• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney University Football Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Sydney Uni vs. Northern Suburbs

Rounders' Day

SUPER SATURDAY!

Round 18 | Saturday 25th July

ImageProxy.mvc

Game Times

Saturday 25th July, 2015

Uni No.1 Oval, Sydney University
1st Grade - 3.10pm (televised game on 7TWO)
2nd Grade - 1.25pm
1st Colts - 11.50am
4th Grade - 10.45am
St Paul's College Oval, Sydney University
3rd Grade - 12.00pm
2nd Colts - 10.15am
3rd Colts - 9.00am

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
A big weekend for Sydney University Football Club

This Saturday marks a big day in the SUFC calendar. Not only is it our last game of the season at home, the last round we play for the Club Championship and Tom Carter’s 200th Grade game – it is the last time we will ever play on No. 1 Oval before moving to the new development at No.2 Oval in 2016.
This weekend we will also be celebrating “Rounders' Day” where we acknowledge the enormous work our volunteers put in each season at the club. This day is named after our most dedicated volunteer, the late Stephen Rowntree, affectionately known as 'Rounders'.
We would love to be able to pack out our ground on this momentous occasion, and being a 'Super Saturday' with all teams playing at home, there really is no excuse!
ImageProxy.mvc

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

This Saturday marks a big day in the SUFC calendar. Not only is it our last game of the season at home, the last round we play for the Club Championship and Tom Carter’s 200th Grade game – it is the last time we will ever play on No. 1 Oval before moving to the new development at No.2 Oval in 2016.
This weekend we will also be celebrating “Rounders' Day” where we acknowledge the enormous work our volunteers put in each season at the club. This day is named after our most dedicated volunteer, the late Stephen Rowntree, affectionately known as 'Rounders'.
We would love to be able to pack out our ground on this momentous occasion, and being a 'Super Saturday' with all teams playing at home, there really is no excuse!
ImageProxy.mvc

Well done to Tom Carter for playing on with the club after retiring from S15. A much maligned player, but his heart is obviously in the right place. I wish more players would stick around to help their clubs and mentor the next generation.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

ImageProxy.mvc
Well done Tummy.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Round 18 Review - A day of milestones for SUFC with a bonus point win over Norths to secure the Club Championship

ImageProxy.mvc

By Bruce 'China' Lin
A number of milestones were achieved last Saturday between Sydney University and Northern Suburbs besides a 52-12 victory. 200 club games for Tom Carter and recognising the contribution of volunteers on ‘Rounders Day’ named after our beloved late club icon Steve Rowntree’s 27 years of dedicated service. There was also the business of farewelling University No.1 Oval that grand old dame of Sydney club rugby where 101 test Wallabies have donned the blue and gold hoops since 1863.
Mingling amongst the healthy crowd on this sunny July afternoon were some of the club alumni of yesteryear. Past Wallabies such as Dr Dick Tooth perched in the gold members area, Phil Waugh was imparting words to the players and that aficionado of French cuisine and wine, the ebullient Rupert Rosenblum could be seen shaking hands and chatting with all and sundry.
On such a significant day the Norths Shoremen were first to score. University were attacking and recycling the ball quickly. The ball was passed to the left when the Norths winger Woolf anticipated the ball and gladly received it. With all University personnel caught flat in the line the Norths pilferer ran the whole length of the field for an easy try.
ImageProxy.mvc

But the converted try was short lived for Norths. University managed to secure the ball inside the Norths quarter following a bumping run by prop Tom Robertson. Constant recycling resulted in a short ball delivered to number eight Mitch Whiteley who scored a converted try.
The quick tap formula was soon after exploited when centre Jim Stewart took a tap from an awarded penalty. Carter received the ball and shifted the ball to the left. Tom Kingston injecting himself into the backline at fullback received the ball and applied some bewildering pace to score. University were focused on keeping the ball alive at every opportunity and shutting down the Norths attack through some strong resolute defence.
The 1971 flick Get Carter saw a bevy of villains try and neutralize a cockney gangster called Jack Carter. But University’s abrasive Carter, Tom was made of the same fabric as he was unstoppable. Receiving a ball following a bust by his partner Jim Stewart, a big swan dive was executed by Carter . This was just a reminder from Carter to the Norths supporters perched on the hill that he cared for them.
ImageProxy.mvc

