• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs Player of the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Now that the Tahs have been dumped, time to nominate your player of the season. Will be interesting to see how this reconciles with the 321s that have been collected all season.

3rd place : Kane Douglas - was given a chance and well and truly took it. Should be in the BaBas squad - at least.....

2nd place : Drew Mitchell - the Schmoo had lots of naysayers earlier when he first signed (yours truly included) but showed us all up with some enterprising play and hard work throughout the season. If only he could be more consistent, he would be truly great player.

1st place : TPN - by a county mile. That man would crawl across broken glass with a busted leg and blood pouring out of his head if it meant he could smash someone in the next tackle or ruck. Set the example all season and last night was pretty much Robinson Crusoe in terms of effort and achievement.

Honourable mentions :

Beale - most improved player
Horne - if only those hammies would hold up
Mowen - admirable stand in at #8 (although he should really be at 6)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
3. TPN
Daylight next
2. Schmoo
1. Beale

Honorable mentions to Turner, Horne, Carter at 12, Mowen, Douglas, Mumm and Baxtah. Waugh was both the best and the worst of the year. He played magnificently but his captaincy decisions were limited by his belief that there is only one way to play.

Maybe if you followed the Saders you would say it was a poor season, but for the Tahs it was better than lots of others and overall not too bad. The main problem is the lack of bone-deep playing culture. As a result we can play brilliant football a la Chiefs and Canes, flawed but brilliant football a la Bulls or games like the two Stormers and the Clan. But we haven't got a way of playing that we revert to under stress that is successful. How you play under pressure is the mark of the team.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Forwards:

3. Tatafu Polota-Nau. IS HE EVEN HUMAN????
2. Wycliff Palu. Played 8 games and was better then most
1. Waugh & Mumm. Great leadership, consistent performance every week.

Special mentions: Douglas (rookie of the year for sure), Alcock & McCutcheon looking to be Waugh's successors in no. 7

Backs:

3. Drew Mitchell. Destined for the Wallabies
2. Lachie Turner. In career best form. Got pace and skill and is almost perfect under the high ball.
1. Kurtley Beale. Was patient and found his position.

Special Mentions: Halangahu; in career best as well. Horne; Mortlock's replacement and Carter at 12. If only he could play there for uni.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
3. TPN - 'nuff said
2. Drew 'the Schmoo' Mitchell
1. Phil 'The Demented Dwarf' Waugh

Rookie of the year Douglas, honourable mention to Horne, Most Improved to Beale, Meritorious Conduct to Baxter, Turner and Halangahu. Encouragement Awards to Alcock and McCutcheon.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Noddy, are you going to give us a week-by-week countdown, Brownlow style, or just the end of season totals. Some players went from champion to crap, or injured, and some went from crap to quite good. Barnes, Beale and Mitchell would be in that category.

I'm tipping TPN to win it, but I can barely remember the start of the season and whether or not we were voting for him.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
1. Palu - It was obvious how much we missed him
2. TPN - Possibly the the only other forward who put his hand up in each game he played.
3. Shmoo - Best of the backs.

Rookie - Douglas. No question.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
A lot of "Rookie of the Year" nominations floating around, I think a one off 3-2-1 vote from each person for the G&GR Rookie of the Year is in order. Who can be nominated as a rookie? Whats the criteria?

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
To me a rookie would a player who played their first regular season Super game this year.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
MrMouse said:
3. TPN - 'nuff said
2. Drew 'the Schmoo' Mitchell
1. Phil 'The Demented Dwarf' Waugh

Rookie of the year Douglas, honourable mention to Horne, Most Improved to Beale, Meritorious Conduct to Baxter, Turner and Halangahu. Encouragement Awards to Alcock and McCutcheon.

+1

Mumm must be close for 2nd or 3rd placed forward.

and surprise performance of the season: Tilse against the Canes and Stormers

Cyril Towers (30)
3. TPN
2. Waugh (c'mon people, he bleeds blue!)
1. Baxter (he's in the form of his career)

Mitchell next
Cliffy was great before he left and probably would have got it had he not been crocked
Beale was impressive in 4 games
Turner came good at the end
Mumm was Mumm. Consistently good and worked hard.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scarfman said:
Noddy, are you going to give us a week-by-week countdown, Brownlow style, or just the end of season totals. Some players went from champion to crap, or injured, and some went from crap to quite good. Barnes, Beale and Mitchell would be in that category.

I'm tipping TPN to win it, but I can barely remember the start of the season and whether or not we were voting for him.

I don't recall Mitchell being average at the start of the season. I thought he was good all the way through?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scotty said:
Scarfman said:

I don't recall Mitchell being average at the start of the season. I thought he was good all the way through?
Yeah, I would say Schmoo has been consistently good this year. Some games he may not have got much ball with the midfield kick-a-thon.

Status
Not open for further replies.