness of the Breakers will win through. Newport by 6 (MATCH OF THE ROUND)
OLD BARKER vs OLD IGNATIANS: I'll take Iggies because Barker shouldn't be in this division. Iggies by I don't care.
HARLEQUINS vs BLACKTOWN: This is another match moved, but from Waterloo to Glenwood. Blacktown will have some size, but Harlequins have class. I'm expecting a Harlequins win here. Keep an eye out for the fleet-footed, headgear-wearing fullback from Harlequins, Mitchell Gibbs. Has history in Division 2. Probably keen for a good showing. Harlequins by 12.
LINDFIELD vs RAPTORS: Things not looking good out in Raptor land. Not sure if this fixture will go ahead. I'm guessing Lindfield get the 28-0 win.

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Well I have spoken to someone in the Subbies Office today and the news is not good. Lets say the Subbies board feel they have been lied to and deceived by many clubs. I can not confirm what is happening but if you turn on Lindfield and Raptors at 3.15pm on Couch TV tomorrow you will be very surprised what is happening. Lets just say it is a dark day for Subbies. At this point I think the only answer is to delay the competition for 5 weeks. What is happening can not go on and it is not fair on so many people.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
DIVISION 4
HARBOUR vs CANTERBURY: Harbour fancy themselves as title favourites, but pearls are created under pressure and they don't know it. Do they even have a second grade team? Canterbury have been hard hit by the weather with Wills Ground still a swamp. Conditioning wins this one Harbour by 23 points.
HAC vs REDFIELD: HAC with diminishing numbers but coach Berghoffer is back. Redfield with the normal flair and grit. Redfield to start the season right by 13.
CHATSWOOD vs MAC UNI: Mac Uni with the Fijian flair this year in 1s. Chatswood to struggle with the endless recycle. Mac Uni by 40 and flexing their premiership muscle.
SAVERS vs RENEGADES: Savers at home will be too good. Tough roadtrip for the Renegades to start. Savers by 30.
EPPING vs MERRYLANDS: Word from the Rams camp is that COVID has ripped through the core of the Rams with 15-20 players unavailable. The Rams recruitment has been strong and this should see them tame the Wolves. Rams with the ultimate flex, missing top line players and winning by 3.
NORTHERN SAINTS vs BYE: Tough first gig for the Saints. The bye will push them to the edge of the volcano. Saints by 28.

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Alot is going to come out after this weekend. There are a lot of clubs in trouble.

Western Raptors only fielding two grades this week, whereas Lindfield have five and are now sending three to Epping.
Beecroft, Barker and Old Ignatians all unable to field third or fourth grade.

Two clubs have pulled out of the Division 5 competition.

Hawkesbury Ag do not have enough players to cover their two grades.

The Subbies office have worked hard to put things together, only for clubs to let them down.
This is where the “regional” idea shines because if a club is lacking numbers, they don’t have a minimum requirement to fill. Regrade the competition and all of a sudden the lack of numbers for Hawkesbury Ag isn’t a problem anymore because they only have to field 1 team for the season. All the other clubs that draw their 2nd grade aren’t put out with a Bye and instead with a regrade, another team is added in their place.

Just seems that especially with the way Div 2 is shaping up (i.e. 60% of the clubs can’t field the 4 grades and colts) and the way that Div 1 always seems to have a struggle filling all 5 grades, it’s an adapt or perish scenario for Subbies.

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well I have spoken to someone in the Subbies Office today and the news is not good. Lets say the Subbies board feel they have been lied to and deceived by many clubs. I can not confirm what is happening but if you turn on Lindfield and Raptors at 3.15pm on Couch TV tomorrow you will be very surprised what is happening. Lets just say it is a dark day for Subbies. At this point I think the only answer is to delay the competition for 5 weeks. What is happening can not go on and it is not fair on so many people.
Also for those of us without a Cluch subscription or who are otherwise occupied, do you mind spilling the beans on what is meant to occur exactly?

En Gage

Frank Nicholson (4)
The rumour mill tells me that the Rams are on the cusp of being back in div 2 due to the fibs told by others. Sanity prevails.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Updated status from rugby.net.au

Div 2
Sydney Harlequins v Blacktown - MOVED to Alwyn Lindfield Res, Glenwood
Hawk Valley v Newport - MOVED to Deerubbin Park, Windsor
Lindfield v Western Raptors - CANCELLED

Div 4
Chatswood v Mac Uni - MOVED to Tantallon Oval, Lane Cove
Epping v Merrylands - MOVED to Ryde Park, Ryde
Canterbury v Syd Harbour - MOVED to Lyne Park, Rose Bay

Div 5
King's OB's v Brothers - POSTPONED

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tough day at Savers. We were up 5-nil in Second Grade but a couple of slips and they had the pace to finish it off. We had to play the last quarter of the game with 13 as numbers were low and First Grade needed a good start. I played the whole game at prop but we only had myself and the hooker so had to go uncontested.