Further tries were scored courtesy of Kingston setting up winger Narracott in the hill corner and Carter again where he tore through a gap more abominable than a Donald Trump comb over on a good day! There was nothing stopping the Students power play. Captain David Hickey completed the first half when he ripped straight through a Norths defensive gap for a half time lead of 38-7.
The Students had finished hard and fast for the first half and there were expectations that they could continue their high powered rugby after the half time break.
Again Norths struck first against University when their forwards were cohesively picking and driving for a try. Their endeavours saw them avoid a calamitous one try fractured fairy tale. Norths players were trying hard to get over the advantage line but University were comprehensively out muscling them.
ImageProxy.mvc

The Students did not continue the first half try fest but were more focused on holding out a gallant Norths team. After a sustained period in which University were pounding the Norths tryline, Angus Roberts at five eighth set up University’s seventh try and a return to University Oval for Waratahs skipper second rower Dave Dennis. Roberts ran towards the tryline but offloaded a short flat ball near the line for Dennis to smash over. Scoreline showed University leading 45-12 but University were still intent to increase the scoreline.
This came to fruition courtesy of Jim Stewart. The ball was being passed through the hands just inside the Norths half when it reached Stewart. On so many occasions during the season Stewart applied his signature right hand fend to a covering defender who grasped thin air. Stewart was in the clear and pinned his ears back to race 40 metres towards the line for the Students final try.
The remaining time saw some over exhuberance by the Students in their quest for an extra try. A series of knock-ons thwarted this mission and the full time siren sounded to finish the game and a moment in history.
ImageProxy.mvc

University had won the Sydney club championship once again. Amongst the backslaps and smiles after the game there was still the main theme that the season was still not over. With semi finals next week for a crack at the 2015 title all club men were aware that there is still some hard work ahead.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Finals Series

Semi Final 1 | Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd August

First Grade

Southern Districts v SUFC
Sunday 2nd August, 2015
Forshaw Rugby Park - 2.40pm
ImageProxy.mvc

Second Grade

ImageProxy.mvc
Randwick v SUFC
Sunday 2nd August, 2015
Forshaw Rugby Park - 12.55pm​
Third Grade

ImageProxy.mvc
SUFC v Randwick
Saturday 1st August, 2015
Manly Oval, Manly - 11.40am​

Fourth Grade

ImageProxy.mvc
SUFC v Southern Districts
Manly Oval, Manly - 10.15am​

First Colts

ImageProxy.mvc
SUFC v Gordon
Forshaw Rugby Park - 1.10pm​

Second Colts

ImageProxy.mvc

SUFC v Eastern Suburbs
Forshaw Rugby Park - 11.30am​

Third Colts

ImageProxy.mvc
SUFC v Northern Suburbs
Forshaw Rugby Park (Field 2) - 10.00am​

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Tom Carter's 200th Grade Game

On behalf of all at Sydney University Football Club, we would like to congratulate Tom again on his incredible milestone of 200 Grade games.
Sam Ryan from RugbyNews provides a lovely insight into Tom leading into the game which we have included just in case you missed it!
ImageProxy.mvc

