• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Filipo Daugunu

Peter Burge (5)
In terms of standard of play for Jeffrey Cup, how would a middle-to-lower placed team in Jeffrey fair against 3rd/4th grade teams from Div 1 and 2? For example, how would Blacktown/Balmain go against 4th Grade St Pats or HH, and also how would Burraneer fair against 3rd Grade teams from Div 1?

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Any word from those clubs kicking off early preseason on early numbers yet?
I’d say mixed bag. Your clubs like Waverley are flying with 85 attending a Tuesday session. Then you’ve got the rumours that Hunters are struggling.
I think clubs are starting way to early. It might get you that extra 5% but I think you see the guys interest drop mid year when they’ve been going since Dec/Jan and the season doesn’t kick off till mid April.
Overall I think we will see a few clubs de rail Subbies plans to get back to the 8 team structure. Wether that is prior to the kick off the season like Raptors or a few rounds in like Manly. I think clubs will struggle to meet there requirements

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I’d say mixed bag. Your clubs like Waverley are flying with 85 attending a Tuesday session. Then you’ve got the rumours that Hunters are struggling.
I think clubs are starting way to early. It might get you that extra 5% but I think you see the guys interest drop mid year when they’ve been going since Dec/Jan and the season doesn’t kick off till mid April.
Overall I think we will see a few clubs de rail Subbies plans to get back to the 8 team structure. Wether that is prior to the kick off the season like Raptors or a few rounds in like Manly. I think clubs will struggle to meet there requirements

I know the Breakers don't start until the 22nd of February which I think feels about right with its first trial 4 weeks later. They have had around 30 of the super keen going since mid January for the 7s squad for upcoming tournaments this week and next. Id say for those that have already kicked off its only the 8th of Feb and it has been super hot so Im sure that's kept a few away so hard to speculate its panic stations just yet.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We were running touch footy from December for those that wanted it.

We officially started preseason the week after Australia Day, After 2 sessions the numbers are what we consider good. Nothing like the big clubs, but in line with what we want.

Timing as always is the thing - got some guys still playing rep touch, cricket, or other sports who can't make Wednesdays at this point. Clubs doing a 7s pre-season as Heavyd says above probably won't get much value out of full XVs training until later this month.

I think Premier Clubs can probably still mandate starting in December or early January, but amateur rugby? Anything before Australia Day runs into school/uni holidays, beach days, etc. Not worth the effort.

Some clubs have only just started posting up player recruitment stuff, probably based on season not starting until 2 months from now.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
I know the Breakers don't start until the 22nd of February which I think feels about right with its first trial 4 weeks later. They have had around 30 of the super keen going since mid January for the 7s squad for upcoming tournaments this week and next. Id say for those that have already kicked off its only the 8th of Feb and it has been super hot so Im sure that's kept a few away so hard to speculate its panic stations just yet.
I hope you're right Heavy D. You were blaming trips to Europe last year for low numbers, and the Surfboat season the year before..

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I hope you're right Heavy D. You were blaming trips to Europe last year for low numbers, and the Surfboat season the year before..
Turn it up Crashy!!
In 2022 we won the Barraclough, CCs and were 3rd in Cowboy Cup along with all teams in the semis.

I’m barracking for every club to have great numbers (including the Breakers) as the game is in decline and the pool gets smaller. I’m even cheering for a BOBs resurgence.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Quick story from another sport:

This club was struggling with securing volunteers. Their junior program was suffering as there was nobody to fill bottles, pick up gear, coach younger teams etc. Club was losing numbers across all ages and abilities. Club introduced a "+ 1 thing" policy for senior players. Playing for the club meant you had to nominate a club task that you could choose from in order to register and play with them. After some initial grumblings, the club has grown in all membership categories and as a result, the "+ 1 thing" component of your registration is now less of a commitment as there are more people able to help.

Much easier said than done and it took a lot of work by a committed core of club stalwarts to get this going, but once it did, it took off.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
I see a lot of clubs around my area have kicked off their preseason. Beecroft, Epping and Hornsby have been going for a couple weeks, gearing up for big seasons. I see Hornsby advertising for 3 mens sides.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
After some initial grumblings, the club has grown in all membership categories and as a result, the "+ 1 thing" component of your registration is now less of a commitment as there are more people able to help.

Exactly - many hands make light work and all that.

Great concept too: "+1 thing"

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Newport going down in the final of the 7s to Hornsby.

Congrats to Hornsby who came from behind to beat a sharp Parkes rugby outfit in the semis too. Newport losing two in the bin all but assured the result but they'll be happy to bank the $2k runners up cheque and hopefully no injuries.

The 7s comp now moves to Rat Park on Saturday where the Breakers and Hornsby will be joined by Hunters Hill, Drummoyne & Forest.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Subs for 2024 appear to be in the $250-$300 range with costs increasing being passed on. I see Shute Shield is $400-$450.

lets hope there are no further levys coming down from the bankrupt RA

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Subs for 2024 appear to be in the $250-$300 range with costs increasing being passed on. I see Shute Shield is $400-$450.

I wonder what the collection rate is.

All well and good to try and collect via RugbyXplorer, but some guys don't have credit cards, and some don't even have debit cards that will allow online processing. And they wouldn't register if you asked them to pay up front.

BTW Renegades for 2024 is still $150 ;)

Insurance for Subbies only increased $60 per team. Small mercies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
lets hope there are no further levys coming down from the bankrupt RA

This is the other thing to consider: if that fee was brought in to cover some issues at the time, is it still relevant?

Across Subbies, it is $1k per grade. That doesn't even make $150k for RA, so it isn't like it's solving a multi-million dollar hole.