• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 2

Hills vs Beecroft:
Good to see 4 grades playing across the day, so am assuming Beecroft will run their colts against 3s or 4s. Given Hills heroics against UNSW last week I cannot go past them to continue on their winning ways. Hills by 14

Briars vs Petersham: The division will be watching on to see if Briars have managed to recruit what has been speculated. Either way I am going to go with a Shammies win here, potentially comfortably.

Newport vs UNSW: Early season bus trip for UNSW so will be interested to see what this years theme is? The Breakers caused the upset of the season last year to beat Uni into the GF. Newport scrum issues have been remedied in Barraclough, and gave Beecroft a mauling in the set piece last week. Even with a bit of wet weather around this has all the ingredients for a cracker with UNSW looking to bounce back after last weeks boilover. Looks like 4 grades +colts + ladies 10's taking the field so should be a bumper crowd. Hopefully the rain doesn't spoil the party. I think Newport, given the home ground advantage should just get up but say that more with hope than certainty. Newport by 7.

CrashBandicoot

Frank Row (1)
Sydney Harbour history

YearDivisionPWDLFADfBPPts
2020^Five770025472182634
2021*Four7601373102271832
2022Four1414005741404341268
2023Three1211014811992821155
2024TDThree110040211915
TOTAL4139021722534118838194
Averages95%0%5%42132915
WDLFADfBPPts

^ 2020 started late due to COVID
* 2021 was truncated due to COVID

In 2021 the Oysters lost to Redfield 28-29 in Round 4 at Lyne Park.
In 2023 they lost to Beecroft 33-7 in Round 5 at Headen - the only time they've ever failed to take competition points from a match.

They've scored a winning BP in every victory except the 12-10 win over Epping in the pouring rain in 2022 (R9 @ Woollahra #1).

With an average winning margin of 29 and a defense that averages < 14, that's a pretty decent record for 3 Premierships.
Don’t forget Epping missed a drop goal that hit the cross bar with about 3 to go. Benny Elias all over again. Horrible conditions to play rugby in.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Its not a Friday until Eastcoast has the Div 1 results for everyone to read about before the games kick off.

DIV 1
Lindfield vs Forest: Ill back Forest here. Div 1 is a different kettle of fish and I think Lindfield will find their Div 2 tactics wont be as effective in Kentwell. They could win most of the lower grade games though. However I think the Forest boys will leave Old Soldier with a valuable early season win. Forest by 3

Dirty Reds vs Colleagues: Colleagues are always strong. Very hard to tip against them at any time throughout the year. Drummoyne will warm up through the year, although I feel Colleagues will get the jump on them. Tight game. Colleagues by 3

Mosman vs Waverley: Waverley have been boasting strong numbers as well over the pre season and they always have very good quality from local lads as well as bringing in some great overseas talent. Mosman may struggle to make the top 4 this year pending recruitment. Waverley by 5

Blue Mountains v Hunters Hill: GF Rematch. This should be a cracking game on a potentially cold and wet Lapstone. Expect big hits and big plays. HH will come away with the victory and commence the Kentwell campaign on a high. HH by 1

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Its not a Friday until Eastcoast has the Div 1 results for everyone to read about before the games kick off.

DIV 1
Lindfield vs Forest: Ill back Forest here. Div 1 is a different kettle of fish and I think Lindfield will find their Div 2 tactics wont be as effective in Kentwell. They could win most of the lower grade games though. However I think the Forest boys will leave Old Soldier with a valuable early season win. Forest by 3

Dirty Reds vs Colleagues: Colleagues are always strong. Very hard to tip against them at any time throughout the year. Drummoyne will warm up through the year, although I feel Colleagues will get the jump on them. Tight game. Colleagues by 3

Mosman vs Waverley: Waverley have been boasting strong numbers as well over the pre season and they always have very good quality from local lads as well as bringing in some great overseas talent. Mosman may struggle to make the top 4 this year pending recruitment. Waverley by 5

Blue Mountains v Hunters Hill: GF Rematch. This should be a cracking game on a potentially cold and wet Lapstone. Expect big hits and big plays. HH will come away with the victory and commence the Kentwell campaign on a high. HH by 1

Lindfield's achille's has always been their tight 5 in 1s. We will know by 4.45pm tomorrow if that has been remedied.

Heure

Frank Nicholson (4)
What the actual fuck is this bs Subbies have conjured up… Epping not contesting first grade, fire them into the sun for all I care. At this point you may as well promote Sydney Harbour so they can run around in a decent comp instead of winning the Mickey Mouse cup every year.

excuse me id like to remind you of the forum rules - no hard truths to be spoken.

crApping have been woeful for years and it sums up not only Australian rugby, but Australian rugby administration to let a club participate without fielding a first XV - have you ever? No I have not is the answer.

Week 2 and the season a shambles already, my prediction is that the board will reignite fitzy gag order soon.

Heure

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ag
Finally time to talk about the serious stuff and not how many teams the lower divisions have. Hopefully the rain forecast doesn’t spoil anything.

Drummoyne v Colleagues- Colleagues juggernaut to continue in the lower grades and be too strong but Drummoyne to pip them in 1s by 3
Mountains v Hunters Hill- won’t be a good day for our old mate Eastcoast and Lapstone. Big day for the Mountains boys in memory of there mate who they lost, will be a lot of emotion Mountains to sweep Hunters in everything except Colts.
Mosman v Waverley - Battle of the numbers, two huge clubs and will be even all day. Waverley have looked strong all pre season with huge numbers so I expect them to run away with this in the end and continue the build to the greatest day of the year Waverley ladies day.
Lindfield v Forrest- Could be a tough year for these clubs looking at the size of the other clubs. Bit of rain around will turn Old Solider into a mud bath. Will tip the Lindfield boys as I’ve seen how they lift at home. Lindfield by 5
Agee with the big Arvo here.

just a reminder for everyone please do not post predictions for div 2 or 3 etc as no one cares thank you.

Champagne Rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
just a reminder for everyone please do not post predictions for div 2 or 3 etc as no one cares thank you.
Noted

Div 2 Predictions
Hills v Beecroft: Expecting a hills pack to make it a tough day for the Beecroft forwards, however with colts providing a bench and supposedly the whole of Beecroft returning (feel this is probably overstated), expecting Beecroft to show to much speed in the backs, expecting it to be a see sawing affair with Beecroft by 8.

Briars v Petersham: Briars were close to wooden spoon last year and that is the only form whereas Petersham had a win against the pre-season favourites, have to pick Petersham on that form. Petersham by 17.

Newport v UNSW: The undefeated match up, both teams coming off wins, this will be a tougher contest for Newport particularly in the forwards and they will look to rely on their quick backs and a home ground advantage, against a team that is strong across the park. Home ground advantage will be enough to sneak Newport home by 3.

Honourary 1st Grade matchup Pats v Epping: Epping St Pat's 2nd grade were good last week and which backs up their 2023 form, expecting pats by 12.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)

DIV 1

Surely someone on here has the skills to set up a Subbies tipping comp so we can see how much truth there is to the dribble each week. Pfitzy get the board onto the important stuff!

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Something a bit different for your Friday. Anyone want to have a go at Picking a Subbies Team of the decade? Would be mostly guys from Div 1 but some of the boys from the dominant Redfield and Harbour teams might be a shot. I’m sure Heavy D has a list of Newport boys for the team.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hello lightweightD - are you expecting the Port to go unbeaten at snorters reserve this year?

No big calls from me this early but I will say they will be a difficult prospect for away teams. If it isnt too wet tomorrow they could well test the clubs beer fridge stocks.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Div 1 results.

1713597062840.png