Sam Ryan
RugbyNews

Whatever you think of Sydney Uni centre Tom Carter, it’s hard to find a player that’s had a bigger impact on the Shute Shield over the past decade.
The 32-year-old from Young in regional NSW will play his 200th match for Sydney Uni on Saturday and is now the club’s eighth most capped played.
“It’s something I’m incredibly proud of. My family have been around the club for more than 20 years, I’ve seen us at our lowest in the mid 90’s and then I’ve been fortunate to have been able to carry on the legacy of my brothers and some other great players, so it means a lot to me,” Carter told Rugby News.
Carter joined the Sydney Uni Colts program in 2001 and made his first grade debut two years later, scoring three tries against Penrith in 2003.
Since then, he’s played in eight first grade Grand Finals, as well as earning 76 caps for the Waratahs. Despite that, he found it difficult to pinpoint a particular highlight from his 15 years at the club.
“To be honest, the whole journey has been the most enjoyable bit, not one moment. That feeling before the game when you look your teammate in the eye in the blue and gold jersey, that means the most to me,” he said.
“Premiership wins are incredibly special. The first one in 2005, then 2009 was a unique experience where we played a very strong Randwick side. And obviously 2013, we had one of the best University sides ever fielded.”
For many, Carter is the figurehead for Sydney Uni’s dominance in recent years, ensuring he receives plenty of attention from rival fans – some of which he admits he brings upon himself – when the Students leave University Oval.
“I’m a totally different person off the field as I am on the field. When I cross that line, I want to do everything I can do to win for Sydney University.”
“I think that’s probably the hardest thing for people to realise, that when I’m off the field, I’m totally different to what I am on it.”
He recalled one afternoon at Nepean Rugby Park, as one of his most difficult:
“Back in 2004, I was playing with my brother out in Penrith and the opposition were sledging me on the far side, telling me I was living in my brothers shadow.
“I ended up swapping wings and went over the other side, but I could still hear them getting stuck into me.”
Whilst Carter said the negative attention used to get under his skin, he said he’d changed a lot as both a player and a person in recent years.
“With Tim Davidson retiring in 2013, I realised I had to grow up a lot, I also became a father and realised my rugby career was coming to an end,” Carter said
Following a changing of the guard after the 2013 premiership, Carter took on far greater responsibility as a leader and began to focus on mentoring the club’s next generation.
The likes of James Dargaville, Henry Clunies-Ross, Jake Gordon and Jim Stewart – just to name a few.
“I’ve been able to give back some lessons that I learnt along the way and have tried to point them in the path to avoid some the mistakes that I made over the years.”
“They are young and they make mistakes from time to time, but to try and help them learn about themselves, about the game and about life, that’s something I really treasure.”
Carter said he hadn’t ruled out playing past this season, admitting he is in better shape now than when he was playing professionally.
But with Chris Malone leaving at the end of the season, he said there’d be no better way to finish his career, than with a premiership.
“I think Manly, Eastwood and Souths are still the teams to beat. They’ve been the teams to beat all year and have all beaten us.”
“We need to improve and get a little more cohesion. If we can have the boys stay on the field in the next few weeks then we’ll be in a good position to give the finals a good crack.”
Considering the Students have won four of their last five matches and welcome back more Super Rugby players this week – it’s hard to rule them out.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
ImageProxy.mvc

Our 12th straight Club Championship!

To all players, coaches, volunteers, staff, sponsors, members, parents, families and supporters - without you all this incredible achievement would simply not be possible. Thank you for your commitment and ongoing support!

Up the Students!

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Semi Final 1 Review - History repeats in Semi Final against Souths, but not over this time for Students

ImageProxy.mvc

By Bruce 'China' Lin
In a game of contrasting halves, Southern Districts ultimately snatched the jaws of defeat with an extra time penalty goal. Five eighth Mc Gregors 40 metre penalty saw them truncate the score to defeat University 28-26 in Sundays semi final.
University were dominant in the first half with the Students recycling possession rapidly. Both sides were trading early penalties for a slight lead to the Students of 6-3.
When University applied the pressure inside the Rebels quarter the first try arrived. A five metre scrum was shifted to the left and number eight Pat McCutcheon ran hard to plant the ball over the line for a converted try to increase the scoreline to 13-3.
ImageProxy.mvc