First Grade was a similar story: lot of reshuffles due to long weekend, and guys playing up who shouldn't really. I played half the game at prop and it was full whack so I'll be a bit sore tomorrow.

Hopefully we've got everyone back for next week to face Epping... or whatever happens there.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
DIVISION 4
HARBOUR vs CANTERBURY: Harbour fancy themselves as title favourites, but pearls are created under pressure and they don't know it. Do they even have a second grade team? Canterbury have been hard hit by the weather with Wills Ground still a swamp. Conditioning wins this one Harbour by 23 points.
HAC vs REDFIELD: HAC with diminishing numbers but coach Berghoffer is back. Redfield with the normal flair and grit. Redfield to start the season right by 13.
CHATSWOOD vs MAC UNI: Mac Uni with the Fijian flair this year in 1s. Chatswood to struggle with the endless recycle. Mac Uni by 40 and flexing their premiership muscle.
SAVERS vs RENEGADES: Savers at home will be too good. Tough roadtrip for the Renegades to start. Savers by 30.
EPPING vs MERRYLANDS: Word from the Rams camp is that COVID has ripped through the core of the Rams with 15-20 players unavailable. The Rams recruitment has been strong and this should see them tame the Wolves. Rams with the ultimate flex, missing top line players and winning by 3.
NORTHERN SAINTS vs BYE: Tough first gig for the Saints. The bye will push them to the edge of the volcano. Saints by 28.
Harbour by 7; Redfield by 17;Mac Uni by 31; Savers by 26; Rams by 2; Saints by 28. 6/6 for the Woodsman
Let's get active with some predictions. The Woodsman's inside knowledge will serve him (me) well here
DIVISION 2
BEECROFT vs HILLS: A high turnover of players at Yattenden Oval won't stop the Matt Brinnand-led Hills lads from securing an impressive first round victory over the Lions. With his dazzling red hair, I'd expect Brinnand to score a brace here with his radar boot doing the damage. Hills by 12.
UNSW vs BRIARS: You look through the Uni side and you see some new names, but what they bring is raw talent. It's a tough road trip to David Phillips so the smart money is on the Uni boys to romp home here. Uni by 30.
HAWKESBURY VALLEY vs NEWPORT: The game has been moved to the old goat track, Deerubbin. But Newport, without Hunters, St Pats and Epping in the way, will fancy themselves as title favourites. Too much class in Newport, while the Tully boys will keep Valley in the game, the relentlessness of the Breakers will win through. Newport by 6 (MATCH OF THE ROUND)
OLD BARKER vs OLD IGNATIANS: I'll take Iggies because Barker shouldn't be in this division. Iggies by I don't care.
HARLEQUINS vs BLACKTOWN: This is another match moved, but from Waterloo to Glenwood. Blacktown will have some size, but Harlequins have class. I'm expecting a Harlequins win here. Keep an eye out for the fleet-footed, headgear-wearing fullback from Harlequins, Mitchell Gibbs. Has history in Division 2. Probably keen for a good showing. Harlequins by 12.
LINDFIELD vs RAPTORS: Things not looking good out in Raptor land. Not sure if this fixture will go ahead. I'm guessing Lindfield get the 28-0 win.
Hills by 33; Uni by 57; Newport by 9; Barker by 29; Harlequins by 20; Lindfield by 28. 5/6 for the Woodsman

GD_Maccabi

Frank Row (1)
The reason I did all this was because I get the feeling like if it was more localised, clubs like Maccabi, Clovelly, Engadine, Dundas Valley, Fairvale etc. (smaller clubs, based in predominantly League areas where games are all played within approx. 20 mins of your home ground) wouldn't have completely folded.

Clubs like Campbelltown and Hornsby would have left for other competitions where they aren't forced to field certain amounts of grades and playing across 3/4 of Sydney each Saturday.

Clubs like Brothers, Kings, Oatley etc. wouldn't struggle to find players. All 3 of those clubs fielded 4 or more senior grades in 2015, now all 3 have 1 senior grade.

Just food for thought...rugby is the only major sport that is run across the entire Sydney basin at an amateur level. Most other sports play localised competitions and are far more successful as a result (i.e. league play within districts no larger than a 20 min drive from the home field, soccer play within associations again usually no more than a 20 min drive from the home field).
Just for the record, Maccabi haven't folded - we're playing Halligan only this year because we leave for a competition in Israel in July and half of the team isn't coming back until after the season ends, so it didn't seem fair to leave a competition in the lurch for the back half of the season. We are planning to be back in Div 5/6 next year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Just for the record, Maccabi haven't folded - we're playing Halligan only this year because we leave for a competition in Israel in July and half of the team isn't coming back until after the season ends, so it didn't seem fair to leave a competition in the lurch for the back half of the season. We are planning to be back in Div 5/6 next year.
Similar story for convicts who have Bingham cup later in the year, I believe.