• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs v Reds Trial Sat 24 Jan Toowoomba

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Head Coach Chris Hickey has named 15 players with Super 14 experience in a 28-man squad to take on the Queensland Reds in the HSBC Waratahs' first trial of 2009.
Brett Sheehan returns from the Spring Tour to take on the Reds in the Waratahs first trial of 2009.

Brett Sheehan returns from the Spring Tour to take on the Reds in the Waratahs first trial of 2009.

With the exception of Brett Sheehan who has been named on the bench, all other Wallabies from the 2008 Spring Tour have been rested for the first game of the year at Toowoomba on Saturday.

"Since we returned from the Development Tour of Fiji in October we've been working towards this match and it's time to test our preparation in a match situation," said Head Coach Chris Hickey.

"This match is about testing our structures, but it also presents the first real opportunity for players to put their hand up for selection ahead of the Super 14."

While the squad features a number of Junior Waratahs and club players, Sam Norton-Knight, Matt Carraro, Tom Carter, Kurtley Beale, Will Caldwell, Rob Horne and Sheehan were all part of the Waratahs side in the 2008 Super 14 Final and will feature in the team's first hit out of the season.

New recruits Scott Fava (No.8) and Peter Playford (wing) have both been named in the starting XV, as have lock Chris Thomson and prop Dan Palmer who this year have been elevated to the Waratahs Super 14 squad.

Hickey has included props Martin Plotskys (Gordon) and Tim Archibald (Northern Suburbs), hooker Nath Nicol (Gordon) and outside back Mark Preston (Gordon) in the squad to help bolster the squad in positions hit by injury.

Tim Bennetts, who this time last year was preparing to begin his Higher School Certificate, will start on one wing, with Hickey regarding the match as a chance for many players to prove their ability at the highest level.

"We know Queensland will be without a number of their internationals as well, but this match is going to be extremely hard fought and it's a chance for quite a few players to show they can handle this level," said Hickey. "If they take that opportunity and put into practise what we've been preparing for all pre-season then we'll come out of the trial with the answers we're looking to find.

"That's what trials are all about."

The squad will travel to Brisbane on Friday ahead of Saturday's trial in Toowoomba before returning to Sydney on Sunday. The squad will then go into camp in the Hunter Valley on Tuesday 27 January before the Waratahs' second pre-season match against the Fiji Warriors at Newcastle's EnergyAustralia Stadium on Friday 30 January.

Super 14 Trial
QUEENSLAND REDS V HSBC WARATAHS
Saturday 24 January 2009 (Kick-off 7:30pm AEST, 8:30pm AEDT)
Gold Park, Toowoomba

HSBC WARATAHS
1. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)
2. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood)
3. Dan Palmer (Southern Districts)
4. Chris Thomson (Warringah)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
6. Ben Mowen (Randwick)
7. Ben Coridas (Eastwood)
8. Scott Fava (Eastwood)
9. Jeremy Su'a (Penrith)
10. Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs)
11. Peter Playford (Sydney University)
12. Tom Carter (Sydney University)
13. Matt Carraro (Randwick)
14. Tim Bennetts (Eastwood)
15. Sam Norton-Knight (Northern Suburbs)
Reserves
16. Nath Nicol (Gordon)
17. Martin Plotskys (Gordon)
18. Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
19. Will Caldwell (Sydney University)
20. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University)
21. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
22. Brett Sheehan (Warringah)
23. Tim Archibald (Northern Suburbs)
25. Lachlan McCaffrey (Eastwood)
26. Sitiveni Mafi (Parramatta)
27. Mark Preston (Gordon)
29. Rowan Kellam (Eastwood)
30. Mitch Inman (Sydney University)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Re: The Tahs 2009

I bet Brett Sheehan is the only Wallaby tourist to play the first trial.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Noddy said:
Super 14 Trial
QUEENSLAND REDS V HSBC WARATAHS
Saturday 24 January 2009 (Kick-off 7:30pm AEST, 8:30pm AEDT)
Gold Park, Toowoomba

HSBC WARATAHS
1. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)
2. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood)
3. Dan Palmer (Southern Districts)
4. Chris Thomson (Warringah)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
6. Ben Mowen (Randwick)
7. Ben Coridas (Eastwood)
8. Scott Fava (Eastwood)
9. Jeremy Su'a (Penrith)
10. Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs)
11. Peter Playford (Sydney University)
12. Tom Carter (Sydney University)
13. Matt Carraro (Randwick)
14. Tim Bennetts (Eastwood)
15. Sam Norton-Knight (Northern Suburbs)
Reserves
16. Nath Nicol (Gordon)
17. Martin Plotskys (Gordon)

18. Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
19. Will Caldwell (Sydney University)
20. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University)
21. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
22. Brett Sheehan (Warringah)
23. Tim Archibald (Northern Suburbs)
25. Lachlan McCaffrey (Eastwood)

26. Sitiveni Mafi (Parramatta)
27. Mark Preston (Gordon)
29. Rowan Kellam (Eastwood)
30. Mitch Inman (Sydney University)

can we get a heads up on the bolded lads please?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Coach Chris Hickey has named 15 players with Super 14 experience in a 28-man Waratahs squad to take on the Queensland Reds in their first trial match of 2009.

