• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
In Division 2, you have Epping, Hills, Beecroft not 'meeting the required 4 grades and colts'. Don't think you can keep Division 2 as it is. Either the requirements have to change or the clubs do.
There’s clubs in the mighty Div 1 that haven’t met there requirements. It happens and being able to manage it each year is important.
You take any of those sides out of Div 2 without someone to fill the gap 5 grades have a bye instead of just the one.
It’s not perfect but if you don’t help clubs maNage through the tough times the holes in the divisions just get bigger until the division isn’t viable

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It’s not perfect but if you don’t help clubs maNage through the tough times the holes in the divisions just get bigger until the division isn’t viable

Or for example you force Epping to play First Grade and basically destroy a club. This way there is an opportunity to stem the flow and allow them to manage a transition into something more workable.

Knox a few years ago told Subbies they were still good for First Div. We saw how that panned out.

Kings in years previous refused to take a knee and slip down a division or two. We saw how that panned out.

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
Still think some of these issues could have been addressed earlier. Epping's significant problems would have been fairly obvious weeks if not months before Round 1 yet the competition doesn't get reshuffled until literally days before the season starts.

I see Colleagues 2nd colts are back in the draw in place of Hills and are listed to play St Pat's this week. Provided there are no further last minute withdrawals, I'm glad this has been resolved for Round 4. What happens though to UNSW, Newport and Beecroft who missed out on the club championship and competition points on offer from their "bye" in round 1-3? Hills not having colts was no surprise to anyone following their trials.

rugbynut2010

Bob McCowan (2)
Question from Div 5 for the wise men of this forum: Blacktown are currently showing up on Fusesport with 2 bonus point wins but only 8 points. Does anyone know whether this is an error or am I missing someth

I believe they have been penalised and docked points for an incident in Rd 1.
Any more news about this? Heard there behaviour was really bad in game and maybe further penalties against them

LongTimeListener

Bob McCowan (2)
Or for example you force Epping to play First Grade and basically destroy a club. This way there is an opportunity to stem the flow and allow them to manage a transition into something more workable.

Knox a few years ago told Subbies they were still good for First Div. We saw how that panned out.

Kings in years previous refused to take a knee and slip down a division or two. We saw how that panned out.
Great example. Knox stayed up and pride (or other reasons) have led to a downfall. One or two too many seasons "Cluching" at straws.

RE: Epping not playing 1s.... Blokes getting flogged by 50 each week will quit the game entirely. Agreed. That being said not fielding a 1s means that Epping's 2s are their best 15 players? Yes Epping has only won 1/3 in Stockdale but if they make the finals over the 16-30th best guys in another club is that not an unfair comp? Lucky they aren't top of the table and Premiership bound as of yet.. I'd be pissed off if I was in the Stockdale and lost to Epping

ON A MORE SYSTEMATIC NOTE

It seems that clubs are making assumptions on player numbers in December/January when the players are thinking about everything BUT rugby. Some players are lucky to make a pre-season session until March. The reality is that with rugbys' somewhat limp relationship with the community, its harder and harder to forecast numbers.

Its annoying but the mid year regrade seems to be the only option here. How does this make for an even club championship? Fuck knows.. How the board aims to level this playing field so that playing in Div 3 and carving up for the first half of the season doesn't give you a leg up? Fuck knows... How does playing in Div 1 and dropping down not ruin your chances for the remainder of the season? Fuck knows.

But simply what clubs are expecting in Summer and what the reality is in Winter, is the issue. I don't actually think clubs are able to make that call so early in the campaign.. Knowing some of the blokes at Epping, I am almost certain they had every reason to believe they had the numbers so I don't think they could have done any better with the info they had. Its just the state of rugby and competition structures are suffering.

Tough but need a modern approach here.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Its annoying but the mid year regrade seems to be the only option here. How does this make for an even club championship? Fuck knows.. How the board aims to level this playing field so that playing in Div 3 and carving up for the first half of the season doesn't give you a leg up? Fuck knows... How does playing in Div 1 and dropping down not ruin your chances for the remainder of the season? Fuck knows.

In junior sport regrading is standard, but so is only having a month of your draw at a time.

Rugby League operates on squads. You have X players in your U14 team and after ?6? weeks you might get regraded. In that scenario the team is part of a club but decoupled from the club on game day.

Is that an option for rugby? If your club has over 100 people registered you've technically got enough for 6 teams with a bench.

Like you said: tough, but needs a modern approach. Not sure the admin is there.

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
The weather won't deter a few tips for this week!

DIV 1
Waverley v Forest - Ladies Day postponed for Waverley but the lads will have their eye on the prize with no distraction. Waverley by 20+. Colts the only game falling for Forest.

Mosman v Lindfield - Mosman look to have rediscovered their form. Whales in a canter. Mosman by 13.

Hunters Hill v Colleagues - Both teams slow out of the blocks in 2024 but have come up against good opposition. Hunters Hill by 2 for no other reason than home ground advantage.

