• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

LRUsoldier

Allen Oxlade (6)
Okay just looked up. Doesn't seem as bad as once thought. Mosman AFL has 350 participants, from minis to u17s

Mosman has 561 according to their 2020 annual report. Which is a marked increase from 2019. So its not to bad yet.

I believe Mosman AFL has a bigger area to draw from as well.

i have a nephew who plays afl at north shore bombers. if you like seeing grassroots, stroll on down to gore hill oval and watch the investment the afl puts into it.

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
they have informed tim richards that they will not have colts.

the board has met to look at options to replace eppings colts team in division 2 with another club.
I think Colts is the tip of the iceberg for Epping and there are bigger issues to come. Opposition clubs are frustrated and it will only grow the longer these questions remain unanswered. Clubs and players want certainty.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
We all wait with bated breath. Can I borrow a pitchfork for this witch-hunt?
it will probably be all of us in here hiding behind pseudonyms and untraceable names.
Looking forward to it.
The outcome will be the outcome. I guess we could just wait….

im hearing rumors that one club, using the ground of another club for a trial this weekend, is planning to push ahead as council have said ‘use at hirer’s discretion’.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
We all wait with bated breath. Can I borrow a pitchfork for this witch-hunt?
it will probably be all of us in here hiding behind pseudonyms and untraceable names.
Looking forward to it.
The outcome will be the outcome. I guess we could just wait….

im hearing rumors that one club, using the ground of another club for a trial this weekend, is planning to push ahead as council have said ‘use at hirer’s discretion’.
Safe to say there will be no trials played this weekend in Sydney.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
i have a nephew who plays afl at north shore bombers. if you like seeing grassroots, stroll on down to gore hill oval and watch the investment the afl puts into it.
Also killing it with the girls participation from minis through to seniors. We see Norths aren't putting out a Women's Rugby side but I'd say the Bombers have 30-40 seniors 5 mins away from North Sydney Oval.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Grounds are rapidly sinking, and chances of trial footy along with it.

We've called the trial at Headen Park off - I'm told that the local SES are filling sandbags in the carpark for local residents. Yeesh!

Last edited:

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Reliably hearing that Gordon are horarding a zillion colts this year. I know Shute Shield clubs offer better facilities than most subbies clubs. ( not all) but surely getting a run is more important than not. Has to be impacting colts numbers in the surrounding subbies clubs.

Following on from Crashys post I was just looking at the Warringah team sheets for tomorrow and makes for interesting reading as it highlights the challenge for rugby administrators. The Rats have named 15 reserves for 2nd and 3rd grade colts. If they all get half a game that means 30 players will play half a game. The reality though is half of them wont get a run at all. I'd hate to see the Gordon colts team sheets!!
Rats 4th grade grade aren't playing this week as Souths don't run a 4ths but I am hearing Rats have a squad of 25+ for 4th grade. Plenty of bench warming going on across Shute Shield no doubt this season.

This isnt a criticism of the Rats or Shute Shield, it just as I say highlighting the challenges for a code where partcipation is collapsing at every level from minis to schools to seniors yet we have a model where those who want to play are joining clubs where they may get little game time throughout the season. I get why they are joining them, but there has to be some overflow model otherwise more players will be lost to the game. Do Shute Shield and Subbies admin even talk or is it a turf war?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
yet we have a model where those who want to play

Good questions. My riposte is "do they?". Want to play, I mean.

I've noticed a tendency with the younger crowd to be seen to be doing something is about as important as actually doing it.

Probably a combination of wanting the odd run, as well as being with their mates, and then also getting sold a dream by the club they're joining.

there has to be some overflow model otherwise more players will be lost to the game. Do Shute Shield and Subbies admin even talk or is it a turf war?

This is the problem with rugby in the Sydney: two seniors Unions, one for Juniors, one for Womens Rugby. Four separate schools entities in the middle of it.

I've stated many times that alignment is needed. Shute Shield could easily become a higher level of rugby if it wanted to, with 2 Grades + Colts and a laser focus on high performance. The rest of the players and coaches, administrators etc. could align to Subbies clubs.

Last edited:

Footyhead67

Frank Row (1)
Div 3 Colts
IMG_7335.jpeg

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Following on from Crashys post I was just looking at the Warringah team sheets for tomorrow and makes for interesting reading as it highlights the challenge for rugby administrators. The Rats have named 15 reserves for 2nd and 3rd grade colts. If they all get half a game that means 30 players will play half a game. The reality though is half of them wont get a run at all. I'd hate to see the Gordon colts team sheets!!
Rats 4th grade grade aren't playing this week as Souths don't run a 4ths but I am hearing Rats have a squad of 25+ for 4th grade. Plenty of bench warming going on across Shute Shield no doubt this season.

This isnt a criticism of the Rats or Shute Shield, it just as I say highlighting the challenges for a code where partcipation is collapsing at every level from minis to schools to seniors yet we have a model where those who want to play are joining clubs where they may get little game time throughout the season. I get why they are joining them, but there has to be some overflow model otherwise more players will be lost to the game. Do Shute Shield and Subbies admin even talk or is it a turf war?
Spot on HeavyD.

The thought is that these guys who are sitting on the bench will make the decision to head to another club where they can get some proper game time but they don’t they just disappear and loose interest. As pfitzy has said it’s more about being round your mates than actually playing. Bloody expensive though.

The shute clubs all want some extra numbers to cover the mid year exodus or some injuries etc. but there is a limited pool of players and if the bigger clubs scoop them all up it makes it harder for the Subbies clubs to survive

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)

Great call HeavyD. Alot of players seemingly prefer to have the kit and say they play for the Rats or Stags rather than actual play the game. Cost of living doesnt seem as much of a problem for those guys who prefer to pay $500 rego for a Shute club than $200-300 for subbies. Or $150 as I saw Rouse Hill advertising.

Subbies and NSW Rugby might need to put their foot down regarding movement between Shute/Subbies. Its great to have Dual registration as a possibility - but not if the people in charge of those clubs/teams actively prevent it from occurring.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Spot on HeavyD.

The thought is that these guys who are sitting on the bench will make the decision to head to another club where they can get some proper game time but they don’t they just disappear and loose interest. As pfitzy has said it’s more about being round your mates than actually playing. Bloody expensive though.

The shute clubs all want some extra numbers to cover the mid year exodus or some injuries etc. but there is a limited pool of players and if the bigger clubs scoop them all up it makes it harder for the Subbies clubs to survive
Jinx???

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)

Suggestions are that Souths 4th grade had a number of unexpected no shows from last years squad.
Rumours are floating they could field a Colts 4 if needed.