With the exception of Brett Sheehan who has been named on the bench, all other Wallabies from the 2008 Spring Tour have been rested for the first game of the year at Toowoomba on Saturday.

"Since we returned from the Development Tour of Fiji in October we've been working towards this match and it's time to test our preparation in a match situation," said Head Coach Chris Hickey.

"This match is about testing our structures, but it also presents the first real opportunity for players to put their hand up for selection ahead of the Super 14."

While the squad features a number of Junior Waratahs and club players, Sam Norton-Knight, Matt Carraro, Tom Carter, Kurtley Beale, Will Caldwell, Rob Horne and Sheehan were all part of the Waratahs side in the 2008 Super 14 Final and will feature in the team's first hit out of the season.

New recruits Scott Fava (No.8) and Peter Playford (wing) have both been named in the starting XV, as have lock Chris Thomson and prop Dan Palmer who this year have been elevated to the Waratahs Super 14 squad.

Hickey has included props Martin Plotskys (Gordon) and Tim Archibald (Northern Suburbs), hooker Nath Nicol (Gordon) and outside back Mark Preston (Gordon) in the squad to help bolster the squad in positions hit by injury.

Tim Bennetts, who this time last year was preparing to begin his Higher School Certificate, will start on one wing, with Hickey regarding the match as a chance for many players to prove their ability at the highest level.

"We know Queensland will be without a number of their internationals as well, but this match is going to be extremely hard fought and it's a chance for quite a few players to show they can handle this level," said Hickey. "If they take that opportunity and put into practise what we've been preparing for all pre-season then we'll come out of the trial with the answers we're looking to find.

"That's what trials are all about."

The squad will travel to Brisbane on Friday ahead of Saturday's trial in Toowoomba before returning to Sydney on Sunday. The squad will then go into camp in the Hunter Valley on Tuesday 27 January before the Waratahs' second pre-season match against the Fiji Warriors at Newcastle's EnergyAustralia Stadium on Friday 30 January.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
No world beaters here.

Tim Bennetts has been the always injured NSW schoolboy centre (other than Cam Mitchell) of 2008 and 2007. He got into the 2008 Oz A Schools team despite not being able to make it it to the Schools tournament. Was in the amateur JWs last year whilst still at school. Have only seen him on the wing when he was in Yr.11 but looked like a good footie player.

Nath Nicol
was a handy hooker at Joeys a while back now and made Oz A Schools. Is usually a backup to Gluth at Gordon. Can't remember him a lot in club rugby to be honest, but enough to say that he is not a patch on Damien Fitzpatrick who is starting in the trial.

Martin Plotskys like Nicol, usually plays in the Gordon 2nd grade team but has made the odd appearance in 1st grade. Can't remember his play either. LHP who can play THP at a stretch.

Tim Archibald Tough bastard. THP but like the others, doesn't look like Super 14 rugby material. At least he is a regular in 1st grade.

Lachlan McCaffrey Excellent NSW Schools no.8 in 2007 and played better than Jake Schatz in the Schools tournament, but Schatz made the Oz Schools Ones and McCaffrey, the Twos. Have seen him come off the bench for Eastwood but started in 2nd grade because the Eastwood backrow is hard to crack. Didn't look like he had put on a lot of weight since leaving school.

Mark Preston is a smallish neat fullback who nevertheless has a good tackling technique. Regular 1st grader.

R

rugbywhisperer

So Lee, what are the NSW selectors looking for with such a young and appearingly inexperienced side at Toowoomba? It certainly doesn't appear to be going to reach too many highs but I'm sure it's a great fillup for the newbies.

And yes, Elsom was magnificent as were most if not all the SH players at the weekend.
Just goes to show.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It was always the intention of the Tahs to play the 1st trial with mostly Wannabies. They won't start their real team until the third trial. The second one will be in between.

I'd be surprised if the Reds don't play their Wannabies too at Toowoomba and had always planned that way.

Having said that, most of the Tahs trial 1st XV will get a run in the S14 this year but Fitzpatrick, Douglas, Coridas, Su'a and, I assume, Bennetts, are all in the professional JWs and won't play S14 unless there are injuries to contracted S14 players in their spot.

