• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs Vs Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Only just watched the game last night.

Firstly, well done to the brumbies, they withstood a fair amount of poressure early and scrambled well. They also played the most positive rugby of the game and it was good to see quick phase ball and passes going to players on the move. nevertheless I don't the the brumbies have the cattle to make the finals this year. I think they are a player or two short in the tight 5.

For the tahs, well it was more of the same really. A pretty good defensive performance but not a whole lot in attack. I am bemused that so much of the blame for our attack is being placed in beale. Frankly there are some deep rooted problems there. We just aren't any good at playing a expansive game at the moment. Our forwards are rarely delivering quick and quality ball from the ruck. When the ball does go wide, it is usually to backs that are standing flat footed and so they are forced to try some half arsed move or run sideways to try and make some space. Of course, the ball going wide seems to be a complete surprise to our forwards who are slow to get there and so, even if we do recycle it, its slow ball again for the next phase. I don't see how rotating the number 10 will change that, nor did it change when hangers came on at 10 during the last 20 mins V the brumbies (when the game was still in the balance).

On Beale specifically, I saw two major errors on the weekend. Firstly, he rushed up in defence when the brumbies scored the first try. Only horne and tiquiri were outside him and horne tried to go with beale. Both of them ended up in no mans land and that left the brumbies with plemnty of numbers and only tiquiri to beat. (In saying that, the brumbies first try came after the tahs pigs coudn't secure our own ball from the scrum allowing Smith to snaffle it giving the brumbies ball in space.) Beale second big mistake was his piss poor attempt at tackling Tyrone Smith. I don't see either of these as hangable offenses when there aren't any great alternatives.

As I said, I see the tahs problems as more deeply rooted and they aren't going to be solved in a week. In the meantime, I have been calling for the tahs to start taking field goals. My mates were aghast when I suggested it during the last 20 mins V the reds, but frankly I would rather see that than what i am currently seeing and I think it would suit the tahs current style of play.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fox Fantasy Stats has Beale making 8 tackles and missing 4.

My biggest concern was the Tahs inability to convert pressure into points. "If" the Tahs had kicked some goals it could have been something like 12 - 6 at half time.

But instead the Brumbies absorbed all the pressure and gained confidence after half time.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Sheehan, did he take a head knock? He wasn't anyway near his usual self.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Fox Fantasy Stats has Beale making 8 tackles and missing 4.

My biggest concern was the Tahs inability to convert pressure into points. "If" the Tahs had kicked some goals it could have been something like 12 - 6 at half time.

But instead the Brumbies absorbed all the pressure and gained confidence after half time.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Sheehan, did he take a head knock? He wasn't anyway near his usual self.

I didn't think he played THAT well?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Finally got around to watching this!

Jeez aren't the Canberra crowd just the most graceful you've ever heard? Especially given the leg-up their scrum got from Lawrence. The man has no idea.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Still, you've gotta love the enthusiasm the Brumbies showed - their work at tackle and ruck was awesome.

Back to the scrum - Henderson moved to THP late in the game and was getting so badly stuffed by Fat Cat that Smith was packing on Henderson's right shoulder as an extra loosehead! Wonder when refs will wise up to that trick; Smith has been doing it for years and its illegal as all get-out.

I hate when the dominant scrum is penalised. Still, this brings me to another topic... which I'll post elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.