• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
There is not as much as you may think. A few years ago we decided to branch out to the Northern Saints to try to appeal to a wider audience of players on the North Shore. Upon an honest review, the name change did very little to help with this, and if anything, numbers were possibly even lighter on. With this in mind, and a long long history of the club, it was a consistent feeling across the club to go back to our heritage, both senior and junior.
Love it. Can you have a chat to Parramatta Two Blues?

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Finally time to talk about the serious stuff and not how many teams the lower divisions have. Hopefully the rain forecast doesn’t spoil anything.

Drummoyne v Colleagues- Colleagues juggernaut to continue in the lower grades and be too strong but Drummoyne to pip them in 1s by 3
Mountains v Hunters Hill- won’t be a good day for our old mate Eastcoast and Lapstone. Big day for the Mountains boys in memory of there mate who they lost, will be a lot of emotion Mountains to sweep Hunters in everything except Colts.
Mosman v Waverley - Battle of the numbers, two huge clubs and will be even all day. Waverley have looked strong all pre season with huge numbers so I expect them to run away with this in the end and continue the build to the greatest day of the year Waverley ladies day.
Lindfield v Forrest- Could be a tough year for these clubs looking at the size of the other clubs. Bit of rain around will turn Old Solider into a mud bath. Will tip the Lindfield boys as I’ve seen how they lift at home. Lindfield by 5

The Ghost of Bernie

Stan Wickham (3)
I'll have a crack at Div 3 tips.

Sydney Irish V Old Barker
In speaking with a few of the Barker boys last week none of them had played at Latham Park. Told them to pack the Betadine or if they are a child of the 70's or 80's pack the Mercurochrome.

Knox v Sydney Harliquins
Solid away win against Hawkesbury a valley and Quins going down against against likely competition favourites Sydney Harbour. Tight one at Loftberg. Could be match of the round at the former home of KWP. Remember them?

Sydney Harbour v Hawkesbury Valley
Lyne Park I reckon is the shortest ground in Subbies. Although the canteen there Catalina is top notch grub and once again last year Lyne Park voted best ground in Subbies for Seaplane parking.

Lane Cove Old Ignatians v Merrylands
Well if I'm going to tip all home sides..
LCOI up for the challenge of Merrylands with our 9/10 combo on fire last week. Merrylands will no doubt have a sizable forward pack. And Tantallon looking picture perfect with a nice covering of grass on the pitch with plenty of bound off a nice length..

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 2 Tips

Hills v Beecroft - Hills had a great win at the death and will look to carry on the form into this week, seems like they have plenty of points in them. Expect Beecroft to be much improved with most of the 10 or so players missing against Newport first graders. Should be a great game but I expect Hills to take it home late. Hills by 7.

Briars v Petersham - A lot of chat about some strong recruiting at Concord so it will be interesting to see if Briars are improved this season. Shammies with a good win against a contender last week so no reason not to back them away from home. Petersham by 12.

Newport v UNSW - Game of the round I reckon. UNSW will be stinging after throwing a win away last week and will need to hope their defence improves significantly if they want to have a chance here. It’ll be a battle, but a loud Newport crowd should get them home. Newport by 5.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'll have a crack at Div 3 tips.

Sydney Irish V Old Barker
In speaking with a few of the Barker boys last week none of them had played at Latham Park. Told them to pack the Betadine or if they are a child of the 70's or 80's pack the Mercurochrome.

Knox v Sydney Harliquins
Solid away win against Hawkesbury a valley and Quins going down against against likely competition favourites Sydney Harbour. Tight one at Loftberg. Could be match of the round at the former home of KWP. Remember them?

Sydney Harbour v Hawkesbury Valley
Lyne Park I reckon is the shortest ground in Subbies. Although the canteen there Catalina is top notch grub and once again last year Lyne Park voted best ground in Subbies for Seaplane parking.

Lane Cove Old Ignatians v Merrylands
Well if I'm going to tip all home sides..
LCOI up for the challenge of Merrylands with our 9/10 combo on fire last week. Merrylands will no doubt have a sizable forward pack. And Tantallon looking picture perfect with a nice covering of grass on the pitch with plenty of bound off a nice length..
Quins weren't bad at all against Oysters last week. Lost the game in first half due to poor defence on back of kicks. Fixed it in the second half and won the half.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fourth Div:
Kings v Renegades - we're carrying a few injuries from last week which hopefully come good. Hopefully got enough experience and size to hold out a youthful Kings outfit. Numbers are a little short this week. Phone calls are being made. Texts are being typed with wild abandon...

Hornsby v Chatswood - it'll be a fast game I reckon. Youth on both sides and a lot of rugby nous. Hornsby to just have a bit too much here.

Canterbury v Wakehurst - Berries at home will be good value. Wakehurst won against Redfield last week but the ROBRs only had 23 for two grades so hard to get a fix on that.