Was hoping that 12 David Tautaiolefue would get a run. He is virtually unknown except to the cognoscenti of Sydney club rugby, but he was added to the Junior Waratahs for 2009. Since he is not named in the 22 and some amateurs have been named, he is probably not a professional as I thought - or injured.

This is a big match for all the players except SNK and Beale whose qualities are already known.

Was a bit surprised that Halangahu didn't get a start; so am fairly sure that he will start in the 2nd trial.

Anyone going to the match? I would like reports on lock Douglas and hooker Fitzpatrick. Ta.

R

rugbywhisperer

Lee Grant said:
It was always the intention of the Tahs to play the 1st trial with mostly Wannabies. They won't start their real team until the third trial. The second one will be in between. I'd be surprised if the Reds don't play their Wannabies too at Toowoomba and had always planned that way.

In kind I was surprised young Slipper wasn't included on the Qld bench after training so well and good EOYT.
Not bothering to go but I will keep an ear to the ground - Bruce Holden of 15ManRugby should have a report up by Sunday morning.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
Lee Grant said:
It was always the intention of the Tahs to play the 1st trial with mostly Wannabies. They won't start their real team until the third trial. The second one will be in between. I'd be surprised if the Reds don't play their Wannabies too at Toowoomba and had always planned that way.

In kind I was surprised young Slipper wasn't included on the Qld bench after training so well and good EOYT.
Not bothering to go but I will keep an ear to the ground - Bruce Holden of 15ManRugby should have a report up by Sunday morning.

have you seen a team?

theres a lot of props to fit in - Holmes, Edwards, Weekes, Kennedy and Daley

T

TOCC

i may be going to this match, i start work back in Toowoomba on Tuesday and have a Australia Day party to go to on Sunday in Toowoomba, so im considering it.

I dont have anyone to go with thats the only problem, my other mates from work arent heading back to Toowoomba until Monday, i might just rock up and hope that i run into some of the boys i played rugby with up there.

Pre-season matches are usually average matches anyway.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Let's see if I can beat Noddy to this:

Mooney mixes it up for opening QR Reds rugby trial
McLinden to debut against NSW in Toowoomba
Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Rugby league convert Mark McLinden will get his first taste of professional rugby when he runs on at fullback for the QR Reds against the Waratahs at Gold Park in Toowoomba on Saturday night.

Former Canberra Raider McLinden is a rugby league veteran but is the least experienced rugby union player in Reds' coach Phil Mooney's 50-50 mix of young guns and 11 players with Investec Super14 experience in a trial squad of 23.

Another league convert, wing Rod Davies, has more recent rugby experience than McLinden, having joined the Reds on their 2008 Development Tour of the UK and played for Australian Schools in 2006 in a backline that also included Reds' Wallaby Quade Cooper and Waratahs flyhalf Kurtley Beale.

Mooney said McLinden had performed well in training but now needed game time to fast track his rugby education.

"Mark has done well in training and this week he's really picked up his intensity, which is a good indication that he's ready to play.

"Mark basically now needs to play rugby, just to familiarise himself with all the patterns and lines, and things like that."

Six members of the Reds' starting lineup have played Super 14, including the backrow of Scott Higginbotham, Poutasi Luafutu and Leroy Houston, while the bench includes former Wallaby centre Morgan Turinui and Reds' scrum half Will Genia.

In the absence of six 2008 Wallabies, including flyhalf Quade Cooper and inside centre Berrick Barnes, Mooney will run new signing Anthony Fainga'a at flyhalf, with an experimental centre pairing of Charlie Fetoai and utility back Brando Va'aulu.

Mooney described the Reds' midfield combination as "pretty physical".

"I think we've picked a pretty physical midfield this week and I'm looking forward to seeing them take on NSW who have picked some established Super 14 players in their team," Mooney said.

Mooney has included three QAS Reds Academy players in his squad, including starting scrumhalf Brendan McKibbin, who also went on the Development tour and who recently returned from a stint with Eddie Jones' UK team Saracens, to give them a taste of top level rugby before the Super 14 season kicks off on February 14.

"Brendan is effectively our third halfback, so we think it's important that he gets some significant game time and this is the perfect opportunity," Mooney said.

Openside flanker Jake Schatz, the 2008 Premier Colt of the Year, and Australian Sevens wing Luke Morahan, who both also toured with the Reds late last year, are the other two Academy players in the 23.

"Schatzy's certainly a player that we see with a lot of ability so we'll give him some game time off the bench. He's one of a group of players who can take this opportunity to really put his hand up.