Last weeks’ man of the moment Tom Carter continued where he left off for the next University try. Carter straightened the attack and passed to his outside partner Jim Stewart who split the defence to score another converted try.
University maintained a strong defensive line repelling any raids. Souths were tryless at the break a rare occurrence at their southern rugby fortress or the Shute Shields new planet Kepler 452B.
You would naturally think University would continue the high tempo first half after the break but Souths had other ideas. University could only kick an early penalty to lead 23-3 before a remarkable comeback from Souths. Some crucial defensive glitches were devastating for the Students.
Loose kicks and missed tackles were gladly received by the Souths dangerous outside backs who scored three broken field tries. Soon the score showed University just ahead 23-22. But soon penalties altered the scoreline to 25-23 favouring Souths with less than 15 minutes remaining.
University second half circadian dysrthymia was exploited by the Rebels. But a rare moment of luck came about 2 minutes from the end. University were attacking close to the Souths line when replacement prop Paddy Ryan attempted to crash over the line and knocked on. However the referee blew a penalty for offside play. Roberts potted the penalty for a lead of 26-25 with a minute remaining.
ImageProxy.mvc

Had Souths consulted a Haitian witch doctor behind the goal posts for the next sequence of play? After the kickoff University forfeited possession from a maul and then concede a heartbreaking penalty from a wheeled scrum. McGregor lined the kick and by the sound of the roar Souths were winners in an epic second half. It seemed groundhog day had befallen once again in the last play of the day between University and the Souths Rebels.
Undoubtedly it was disappointing to lose in that manner but the true test of University’s character will be at Manly Oval next Saturday in a do or die battle against the big Manly Marlins.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Finals Series

Semi Final 2 | Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th August

First Grade

Manly v SUFC
Saturday 8th August, 2015
Manly Oval, Manly - 2.40pm

ImageProxy.mvc

Second Grade

ImageProxy.mvc
Manly v SUFC
Manly Oval, Manly - 12.55pm​
Third Grade

ImageProxy.mvc
SUFC v Eastern Suburbs
Manly Oval, Manly - 11.20am​

Fourth Grade

ImageProxy.mvc
SUFC v Manly
Manly Oval, Manly - 9.55am​

First Colts

ImageProxy.mvc
SUFC v Eastern Suburbs
Sunday 9th August, 2015
Forshaw Rugby Park - 3.00pm​

Second Colts

ImageProxy.mvc

SUFC v Northern Suburbs
Sunday 9th August, 2015
Forshaw Rugby Park - 1.20pm​

Third Colts

ImageProxy.mvc
SUFC v Southern Districts
Sunday 9th August, 2015
Forshaw Rugby Park - 11.50am​

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Semi Final 2 Review - Marlins prove too strong for Sydney Uni in knock-out Semi Final

ImageProxy.mvc

By Bruce 'China' Lin
Chinese superstitions of good luck on the 8th day of the 8th month unfortunately did not befall Sydney University last Saturday at Manly Oval. Again it was a day of two halves as the Marlins in a twelve minute period effectively extinguished the grand final hopes of University with a 42-22 victory.
The first half saw the Students run the ball at every opportunity. The young backline led by Tom Carter were making territory over the advantage line. In one scenario University attacked inside the Manly half and Carter pushed inside the Manly 22 metre area. The ball was shifted quickly to the left and Angus Roberts gave a delicate no look off load to Captain David Hickey who ran through to score under the posts for a 7-0 lead.
University were not there to enjoy the late winter sun and recommenced to attack within Manly’s territory. University were able to form a lineout five metres out.
ImageProxy.mvc

The subsequent throw somehow missed all designated jumpers and trickled towards the back of the lineout. But with those bushcraft skills developed in his formative years around Coonabarabran, David Hickey pounced on the ball and darted towards the goalposts for his second try. The conversion adjusted the score to 14-0. University had started strongly but Manly soon countered with a stroke of luck.
A turnover saw the ball diagonally kicked to the western flank. The ball unexpectedly bounced high and was regathered midair. Manly second rower Sigg scored in the hill corner before the throng of Manly pseudo intelligentsia perched on the hill. A 14-5 scoreline quickly changed to 14-8 with a penalty.
Manly had shaken off their cob webs and were stringing together phases of play. An attacking lineout saw them score another try but a series of penalties to both teams saw the scoreline oscillate before the half time bell. Scoreline was 18-17 to Manly and the big crowd was eagerly waiting for the second half to see who were going to be first to reach next weeks grand final.
ImageProxy.mvc

