• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Probably just shoring up numbers. I guess with injuries, music festivals ;) and other such social engagements you'd need about 25-30 Colts to survive a full season?

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
At least. Plus multiple front rowers. When they leave (bucks, music festival, holidays etc) they tend to go in bulk as colts' teams are generally made up of a few large groups of mates.

Bismarck12345

Stan Wickham (3)
Would be keen to hear people’s predictions for Div 1 and 2 now that preseason is well underway. Particularly interested in how people think the clubs that have moved up/down will fare. Think there could be some surprises in store and am hoping there are teams that would prove the gap isn’t that far. How do people think the Div 2 heavyweights will go against the dropped div 1 teams. Will lindfield have a proper tilt?

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)
Predictions for Div 1

1. Drummoyne
2. Waverley
3. Blue Mountains
4. Colleagues
5. Hunters Hill
6. Mosman
7. Lindfield
8. Forest

Predictions for Div 2

1. St Pats
2. Petersham
3. UNSW
4. Newport
5. Hills
6. Beecroft
7. Epping
8. Briars

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Would be keen to hear people’s predictions for Div 1 and 2 now that preseason is well underway. Particularly interested in how people think the clubs that have moved up/down will fare. Think there could be some surprises in store and am hoping there are teams that would prove the gap isn’t that far. How do people think the Div 2 heavyweights will go against the dropped div 1 teams. Will lindfield have a proper tilt?
Predictions - St Pats to have qualified to return to Div 1 mid way through the season.

Lindfield to surprise a few in the lower grades, which may do enough to keep them in the top division. Will jag a win or 2 in 1st grade, but can see a few players drop off once the wins dry up.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Predictions - St Pats to have qualified to return to Div 1 mid way through the season.

Lindfield to surprise a few in the lower grades, which may do enough to keep them in the top division. Will jag a win or 2 in 1st grade, but can see a few players drop off once the wins dry up.

St Pats to go through undefeated in every grade and clean sweep GF day.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
1st grade trials this weekend.
1710291652525.png

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Predictions for Div 1

1. Drummoyne
2. Waverley
3. Blue Mountains
4. Colleagues
5. Hunters Hill
6. Mosman
7. Lindfield
8. Forest

Predictions for Div 2

1. St Pats
2. Petersham
3. UNSW
4. Newport
5. Hills
6. Beecroft
7. Epping
8. Briars

Div 1 looks like it could be a likely scenario. Lindfield will definately be more than competitive in the lower grades. as previously flagged a lot will depend on their tight 5 recruitment as to how they go in Kentwell. Any word on how Forest are shaping up for 2024?

In Div2 I'm hearing some good things out of UNSW this year around player numbers and over quality. You'd also have to expect with 500,000 backpackers hitting our shores that Petersham should have plenty of UK talent to deploy.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
St Pats to go through undefeated in every grade and clean sweep GF day.
Heavy D I can’t wait for this to happen and watch people on here loose there shit over the decision to put St Pats in Div 2. It will fill the forums for months with all the unhappy people

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Heavy D I can’t wait for this to happen and watch people on here loose there shit over the decision to put St Pats in Div 2. It will fill the forums for months with all the unhappy people

Certainly a lot of pressure on Mosman to have a strong year given it should of been them down in Div 2.

Petersham, UNSW and Newport will not be push overs for the allegedly unbeatable St Pats.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Certainly a lot of pressure on Mosman to have a strong year given it should of been them down in Div 2.

Petersham, UNSW and Newport will not be push overs for the allegedly unbeatable St Pats.
Agree. I'd say St Pats are on to win probably 2 grades. Considering they have a very strong colts grouping coming through. But all this chat about them sweeping the comp I doubt very highly.

Div 2 looks like it will be a great comp this year with St Pats adding some extra depth to the big dogs of the comp UNSW and Newport. Plus the addition of Petersham. Its looking like it will be really strong and competitive.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
....as a side note.
Added 2024 to the data, assuming a full complement of teams for each Division/Club, we are down 3 teams from 2023.
edit: added 2005 and a hypothetical max.
1710386810699.png

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
For the 2023 count I'd look at the changing the following - Halligan and Radford not counted:

DIV 1 = 52 - I'd take out Waverley from Barbour Cup as they only played 2 games. Petersham didn't contest Sutherland.
DIV 2 = 33 - Only 5 clubs contested Richardson Cup.
DIV 3 = 20 - Savers weren't fielding 2s for most of the year

I'm calling 2023 as 137 teams in that case but you could make the case for more

------------------------------

In 2024 we have added Hornsby which is instantly +2 teams.

Div 4 will be 8-clubs = 16 Grades - two to be shifted from the current Div 5 listing to fill those two slots. That leaves 13 clubs in Div 5 at this point.

So we get 48 + 40 + 24 + 16 + 13 = 141 teams total.

Therefore I've got an increase of 4. All based off tables of course - shit could hit the fan any week if clubs have agreed to X Grades in Jan/Feb and the numbers dried up :(

Let it sing

Stan Wickham (3)
Am looking forward to the season kicking off.

If you ignore all the noise I believe the 8/8/8 structure is only going to increase competition and ideally see the standard promotion/relegation battle that sets Subbies aside from Shute Shield.

Predictions - Div 1: Colleagues. Nearest challenger Blue Mountains and the smokey Lindfield

Div 2: Petersham. Nearest challenger Newport/UNSW and smokey St Pats

Hope to see the same level of excitement that we have seen so far in Super Rugby where it is anyone’s game