"Luke (Morahan) has done very well in the Sevens side and I know they've got big wraps on him there. Luke is a player we see with a big future. He's a big guy, close to 100kg and mobile, so I think Luke will make his mark in the not too distant future."

Mooney said the front row positions were "up for grabs" in 2009, with former Wallaby Greg Holmes the number one prop and Dayna Edwards, Ben Daley, Laurie Weeks and Jack Kennedy all competing for selection.

"Behind Greg, trial form will be important to establish the pecking order," Mooney said.

Powerful No 8 Leroy Houston, who has been laid low by a virus this week, has been selected as captain in the absence of regular skipper James Horwill (foot injury) and his anointed stand-in Berrick Barnes (knee).

"Leroy is one of our guys who played Super 14 last year and he's obviously an important player. I think it's important that he take on more responsibility, hence we've given him this leadership role in this game," Mooney said.

The squad is:

1 Ben Daley
2 James Hanson
3 Laurie Weeks
4 Robert Simmons
5 Adam Byrnes
6 Scott Higginbotham
7 Poutasi Luafutu
8 Leroy Houston (c)
9 Brendan McKibbin
10 Anthony Fainga'a
11 Rod Davies
12 Charlie Fetoai
13 Brando Va?aulu
14 Blair Connor
15 Mark McLinden

16 Saia Fainga'a
17 Jack Kennedy
18 Dayna Edwards
19 Jake Schatz
20 Will Genia
21 Morgan Turinui
22 Aidan Toua
23 Luke Morahan

The match kicks off at 7pm and will be preceded by three curtain raiser games:

2:30pm - Darling Downs Under 14 v Easts (Brisbane) U14
3:45pm - Darling Downs U19 v Sunnybank (Brisbane) U19
5:20pm - Junior Reds Development Squads - Darling Downs U15 v Gold Coast U15

There will also be Walla Rugby demonstration games between local junior teams at halftime in the main match.

The Reds will wear white jerseys with red piping for the trial match.

Tickets are available for pre-sale through Ticketek.com.au. Adults $20, Family (2 adults and two juniors) $40, Juniors (15 and under) $7.50.

The Reds? next trial will be on January 30 against the Blues in Auckland, New Zealand, with their final pre-season hitout a Ballymore trial against the Western Force on Thursday, February 5.

So Slipper did make it?

Fainga'a at fly half? Fetoai and Va'aulu in the centres?

Confirmation of McKibbin as the third halfback.

Schatz an openside? Mistake?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well done Ash.

- so apart from the recent Wallaby tourists, no Lucas, Braid, Holmes, Hardman or Humphries.
- Schatz (in the article at least) listed as an openside, with no Andrew Shaw in site either.
- I like that centre combo, as a back up at least. v Cater and Carraro it will be the battle of the crash ballers.
- McKibbon again listed as being in the academy despite not being on the web site. And Mooney calls him #3 despite Swanepoel being listed in the academy. Fair enough though.
- that's a fiery lock combo
- electric speed in the back 3
So Slipper did make it?
- don't think so? :nta: can't see him there.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
just looking at that NSW team again, anyone else think that Timana Tahu should be playing? Unless he's still injured I would've thought he needs all the game time he can get. Or are the two (?) remaining trials sufficient?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, no Slipper...I was seeing things. Just looked at the stats of the kid though: 1.85m, 113kgs, 21 years old. Looks to have a decent build. Mooney didn't mention him though, so I am guessing that he's not part of his plans.

T

TOCC

that is a super quick backline for the Reds, good to see Luke Morahan on the bench, he sounds like a good young player and i wouldnt be suprised if he makes his S14 debut in 2009.

R

rugbywhisperer

Ash said:
Yeah, no Slipper...I was seeing things. Just looked at the stats of the kid though: 1.85m, 113kgs, 21 years old. Looks to have a decent build. Mooney didn't mention him though, so I am guessing that he's not part of his plans.
He is but just not yet. He is also one of the fastest forwards over the shorter distances. I also think Luke Moraghan is better suited to the 15 man game and has a future here but boy there are some really handy wingers coming thru in the next few years. Wing is one spot we are not short on in Australia.

F

formeropenside

It will be interesting to see how Luafutu goes at 7: not that he will keep Braid out of the 7 jersey, but to see to what might be in a few years time.

T

TOCC

Luafutu might be better off playing blindside flanker, depending on where McMenimen settles down, if MMM becomes a permanent lock then Luafutu might be able to snare the 6 jersey. His not exactly a good height for been a lineout jumper, but with the amount of lineoutds declining under the ELV's it may not be absolutely necessary to have 3 two meter tall lineout jumpers. Especially if the other 2 are McMenimen and Horwill.

Status
Not open for further replies.