The commencement of the second half started as the amuse- bouche for a degustation offering. The kickoff was received by the slippery University winger Matt Narracott. Naracott with incredible foot speed zig zagged down field to score a try in the score board corner.
However the early setback had the effect of inspiring the Manly team. A bewildering 12 minutes saw 4 tries scored which effectively flattened University. No matter how hard University attempted to gain field position, a turnover, or penalty would stop any momentum.
A disappointing end to the season without doubt. But the brave heart reserve grade showed their spirit by downing favourites Manly for a berth at Concord Oval next week. With all three colts recording great wins on Sunday, there is still enough passion to come from the blue and gold hoops fraternity for the big show next week.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Finals Series

Grand Finals | Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th August

ImageProxy.mvc

Benn Melrose in front of the Colin Caird Shield after missing out on the title in last years' Grand Final - 2nd Grade will be back with a vengeance for 2015!
Second Grade

ImageProxy.mvc
Randwick v Sydney Uni
Saturday 15th August, 2015
Concord Oval - 12.50pm​
First Colts

ImageProxy.mvc
Randwick v Sydney Uni
Sunday 16th August, 2015
Forshaw Rugby Park - 3.00pm​

Second Colts

ImageProxy.mvc
Sydney Uni v Randwick
Sunday 16th August, 2015
Forshaw Rugby Park - 1.00pm​

Third Colts

ImageProxy.mvc
Sydney Uni v Randwick
Sunday 16th August, 2015
Forshaw Rugby Park - 11.15am​

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
2015 Season

It is hard to believe that the 2015 has now finished - 18 rounds, two weeks of semis and a week of finals have flown by! The club can be proud of its achievements - a Club Championship, which came right down to the wire and was a massive effort by all, and four premierships (2nd Grade, 1st Colts, 2nd Colts and 3rd Colts).
I must on behalf of the club extend my thanks to all our sponsors, in particular Tony and Josephine from Buildcorp. The commitment to rugby from you both goes above and beyond. SUFC is so very fortunate to have your continued support. To our Premium sponsors Ozsale, Australia Post and Urbanest - thank you. And to all our club sponsors - without you this club could not provide the level of professional service to our players it does and I thank you also.
To our SUFC Volunteers - of which there are too many to name - thank you, thank you. Without your help each week throughout the season the club could not run. The full time staff and all the players notice the hard work you put in on game days and behind the scenes. SUFC is built on its tremendous volunteers and I have never encountered more passionate supporters of a club.
To our SUFC members - rain, hail or shine you come to our home and away games. It means so much to the playing group to see the blue and gold in the audience and hear a cheer when a great moment of play happens or a try is scored. Thank you. I look forward to seeing you all in 2016!
The playing season may be over for the Shute Shield but there is still a chance to reunite with fellow SUFC supporters at our 2015 Trivett RWC Lunch on Friday 25th September. I encourage you to buy a ticket or table and join us on this terrific day.
Lastly if you didn't make it to the Stars first home game on Thursday please join the team this Saturday at Leichhardt. The Stars are shinning and it is great to see so many Uni players step up to this next level of competition.
Up the Students!
Hannah Catchpole (General Manager)

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Full Club Training has commenced

Sydney University Football Club commenced full Club pre-season training on Tuesday February 2nd 2016.
Training will now continue every Tuesday and Thursday at St Paul's Oval from 6.30pm until 8.00pm (players are asked to arrive at 6pm to be ready to start at 6.30pm). Please bring your joggers.
ImageProxy.mvc

A great turn out at our first full Club Training of the year, and the boys were presented to by some of our Leadership Group
All new and existing players are welcome to come along.
Locations subject to change in near future (this will be communicated at training).
New Players
Any new players interested in joining the club for 2016 with specific questions are asked to email the club (sufc@sport.usyd.edu.au) and your query will be passed on to the appropriate coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.