Raptors v Redfield - will mostly depend on Redfield's numbers, and Raptors' discipline - a few back to back penalties for technical infringements and Redfield can hurt you.

Last edited:

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
I believe its a group of mates who played footy at shute shield and loosely went to school together?
Could be one of the most dominant sides/clubs in terms of wins and losses that Subbies have ever seen that will disappear in a few years.

Would be an interesting stat to see. Which club has the best win to matches played record. If you look at individual teams/eras, The Redfield team of the mid 2010s were almost unbeatable with the talent they had. A number of those boys would make a Subbies team of the decade.

Pfitzy there’s something fun for the board to do and much more important than working out divisions . How about they put out a Subbies team of the decade. 100% not destined to cause issues

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sydney Harbour history

YearDivisionPWDLFADfBPPts
2020^Five770025472182634
2021*Four7601373102271832
2022Four1414005741404341268
2023Three1211014811992821155
2024TDThree110040211915
TOTAL4139021722534118838194
Averages95%0%5%42132915
WDLFADfBPPts

^ 2020 started late due to COVID
* 2021 was truncated due to COVID

In 2021 the Oysters lost to Redfield 28-29 in Round 4 at Lyne Park.
In 2023 they lost to Beecroft 33-7 in Round 5 at Headen - the only time they've ever failed to take competition points from a match.

They've scored a winning BP in every victory except the 12-10 win over Epping in the pouring rain in 2022 (R9 @ Woollahra #1).

With an average winning margin of 29 and a defense that averages < 14, that's a pretty decent record for 3 Premierships.

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Sydney Harbour history

YearDivisionPWDLFADfBPPts
2020^Five770025472182634
2021*Four7601373102271832
2022Four1414005741404341268
2023Three1211014811992821155
2024TDThree110040211915
TOTAL4139021722534118838194
Averages95%0%5%42132915
WDLFADfBPPts

^ 2020 started late due to COVID
* 2021 was truncated due to COVID

In 2021 the Oysters lost to Redfield 28-29 in Round 4 at Lyne Park.
In 2023 they lost to Beecroft 33-7 in Round 5 at Headen - the only time they've ever failed to take competition points from a match.

They've scored a winning BP in every victory except the 12-10 win over Epping in the pouring rain in 2022 (R9 @ Woollahra #1).

With an average winning margin of 29 and a defense that averages < 14, that's a pretty decent record for 3 Premierships.
They also lost 25-20 to Beecroft in the major semi final last year. Is that their only finals loss?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
DIV 1
Lindfield vs Forest: Lindfield dominated Div 2 last year and will give a solid account of themselves, Forest beat Drummoyne in the last game of their season to avoid relegation. Word is its much the same as last year at Melwood with no new arrivals of note, meanwhile Old Soldier continues to build recruitment and momentum. I can see a Lindfield clean sweep here with first grade winning by 7. Could be a tough 2024 for Forest.

Dirty Reds vs Colleagues: Tough tipping first up with little form to assist, but Im going to go with the home side to overcome the tossers from the east. Should be a belting down of footy across the grades with a Dirty Reds Victory by 5.

Mosman vs Waverley: What does 2024 hold for the Whales? We will find out on Saturday! Apparently they have 6 grades with colts as far as the eye can see. But, Im going to go with Waverley to ruin the home ground party and get the win in winding and wet conditions. Waverley by 10.

Blue Mountains v Hunters Hill: Div 1 MOTR. Last years Kentwell Cup grand final rematch kicks of a big arvo, will be keen to see how many of the big boppers mountains have retained. based on the thought they have I will go with a Mountains victory in a physical forward battle

Bismarck12345

Stan Wickham (3)
Div 2 Tips

Hills v Beecroft - Hills had a great win at the death and will look to carry on the form into this week, seems like they have plenty of points in them. Expect Beecroft to be much improved with most of the 10 or so players missing against Newport first graders. Should be a great game but I expect Hills to take it home late. Hills by 7.

Briars v Petersham - A lot of chat about some strong recruiting at Concord so it will be interesting to see if Briars are improved this season. Shammies with a good win against a contender last week so no reason not to back them away from home. Petersham by 12.

Newport v UNSW - Game of the round I reckon. UNSW will be stinging after throwing a win away last week and will need to hope their defence improves significantly if they want to have a chance here. It’ll be a battle, but a loud Newport crowd should get them home. Newport by 5.
Feels as though Newport and UNSW have developed quite the rivalry over the last few years.

From memory, I don’t think Newport has beaten UNSW in any recent round games and UNSW was the only team to beat them the year they won the Barraclough. Yet Newport has stung them come finals time and I know UNSW won’t have forgotten that. Always a good game to watch, don’t know who will win!