Blue Mountains v Drummoyne - Match of the Round with both club 2-0 to start the year. Should be a fiery contest but backing the Mountain Men to get the job done at Lapstone. Goats by 12.

DIV 2
Epping 1s v Beecroft 2s - Will be a seesawing affair at Somerville but backing the Rams to secure their second win of the season. Epping by 5.

Hills v St Pat's - Hard to pick with both sides having a mixed start to the year. Hills have been flying close to the sun and were burnt by Newport last week. Pat's to get the win in a scrap. Pats by 7.

Newport v Briars - Match of the Round with Newport undefeated against a resurgent Briars, who may be reading their own press. Hard to go past Newport at the moment and back them to get the points. Newport by 10.

Petersham v UNSW - An interesting one with both clubs probably disappointed with the opening rounds. UNSW have been close but have let themselves down. Could be a tight game but will go Petersham by 4.

Last edited:

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Division 2 Round 4

Hills v St Pats - No great escape for Hills last week after getting dispatched by a fitter Newport side at home. Pats were comfortable enough in a controlled victory over Briars and I think they’ll have enough to get up away from home. Pats by 7.

Newport v Briars - Wet conditions could keep the score line close but Newport have looked too good lately to go against them. Briars will need to step up big time to get a result here. Newport by 14.

UNSW v Petersham - Not many would’ve predicted UNSW to be 0-3 but they’ve proven to be pretty disappointing so far this season. Petersham coming off the bye will be well rested for this clash and looking to get back in the mix after a loss to Briars. Petersham by 3.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 4 Round 4 - wet weather to play a big part this weekend.

Chatswood v Redfield - backing the stags here. Slow start for the ROBRs so far this year, but numbers are starting to come back.

Renegades v Canterbury - so close last week to pulling out a miracle win against Chatswood, we're still missing a few people and there are a few asterisks on the team sheet. Can't pick it.

Hornsby v Raptors - short road trip for the Raptors and I reckon they'll turn Hornsby over. Both sides undefeated and even with the drizzle it'll be a good game.

Wakehurst v Kings - Wakehurst have had a couple of hard weeks on the road but should be OK to play at home. Kings are a decent side so backing them to get a first win.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Div 1 Tips.

Waverley v Forest -Waverley to continue on their way. Bombed a few tries last week but still were too good. Forest always give a good account for themselves, however I cant see them winning this one. Disappointing to cancel Ladies Day, but the show must roll on. Waves by 12

Mosman
v Lindfield. Mosman look to have a strong 1st grade side this year with a good forward back and potent backs. Lindfield were lucky to only have 46 put on them last week from the footage. First up contact was on the back foot and there were alot of gaps that Waverley didnt take full advantage off despite the scoreline. I can see Lindfield scoring a few more points though this week as their attack appears their strength. Mosman by 14

HH
v Colleagues - HH to bounce back this week. A few balls not going to hand last week was the difference between a win and a loss. Colleagues threw everything at Blueys but couldnt crack the defence. This game will be another high quality affair. HH by 3

Blue Mountains
v Drummoyne - This could be the MOTR. Drummoyne have alot of skill and flair in their time whilst maintaining a good structure. I feel that the size of Blue Mountains will overpower them. Blueys werent at the best last week but still won by 30, which should worry the competition. Drummoyne will keep it close up to the 60th but blueys to run away with it late. Blue Mountains by 14

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It hasn't rained out here in the west much at all.

Field of Dreams was delightfully firm when I went up there this morning.

Plus, Canterbury are coming to us tomorrow and as Wills Ground never closes, I want ours to be open!

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
I remember around 20 + years ago at Wills between Knox Old Boys (KNOBS) and Canterbury. Some smart arse KNOB gave some chat - Canterbury shut the gates so no-one could get out and beat the shit (or attempted) of every black, blue and white clad player stuck inside the ground.
Ther'es footage floating around somewhere as a knox player was filming it - the camera was shaking he was so scared and the mic picked up the filmer saying óh fuck, oh fuck....''
Those were the days!

I do recall playing Canterbury in the late 90s and being served stew and rice afterwards the pub - so good.

The Ghost of Bernie

Stan Wickham (3)
Division 3 tips.

Merrylands v Sydney Harbour
Match of the Round.
Although a home game for Merrylands can't go past Sydney Harbour.

Hawkesbury Valley v LCOI
Game has been transferred from Tantallon to way out west where the rain don't fall (Got a job with the company drilling for oil) to McQuade Park. LCOI looking for 2nd win of the year.

Following two games have been postponed to next week as both Waterloo and Turramurra Ovals, with cricket pitches, are Quagmires (Giggity).

Sydney Harliquins v Sydney Irish
Sydney Irish in top form and undefeated. Quality players with numbers to burn.

Old Barker v Knox
I see what I've done here. Tipping all the away sides and won't change that here. Barker yet to get a dub.