• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs v Rebels Rnd 6 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Of course everyone could've written him off before he played a game but it was after the trials when people still doubted him. He carved up the trials and yet people said it meant nothing and he'd be found out in the real games..

kabbear

Frank Nicholson (4)
I had about 10 schooners pre match so excuse me if I missed a few things

You obviously weren't drinking at the stadium - ....I tried to get a drink 10 mins into the second half...there was a queue of 50+ and three people serving! I gave up!!!

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i have now had a chance to look again at a replay of friday nights game. cooler headed and with slow mo replays and the wisdom of greater sobriety.
the rebels actually played pretty good rugby especially in the first half. the waratahs defence was in hindsight, very good and this i think made the rebels attack look pedestrian and disjointed.
in the second half the rebels could not build any sustained momentum because of their high error rate in attack. as i keep saying, some poor options, soft turnovers and a lot of execution errors, quite a few unforced. at least two clear try scoring opportunities went begging because of a poor pass or poor kick.
the positives were a lot less kicking, mcmahon (again), jones, inman and ellison in the centres.
the negatives, burgo had his worst defensive game, badly reading the play on two occasions, the forward runners were often static, angus roberts just not up to sup 15 standard i am afraid.
there is plenty to work with and on, i wonder whether totality tony is up to the task.

the waratahs were pretty impressive really

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Having rewatched the game, I think some of the criticisms of Angus Roberts were a bit over the top.

I agree he had a shocker and shouldn't be in the 23 but some of the hyperbole was ridiculous.

For the first try by Alofa, he did miss Alofa but there was also Hooper unmarked on the inside and Alofa's footwork is without doubt excellent. Any fullback trying to come across and hedge their bets against the ball runner and an unmarked man on their inside will be left grasping at air every time unless the attacking team completely butchers it. This try was going to happen from the moment the cut out pass went over the top and the Tahs had a big break.

Getting yellow carded was silly, but the kick was very well placed and it looked like he didn't really have any particularly good options to take. At least he didn't end up like Jacobus van Wyk of the Stormers letting Robbie Coleman score a try from nothing.

I think the game overall was better than some are indicating. It was very physical in the first half and whilst the Tahs could have been a lot more accurate with their passing play and made better decisions, they were strong and physical and wore the Rebels down. I thought Dave Dennis' comments at the press conference were pretty accurate in terms of feeling like the Tahs were getting on top of the Rebels as the first half wore on and felt like the points would come in the second half as a result of that.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Having rewatched the game, I think some of the criticisms of Angus Roberts were a bit over the top.

I agree he had a shocker and shouldn't be in the 23 but some of the hyperbole was ridiculous.

For the first try by Alofa, he did miss Alofa but there was also Hooper unmarked on the inside and Alofa's footwork is without doubt excellent. Any fullback trying to come across and hedge their bets against the ball runner and an unmarked man on their inside will be left grasping at air every time unless the attacking team completely butchers it. This try was going to happen from the moment the cut out pass went over the top and the Tahs had a big break.

Getting yellow carded was silly, but the kick was very well placed and it looked like he didn't really have any particularly good options to take. At least he didn't end up like Jacobus van Wyk of the Stormers letting Robbie Coleman score a try from nothing.

I think the game overall was better than some are indicating. It was very physical in the first half and whilst the Tahs could have been a lot more accurate with their passing play and made better decisions, they were strong and physical and wore the Rebels down. I thought Dave Dennis' comments at the press conference were pretty accurate in terms of feeling like the Tahs were getting on top of the Rebels as the first half wore on and felt like the points would come in the second half as a result of that.

Still he doesn't deserve to be in the match squad and I can't see how anyone without a good boot would ever be placed there under this coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.