• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Suburban city councils and rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
= no rugby.
Does anyone remember rugby in mud? Its seems its not allowed anymore, rain, council closes ground.
Is Brisbane as bad?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can't blame them, it completely ruins the ground. Sydney has received a shit load of rain lately, I can see some games being called off.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
It almost happens whenever there is ANY rain. Lost count of how many times training has been cancelled this season.
Maybe the grounds need better maintenance, they certainly dont mind when they are a dustbowl and players are losing strips of skin like only 2 weeks ago

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Would love to be playin this weekend but no chance whatsoever with more than 24hrs of rain. Only chance to play in proper rain is if it starts after the councils head home on a friday at about 1

Reactions: DPK

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Our ground sucks at the best of times. To quote Jake Shatz "it's like a cow paddock".

If they didn't cancel games, there would just be pissing and moaning that rate payers money is being wasted fixing them.

Cancelling a game because of rain from a rugby stand point sounds sissy to be honest. I respect it probably is for Sydney but I find it funny 100mm in 2 days is considered a lot of rain.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Our ground sucks at the best of times. To quote Jake Shatz "it's like a cow paddock".

If they didn't cancel games, there would just be pissing and moaning that rate payers money is being wasted fixing them.

Cancelling a game because of rain from a rugby stand point sounds sissy to be honest. I respect it probably is for Sydney but I find it funny 100mm in 2 days is considered a lot of rain.

In Brisbane or Darwin? Ive played in Darwin when the season was in the wet, there would be no rugby all season if they cancelled because of rain.
It isnt a problem in Adelaide, never had a game cancelled there and had many a muddy game but sports fields are more multi use as in Syd.
Had games overseas cancelled for frost/snow and they tend to schedule fewer games on the one field because of more constant rain but that means few clubd=s play with their 2nds 3rds etc which really takes away the club cameradery

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
from nswrugby.com.au

Updated 2:52pm, Friday 22 July
Fixture and venue information is subject to change. Please check back regularly.

Manly v Eastern Suburbs
1st Grade remains at Manly Oval
2nd, 3rd & 4th Grades – Postponed until further notice
All Colts – Postponed until further notice

Randwick v West Harbour
All Grades – Postponed until further notice

Sydney University v Penrith
1st & 2nd Grades remain at University Oval No.1.
3rd & 4th Grades – Postponed until further notice
Colts III – Postponed until further notice

Southern Districts v Northern Suburbs
All Colts – Venue change to Barden Ridge Sporting Complex

Warringah v Eastwood
All Grades – Postponed until further notice

Parramatta v Gordon
3rd & 4th Grades – Postponed until further notice
Colts I & II – Postponed until further notice

687fea91677be9103defb8dc0b97e8b7.gif

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Is it just me who finds that utterly ridiculous? I know it doesn't rain as much in Perth as it does in Sydney, but I've played in and been to plenty of games played in torrential downpours and I don't think it occurred to a single person to call them off.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Is it just me who finds that utterly ridiculous? I know it doesn't rain as much in Perth as it does in Sydney, but I've played in and been to plenty of games played in torrential downpours and I don't think it occurred to a single person to call them off.

But have you ever cleaned up after one of them? I see local councils causing this, not rugby people.

Grevious, when did you play up here?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not sure I understand the question. Generally speaking, people at the various clubs would try and make sure the facilities and grounds were in cleaned up after a weekend's footy. Maybe it's the sandy soil that Perth sits on, but I don't recall it being a massive issue. That is, apart from Riley Oval at the University of WA, which was our home ground at one point. Think Sydney Uni Oval #1 in the middle of winter. That was university, not council, property however.

I'd also add that the rugby clubs pay the local councils plenty of money to maintain these grounds.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
But have you ever cleaned up after one of them? I see local councils causing this, not rugby people.

Grevious, when did you play up here?

98, then 3 years in Alice, rain was BLISS there, still only comp in Oz that plays in summer and a Centralian one at that. Played with with Casuarina, hardest rugby ever in a NT wet season, You?

BTW...All games are off this WE here.

S

Stickybeak

Grievous - judging by that stag emblem you're going to know it rained in 2 weeks when you hit that Chatswood oval pitch after 2 weeks of sun and westerlies

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Grievous - judging by that stag emblem you're going to know it rained in 2 weeks when you hit that Chatswood oval pitch after 2 weeks of sun and westerlies

Dont play with the Highlanders anymore but you are right, Chatswood is a shocker, especially in front of the grandstand. 1sts and 2nds only train there thursdays as the council restricts use.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

The issue is not the downpours Sydney has had recently (as in the last week) but the additional effects of the constant rain so far this winter. The grounds are sodden and play on them won't just chop them up now it will destroy the whole structure of the field requiring not only re-grassing but a full rebuild.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Sounds like some sort of engineering solution needs to be found for that. It's not like it never rains in Sydney. From memory, the average is about 1200mm per year? I'm sure other places (like say, Auckland) where rainfall is similar have come up with something.

S

Stickybeak

The problem used to be the combination of rain and westerlies - the wind would burn off the grass. I don't know if they're using different grass or whether global warming killed off the westerlies (there certainly weren't many for about 10 years)...until it started raining again when El Nino broke down....that's another debate

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
98, then 3 years in Alice, rain was BLISS there, still only comp in Oz that plays in summer and a Centralian one at that. Played with with Casuarina, hardest rugby ever in a NT wet season, You?

BTW...All games are off this WE here.

Play for Palmerston but in 98 was having a run with Litchfield. People find Darwin hot but not as bad as Alice in Summer (wet season). I miss the wet season comp. Just stay clear of the scoreboard corner of Rugby Park after a storm. You could drown at the bottom of at ruck there.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
You play at 5pm or 7pm in Alice too so things cool down a fair bit, if there is no direct sun on you the dry heat is not too bad, I was surprised how quickly you got used to it. Darwin comp doesnt have thirds anymore but playing at 1pm in 98% humidity was a killer. Remember a game in Litchfield, it was 98 actually, played thirds after a few weeks off and had to play 2nds too, the grass was a foot high and the sun was hot, got 3rd degree sunburn, took days for me to recover from that match
Is Litchfield getting back into the fold, I know they are in 2nd grade but 5 teams in 1st grade is not good with a bye every week. Did they fold because they relied on league guys when the seasons were seperate?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
= no rugby.
Does anyone remember rugby in mud? Its seems its not allowed anymore, rain, council closes ground.
Is Brisbane as bad?

Its actually a legal and safety move, not a 'we dont want a wrecked ground' move. I play juniors in Sydney (notorious for having half the season cancelled due to a light shower) and I have been informed that if a player gets injured due to bad ground and rain, insurance doesnt cover it, and the council gets the blame. Adding to that is the issues of player safety etc...

Mudslides and rainy games are fucking fun though, but modern society has just ruined it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.